Warhammer 40K Forum

Falcon or Serpent?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Mar 2005, 04:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Falcon or Serpent?

Hi all

quick question...

I'm basically fielding a low pt army...figure anywhere between 1000-1500 points...and I know I want at least one squad of aspects who can assault/CC...I'm thinking either Banshees, Scorps or Dragons. Banshees and Dragons for tough, armored opponents (SMurfs, vehicles etc) and Scorps for low armor/horde types ('nids and Orks). I want a decent troop transport that can a) get them where they need to be in one piece without falling apart, and b) lend good support fire.

My options are obviously between a Serpent and a Falcon...if I go Falcon, we're talking a 6 man squad max...5 aspects, 1 exarch. If I go Serpent...we're talking a squad of 10.

Which is better...a falcon with a smaller squad, or a serpent with a larger squad?

Might sound silly...but each situation has it's pro's and cons I'm sure...so let's hear'em...

thanks in advance...

-M
Old 10 Mar 2005, 05:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Re: Falcon or Serpent?

Well (IMO) the wave serpany is infanetely better at transporting larger squads. But if you only want to transport a small squad then the falcon will suffice. All in all it simply comes down to that.

I have one of each in my army and I use the serpant for transporting a large squad of dire avengers or striking scorpians and I use the falcon as a moblie Heavy Weapon platform.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd take the Wave Serpent to be honest. But in smaller games where you have less points use a smaller squad in a Falcon (assuming you already have one/some?)
Old 10 Mar 2005, 09:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Agreed. I always like to use the two vehicles for their designed purposes.
I.e. The Falcon = Eldar's main battle tank. Wave Serpant = Eldar's main only dedicated transport.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 10:00   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I use four Falcons and one Wave Serpent.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 12:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the suggestions guys...but here's my situation...

I'm only going to be able to field one vehicle or the other, given the size of the army I'm working on...I have, in each of the squads I would possibly transport (Scorps, Banshees and Dragons)... 5 aspects, 1 exarch per squad.

So basically my question is...do I go with a Serpent and a bigger squad?

or...

The Falcon with a smaller squad?

I guess what I'm needing to know is...what's more firepower/effective....a Wave Serpent and a 10 man squad of, for example, Dragons, or a Falcon with a 6 man squad of Dragons.

This make sense?

-M
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

read this thread for a lot of helpful info that has been discussed:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=4554.0

welcome to eldar
hope it helps,
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I'd go for the Wave Serpent - it costs slightly less than the Falcon and can transport more models nearer to the enemy. *Lets face it - Eldar infantry either need to be in cc or have short ranged weapons which need to be close to the enemy. *You can either use the wave serpent to get 10 models there or use the Falcon to only get six there.

The wave serpent also has great weapons the main ones of which happen to be twinlinked...True the Falcon has pulse laser as well but the fact that the main weapon of the WS in twinlinked, plus the fact that it can transport more models + the fact that it doesn't take up a heavy support choice makes it in smaller games the better vehicle IMO.

If you look back far enough you'll see a thread (started by me I believe) about the Falcon and Wave Serpent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restayvien
I use four Falcons and one Wave Serpent.
Um...Isn't that a violation of FOC requirements?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer

Hey, 42's even given you the link to the thread ;D (Thanks 42.)
please dont double post dude, just edit your previous one! :P

As for the discussion id go for a wave serpent in this situation. If you want a transport that will safely devlier an assault squad, its going to have to be very survivable to get in close, maybe even have to wait a trun in enemy fire an the scorps cant get out and assault from the vehicle. Also, with the WS being cheaper its your perfect choice for this role.

If you want a gunship take the falcon, it excels at this, it is able to carry a cargo but really this shouldnt be the scorpion unit which could be safely carried by a cheaper and more survivable vehicle!

Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Since you cannot decide between the two due to squad size...you'll just have to go with what kind of firepower the transport can give you...

The Falcon already has a Pulse Laser (the best laser of all time!), TL Shuriken Catapult and another weapon slot for you too fill. The Falcon is efficent as a tank-hunter-transport due to the PL...

The Wave Serpent has TL SC, and a Twin-Linked slot for you too fill...Talk about sweetness! (is that a word...sweetness? lol) TL Starcannons will do hefty damage to infantry and smaller vehicles...perfect for a 1000pt game...

So, I would strongly suggest getting the Wave Serpent so that it can hold 10 Aspects and shoot TL shots. Later Days!
Closed Thread