Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mech Eldar
Closed Thread
Old 03 Apr 2005, 15:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Mech Eldar

Just wondering has anyone tried to do a fully mechanized eldar army? I mean I know we all take falcons (damn things are near indestructable), but what about 9 man guardian squads with a warlock in WS? I see the tau have done it, and in fact have a whole bible dedicated to the tatics. Do you think the eldar have similar potential? Or are guardians just inferior to tau fire warriors?

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

Void
Old 03 Apr 2005, 15:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Mech Eldar

I think mechanising an Eldar army would benefit the Guardians more than Devilfishes benefit Fire Warriors, because it make up for the Shuriken Catapults short range.
However it would be very expensive.
Old 03 Apr 2005, 16:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think Meching an Eldar force could be done...

You need fast, mobile troops...so Falcon, a Serpent or two, some Hawks, Spiders, Vypers and some Jetbikes....though maybe Shining Spears instead of guardian Jetbikes. Mount the farseer on a bike, attach some Warlocks to your bike squads, Serpents and Falcon and you've got a pretty mobile army...lotsa vehicles, lots of armor.

-M
Old 03 Apr 2005, 16:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restayvien
I think mechanising an Eldar army would benefit the Guardians more than Devilfishes benefit Fire Warriors, because it make up for the Shuriken Catapults short range.
However it would be very expensive.
hmm, actually this would just make your army very fragile as the gaurdians dont have much hard hitting power of their own, and in 10 man squads (or 9 and warlock) when they disembark from the wave serpent they cant do as much damage as a fire warrior team. Furthermore in genereal that wave seprent team is going to cost more than a FoF team for a fair deal less punch.

However having said that there are craftworlds which can be mechanised very successfully. Saim-han is an obvious choice, vypers holding up your heavy weapons, falcon can carry a squad, jetbikes, farseer on jetbike, wild riders, and a couple of wave serpents for aspect squads! Furthermore the other eldar army i see as being particulaly good for mechanistion is ulthwe, black gaurdians in wave serpents will be a lot more threatening then nromal garudian defneders or stormies, the seer council can travel in a WS/falcon....

Overall i think mechanisation can suit eldar rather nicely, however there are two main drawbacks that i can see -

1) very expensive squads, the waveserpent is not a cheap transport...nor is falcon for that matter meaning a very low model count most likely (however of course inside the wave serpent you are in safe territory!)

2) very expensive model wise! the wave serpent costs even more than a falcon...

Old 03 Apr 2005, 16:51   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Guardians have more hitting power than you'd think once they get close... (although bear in mind that when I talk about Guardians I'm ususally thinking of Ulthwe's Black Guardians, seeing as I collect Ulthwe).
However, in a Mech army, I think it would be worth spending the extra points on Dire Avengers for your Troops choices. :P
Old 03 Apr 2005, 16:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

indeed black gaurdians are a whole different topic ;D, thats why i think ulthwe could be mechanised fairly well, but saim hann has to be the best choice!

and i agree totally about dire avengers too, cheapest of the aspect warriors and can jump out to either fill the plugs in shooting or assault...and still fairly cheap!

Old 03 Apr 2005, 17:06   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Talking of Wave Serpents, mine arrived two days ago... that should bring my Ulthwe army to about 4500 points. I'll probably use it for my Wraithguard, or my Storm Squad, so that they can support my Swooping Hawks.
Old 03 Apr 2005, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

That's what I thought, Ulthwe could do well, the only down side, is that only two of your guardian squads are black guardians. I still think GW dropped the ball when designing Ulthwe, all the guardians should have been black guardians, not just compulsory troop choices. I actually think a mech eldar army would be more resilient then it's tau counterpart. A warlock with conceal would stand up better then tau and their 4+ armor save as conceal would work against any and all return fire (with the exception of flamers). Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if maybe we can steal their FoF tatic

Void
Old 03 Apr 2005, 21:59   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I agree, especially as the Codex says that Ulthwe Black Guardians are a standing army. A standing army of 20 men? Lol, get real.
Old 04 Apr 2005, 02:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Farseer
-JB
-Wychblade
-Mind War
100pts

10 DA
-WS
-TLSCannons
235pts

10 DA
-WS
-TLSCannons
235pts

4 Rangers
76pts

7 Scorps
-Exarch
-Claw
-Stealth
159pts

Falcon
-HF
-SS
-BL
190pts

operating on the same principles as MechTau, all those eldar skimmers are hell, and the infiltrators fulfill the same purpose as the two modes of kroot (cover hugging fire and countercharge) AT power is a bit light but if that is a real concern give the Seer a SS instead.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread