Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Biel Tan list needs to be finalized
Closed Thread
Old 18 Mar 2005, 15:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque
Default Biel Tan list needs to be finalized

OK really, its not a list yet, but Im gonna need some help on what to expand with here, so if you'd take a look at my stuff, and help me make a list? I play Biel Tan.

My army looks something like this. This is pretty final, as this is what I have. Most of which is bought second hand, and Im finished painting 95 % of it...

Farseer
warlock retinue ( I have 2, want to expand to 5 to make a mini seer council)

Troops are
Full squad of 5 Reapers, incl exarch (I have 3 reapers more. Should I make another small support reaper squad? Then I'll have 2 small reaper firebases...)
8 Dire avengers incl exarch
8 Banshees, incl exarch, with wave serpent

Fast attack
6 jetbikes, 2 of which have cannons... Not using them often
Swooping Hawks, 8 of them, with exarch. Love those guys!

Elites
Umm, I think 7-8 guardians, whom I use as a small heavy weapons squad. Often with a scatter laser or starcannon

Heavy
1 Prism
1 Wraithlord
2 War walkers, typically with ELM
1 Falcon

Ok, my plan is to part my forces in 2.

- I have the static part, my reapers, warwalkers and/or prism in the back, possibly with the guardians (who are NOT a meat shield, they are heavy weapon crew members!!!),

- the initial attack, swooping hawks, quick deployed banshees, fleeted guardian avengers, and the mini-seer coucil in a Falcon, and then the 2 CC monsters of the avatar and wraithlord to reinforce lastly

Ok my questions are, which of these heavy choices should I not use in my battles, compared to the rest of the force. And what aspect should I add up with, to get more troops? My thoughts would be either warpspiders, as they can keep up with my army, or scorps, as I can infiltrate them, so they can keep up that way. And besides both of these have the 3+ save!* Not dragons, even though they would be cool, I dont think they'd be able to keep up. So, I love the prism, and I love to field it, but it seems a bit unwise to bring it, if its not guided (and my farseer will be in the falcon).

Ok, now you see what I have. Requirements are, this should be a elite, biel tan army, I dont want guardians (several reasons, they die too quickly, which is not the eldar way to play imo (I suck at using them), and I dont wish to paint 20 models a squad, I reserve the hordes for my orks!!!). Ok, whom to field, spiders or scorps? Anything else? Rangers? Any suggestions on evil wargear combos for a 6 man council, stuff like that? Other comments?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Re: Biel Tan list needs to be finalized

I like that list alot. But I would make a few changes:

You said you wanted a mini seer ounil so here it is:
Farseer (fortune)
Warlcok (enhane)
Warlock (embolden)
Warlock (destructor)
Warlock (destructor)
Warlock (destructor)
All have witchblades.
(this is epensie but good. Keep the farseer re-rolling their saves and they'll be harder to kill.

Troops are
Full squad of 5 Reapers, incl exarch (I have 3 reapers more. Should I make another small support reaper squad?
(I'm not sure about having another reaper squad because i've never used them myself)
Then I'll have 2 small reaper firebases...)
8 Dire avengers incl exarch
8 Banshees, incl exarch, with wave serpent

definetely add another troop choice here. scorps would be my choice especially considering this list revolves around cc.

Fast attack
6 jetbikes, 2 of which have cannons... Not using them often (drop these) the points are better spent elsewhere, IMO jetbikes are only good in Saim-Hann lists.
Swooping Hawks, 8 of them, with exarch. Love those guys!

Elites
Umm, I think 7-8 guardians, whom I use as a small heavy weapons squad. Often with a scatter laser or starcannon (if you short of points I would definetely drop these)

Heavy
1 Prism (drop this) it's too inaccurate.
1 Wraithlord
2 War walkers, typically with ELM
1 Falcon
Old 18 Mar 2005, 23:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I agree with everything Freeman says apart from that bit about jetbikes. I think thy're actually quite useful but definitely drop Prism and guardians.
Also - where's the Court of the Young King? That's a great unit which kills anything in cc.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 23:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Weeeeelll, I thought about the COTYK, but as I also very much wants a mini-council, I thought that both that and a court would suck a whole load of points out of the army. But of course I asked for an elite army. If Im gonna get a Court, I has to consist of either pure Dire Avengers (Hey, where did all my 5 S8 attacks dissappear?) and with defense (imagine 5 of them and no avatar, they'd be invincible in combat... Or at least EXTREMELY difficult to remove!) But more likely would 5 fire dragon exarches be! An 18" range mean as hell tank killer unit with burning fists power attacks and stuff, you just gotta love them!!!

But hey, if you get this court at 400 points, and add the what, 300 points for the council, and I have got a very expensive army! Thats like 11 models HQ for 700 points! Smells of power gaming to you?

> > > The idea both attracts and disgust me, but it could be fun! What do you say?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 23:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would difinetely only take one. Having two very extrememly units is a bad idea. But I don't quite understand what you're saying about the dire avengers. for starters the exacrch only has 3 strength so it would double to 6 not 8 besides, powerweapons don't double strength.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 09:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

sorrry, that with the distract skill any mean power claw strenght 8 (or 6) sergeant or what not, will have his attacks reduced to 0...

But what are you saying? To get the cotyk or to not to get it? Should I skip the minicounil becasue of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman
I would difinetely only take one. Having two very extrememly units is a bad idea
I know they will use large amounts of points. but they will also dish out some serious arse, especially as the wraithlord will progress with the cotyk. The council of course can be bought cheaper than shown before, and I may have to do this, as I of course also would like to actually field some troops! Some aspects and such...

I think this army will get quite a few points in wargamers powergaming test*if I take both choices! :-\
Hope I can balance it out...* :
Old 19 Mar 2005, 10:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ahh, I see now.

What i'm saying is just get one. using both would be a bad idea. I don't really know which one to use. The choice is ultimately yours afterall. The only pros I can see for taking both is that you'd have 2 great cc units. The cons are that your sucking a whole heap of points out of your army. If they die (which is highly possible) you will lose a large porsion of your army and IMO it's a bit un-fluffy using to giant HQ's like that.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 14:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Agreed. I think its gonna come down to $$$, to see which HQ choice costs me the most to get.

Other than that, I think Im gonna go for Warp Spiders as my next troop choice, as I face Imperial Guard a lot. And then I will intsakill everything they touch!! I know it really doesnt matter, but its just cool!
Old 19 Mar 2005, 23:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you want my opinion go for the seers. It'll cost you more $$$ but you have to admit, they look so cool. Not to mention how great they can be in close combat.

I've never been a great fan of the avatar. Expecially now i've found out that (correct me if i'm wrong) but the wailing doom doesn't actually do anything.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 07:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman
Expecially now i've found out that (correct me if i'm wrong) but the wailing doom doesn't actually do anything.
Yeah, I was really annoyed about that. I was certain that (like the witchblade) the rules were in the Warhammer40k rulebook and I spent ages looking and found - nothing. It should have some special power,such as perhaps always allowing him to wound on a 2+ for example.