Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seers
Closed Thread
Old 10 Mar 2005, 09:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Seers

My problem is that no matter how hard I try to make a useful seer council I always fail. I usually play vanilla eldar so It isn't actually an uthwe seer council but I usually have 1 farseer with witchblade, pistol, guide, fortune, spirit stones and 2 warlock bodyguards with witchblades. This totals at around 200 points. I usually keep him back around my firing lines re-rolling things saves and twin linking guns.

I was just wondering if any of you could please take the time to give me some help with contructing a good seer council.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 10:07   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Seers

Cheap:
Dont use the Spirit Stones, they are far too overpriced. Give the Warlocks CC Weapons, and the Farseer a Witch Blade, Shuriken Pistol and a Ghosthelm. Give the Warlocks Enhance and Conceal. Take no more than 2 powers for the Farseer.

Expensive:
Still don't use the Spirit Stone!
Give the Warlocks Singing Spears, Enhance and Conceal.
Give the Farseer all of the powers (unless there are some you don't need), a Witch Blade, Runes of Witnessing and Runes of Warding, and a Ghosthelm.

Really Expensive:
Give the Farseer and his two Warlock bodyguards Jetbikes.
Give the Farseer any powers you want. Give one Warlock Destructor, and the other Conceal. Give the one with Conceal a Singing Spear, and the one with Destructor a Witch Blade. Give the Farseer whatever you deem appropriate.

Does that help?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Um, one question - what's the point of giving the warlocks conceal - isn't their rune armour save preferable?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

maybe its a precaution against being hit by weapons that ignore invunerable saves, psycannons, scourging etc. That can be a very real threat if playing chaos/daemon/witchunters armies...it realy makes any eldar player cry to see their seer council get ripped up by a simple troop upgrade weapon or one inquistor!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fair enough...but it's very expensive. If you aren't playing one of those armies I'd recommend taking destructor instead.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I take a very expensive FS squad, 1 seer, 2 warlocks, all have witch baldes and shuri pistols, WLs have destructor each (only in 1 game did my squad get close enough to use Des., but hey its 2 more wounds for FS) my FS itself is loaded,nearly all wargear, (no bikes) and eldricth/mind war, now this is probally not the most effective pts wise, but in all my games it does a load of damage, the average squad can't take a mind war/ eldritch. As long as your enemies like to shoot at avatars and wraithlords a lot this works very well.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 20:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
As long as your enemies like to shoot at avatars and wraithlords a lot this works very well.
With those and a hugely expensive seer council won't your army be dangerously small model wise?
Old 11 Mar 2005, 09:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Well.... my reasons for taking those choices are as follows... mind war and eldrich storm I don't take because they have too short range. I take guide and fortune because they have saved me on multiple occasions. I take spirit stones so I can use both. I know it's expensive but I think it's worth it. With my warlcoks I don't give them any phycic power because they tend to die soon anyway.

I mainly use my farseer as a support unit (staying back, twin linking guns and re-rolling saves) so I was thinking maybe I should ditch all the witchbaldes on everything and use cc weapons instead. (to save points) But that still leaves me with the problem that i'm paying 150 points for someting that only twin links guns and re-rolls saves.

The main problem falls when I consider that if I give my farseer offensive powers (withcblades, eldrich storm, mind war etc.) it is pointless because When considering the rest of my army the he can't get into combat quickly enough, and is usually un-supported when he gets there. I could fix this problem if I giving him a jet bike which i'd love to do but I'm not skilled enoguh to make the conversion.

But here are my thoughts; If I drop the spirit stones and fortune, seeing as guide is more useful, drop both warlocks, and drop the farseers witchbalde then i'll bring the cost of the squad down to only 72 points and that's from 200! Because he will become an independant character and can't be shot (you know why) I don't have to worry about him dying easily. But then like said above it's till anoying that i'm paying 70 points for something that can only twin link guns.

Do you see my problem?

I know this sounds complicated and I've probably worded it really badly but any help would be great.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 15:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

To sum up, Farseers are expensive. The model is expensive and the wargear/psychic powers are expensive. This means that either one of two things can happen - either a Farseer is massively useful on the battlefield or it is a complete waste of points. It all comes down clever planning and good thinking during the battle to make sure that each of the Farseer's powers are used for maximum effect.

I personally prefer to use my Farseer(s) as passive defensive units - I rarely give them witchblades, singing spears or jetbikes. One of my favourite uses of the Farseer is just to simply give him fortune and perhaps ROW to make sure - and to stick him with a wraithguard squad! You won't believe how much firepower that squad can then soak up.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

to tau killer, yes my army probaly has fewer models than a deathwing terminator army, and I have seen the diadvantages.... back to the original topic, if just have a guiding FS (72 pts) it will definately seem like a waste, but to tell you the truth I have no advice, I'm having the exact same problem you are. Last night I played a game and it came to attention that I have been cheating horrendously. I was using mind war as an ability that could kill more than 1 model, after reading the dex more carefully my mind war/ eldritch combo was much less effective. Now I'm trying to re-work it all, making my FS cheaper, but I just can't seem to find a good combitnation. So you guys can help me as well.
Closed Thread