Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

'ard boyz tournament (2500 points)
Old 23 Sep 2007, 02:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 'ard boyz tournament (2500 points)

They're running a series of national tournaments in the US, called 'ard boyz.

It's a bit different from the normal GW tournament, as models don't have to be painted, themed - just played. A gladiator, of sorts.

Today was the first round. I went to my local shop, which was also celebrating their 4 years open.

I ran a mechanized list. Basically 2 squads of harlies in falcons, 2 units of avengers in serpents, a unit of dragons is a falcon, with a spare serpent, eldrad, yriel, and 10 spiders. (More details in the army lists thread)

At my store, they ran the tournament as a single elimination, with every round being Gamma Cleanse.

10 people had signed up this time, so there were a handful of byes, typically assigned to the people winning by the largest margins.

My first game was against Space Wolves. He had a couple troop units, a couple devastator units, a scout squad, some rhinos, and a 700 point terminator unit, where everyone had a one-shot reroll of some sort. He opted to go first, although he couldn't see anything of mine.

I proceeded to blow a rhino, and kill a couple of the terminators. He advance, and shook a falcon, I surrounded a rhino with skimmers before killing it, poured a ton of fire (2x bladestorms, almost all my skimmers) into the terminators, leaving 5.

His scouts killed my empty wave serpent. We fired and assaulted the last terminators, wiping them out, and proceeded to kill all his other units bit by bit.

Then I got a bye, and then played against another eldar player. His list was more geared towards killing heavy infantry than skimmers, and it was a mismatch. While he'd doen well in the earlier rounds, and knew what he was doing, he just didn't have the tools to fight my list. He had jain-zar and banshees, maugan ra and 2 units of reapers, some spiders, avengers in a serpent, and 3 walkers w/ brightlances. He dropped a couple of serpents, but by turn 3 there was nothing left in his army of high enough strength to hurt my ships, and so I pretty much had my way with his guys.

So, this suposedly means that I get to go to regionals on October 13th.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2007, 14:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 'ard boyz tournament (2500 points)

Awesome Redbeard- good luck in the semi's, and keep us posted!

I ran into a bit of misfortune, and carelessness trying to qualify.

I played in a tourney of 14 players, a good mix of hardcore competitive vets, and the younger guys who were competitive as well. I played all guys 30+ years old that day, some very good players, and guys more versed in the "metagame" than I am.

My first game was against a Space Marine player with 3 landmining whirlwinds, and a thick load of Devstatator elites and Las/Plas on 5 tac squads, with 2 assault units, a landspeeder, and a captain and librarian. He laid landmines all day while I set up for open blitz on his phalanx. I ended up massacring him. No real MVP for me the first game- it was a very balanced attack, with all units scoring.

My second game was where things went horribly wrong, and it was definitely my fault for not paying attention. This was a table quarters mission against a very good Tau player that included all troops held in reserve. What I failed to notice while I read the mission was that reserves could come in on any game board...so I rather unwisely set for staggered blitz, and then my opponent rolled in troops to skimmer block my harlie transports. Throw in my usual luck of having the opponent roll boxcars against my falcons and I was dead in a hurry...so I got massacred the second game, having to correct for and reset my options.

My only hope of qualifying was trying to get a massacre in my third game (after that horribly stupid loss in the second game). I faced an infantry heavy Chaos army in a loot counters game, and played a patient attack by running a harlie unit on foot- which worked out to be best against such a slow opponent. Yriel used Eye of Wrath to kill 8 CSM's in a single round of combat and he'd end up chewing through three units, and each harlequin unit chewed through two units of CSM's as well. The game ended in a massacre to me.

So that meant I had 2 Massacres and suffered one of my own by the end of the day.

And I missed 3rd by 6pts.

I have no one to blame but myself for extremely sloppy play in the second game. Had I forced a minor loss, or even a major loss after the dreaded skimmer block + boxcar moves I would have qualified for the semi's.

Competitive gaming at this level is fun, I'm just not used to the points or that many topped out lists.

- Yriel
Old 24 Sep 2007, 15:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Redbeard: Grats on the wins, good luck not having to survive the crapshoot that was the missions. I think you've got a killer army, and if you keep on trucking I think you'll do great at the regionals. The 3 falcons are so brutal to try and get points against.

Yriel: Bummer on that second game man. I think GW put it in there as a coat check for static shooty lists. Imagine facing Nids in that list and not being a mech skimmer list? Genestealers assaulting from any board edge, unless you've rushed to the middle and gotten thrashed by the rest of the advancing bugs?
Old 24 Sep 2007, 16:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks 40KE. Yeah I should have read the mission rules fully, and kept my falcons where they could protect their rear hatches- I guess I'm just not used to opponents being nearly as fast as me locking up my rear hatches. Plus the boxcars didn't help.

After the fiasco it was just us trading off units and him having enough left after the exchange to claim the massacre. All I had left at the end was a handful of avengers and a Falcon.

Hindsight...I know...I'm gonna have to clean up my Falcon movement more and non-standard mission rules reading!

- Yriel
Old 24 Sep 2007, 18:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like having one falcon with dragons in it, because you can use that one to guard the exit on the harlequin one as well as with a vyper - buth it's a lot less destroyable. The dragons can then fly off, dismount and fire, leaving the door open for the harlies to hop out and fight.

I would have rather played the missions though. An easy win in the first round is nice, but when I put aside a day for gaming, I'd rather have memorable, challenging games.

As for the metagame comment, I'm not sure it applies to the 'ard boyz as much.

The normal metagame is based on lists between 1500 and 1850 points. And, even with that range, it varies. Dropping an extra 650 points on top of that changes things.

In the 1500 metagame, shooty godzilla nids are ridiculously powerful. But, at 1850, that list loses strength, as you cannot take any more monstrous creatures, so you're forced to fill in points against your strength, while your opponents have more points with which to deal with your actual threats (the MCs).

At 2500, Godzilla nids are still a competative list, but they have no where near the advantage that they do at 1500.

The codexes are all balanced (according to Jervis) for games at 1500. Higher point games benefit higher-cost armies much more. Take Guard, as an example. At 1500, you'll probably have a couple of infantry platoons, and a handful of tanks. Now fill in another 1000 points - what do you add? You're full on Heavy slots, so no more tanks. You add 1000 more points of goons with flashlights. It's points, but it doesn't match up well compared to eldar, who still have points to give on the Force Org at 2500. (If I had the models, I could easily have added another 1000 'strong' points to my army - more avengers, more spiders, more serpents)
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2007, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I did a similar thing in the last mission. I completely didn't read that VP's were given out for table quarters. There I am standing on the loot token like a chump, surrounded by Tau....and we are counting up VP's by the time I realize that he's about to claim a table quarter because I didn't stretch a unit 3" north. Ugh. Turned my win into a minor win.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 13:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel of Iyanden
Awesome Redbeard- good luck in the semi's, and keep us posted!

I ran into a bit of misfortune, and carelessness trying to qualify.

I played in a tourney of 14 players, a good mix of hardcore competitive vets, and the younger guys who were competitive as well. I played all guys 30+ years old that day, some very good players, and guys more versed in the "metagame" than I am.

My first game was against a Space Marine player with 3 landmining whirlwinds, and a thick load of Devstatator elites and Las/Plas on 5 tac squads, with 2 assault units, a landspeeder, and a captain and librarian. He laid landmines all day while I set up for open blitz on his phalanx. I ended up massacring him. No real MVP for me the first game- it was a very balanced attack, with all units scoring.

My second game was where things went horribly wrong, and it was definitely my fault for not paying attention. This was a table quarters mission against a very good Tau player that included all troops held in reserve. What I failed to notice while I read the mission was that reserves could come in on any game board...so I rather unwisely set for staggered blitz, and then my opponent rolled in troops to skimmer block my harlie transports. Throw in my usual luck of having the opponent roll boxcars against my falcons and I was dead in a hurry...so I got massacred the second game, having to correct for and reset my options.

My only hope of qualifying was trying to get a massacre in my third game (after that horribly stupid loss in the second game). I faced an infantry heavy Chaos army in a loot counters game, and played a patient attack by running a harlie unit on foot- which worked out to be best against such a slow opponent. Yriel used Eye of Wrath to kill 8 CSM's in a single round of combat and he'd end up chewing through three units, and each harlequin unit chewed through two units of CSM's as well. The game ended in a massacre to me.

So that meant I had 2 Massacres and suffered one of my own by the end of the day.

And I missed 3rd by 6pts.

I have no one to blame but myself for extremely sloppy play in the second game. Had I forced a minor loss, or even a major loss after the dreaded skimmer block + boxcar moves I would have qualified for the semi's.

Competitive gaming at this level is fun, I'm just not used to the points or that many topped out lists.

- Yriel
Yriel lost a game! It begins! (jumps out of window).
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 14:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Avenger

Yriel lost a game! It begins! (jumps out of window).
Well...yeah. I tend to lose in spectacular fashion when it happens. When frustrates me about losing is that I know I was the one that screwed up, yet it encourages me to learn from and improve my game and movement more. And of course to add insult to injury the dice hop on the wagon when I am down to kick me.

Still- I've learned more from my losses than I have from all of my wins combined. This last one was an especially tough one for me to swallow though, mainly because had I read the mission rules thoroughly I could have played better, and if I had played my best and still lost, I wouldn't have been as frustrated.

I'm really pulling for Redbeard and 40KE. Let me just say from personal experience that Redbeard is a spectacular player- his movement is very clean, his lists are tight and efficient, and he hans't lost focus the times I've played against/watched him play. That's the type of player I wish I could face every time out- because it's a real test of skill, and he forces you to play your best. I hope both of you guys earn your free armies in the semi's and make it to Baltimore for the finals. Good luck!

- Yriel
Old 26 Sep 2007, 15:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

You guys are really making me want to start playing more often again. I havent had a 40k game in a few months. I could really do with getting some good, tough games in. I'd probably be aweful my first few games back.

Congrats on the win thoug Redbeard. Sorry to hear about your loss Yriel, still I'm sure overall it probably helps to lose from time to time, keeps you sharp.