Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what NOT to do as eldar
Closed Thread
Old 09 Mar 2005, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88
Default what NOT to do as eldar

i don't play eldar myself, but i recently faced off against a friend of mine who, suffice to say, isn't xactly awesome. despite a pretty faulty army list of mine and some gross tactical errors (forgot to move my rail-head...stupid stupid stupid) i managed to win

so here's some pointers on what NOT to do as eldar... i hope it could help some noobs or at least give a good laugh as you imagine the carnage

1. don't advance your skimmers, jetbikes, and other fast units ahead of the rest of your army--trust me, it doesn't work... at all
2. don't slowly move your already-damaged seer council (he was playing uthwe) towards a untouched squad of kroot--i never had to charge--some 34 kroot rifle shots was more than enough to knock the fools out
3. don't forget fleet of foot moves--especially for guardians...they're vulnerable to everything.. dropping a submunition round on them is SO fun
4. use caution w/your wraithlord--i took it down in a turn w/my crisis team
5. this really goes for every army--DON'T OVER-UPGRADE--and I use 2 many upgrades...he had even more, and thus not nuff units...

hope this helps somebody (maybe) or at least gives a good laugh...
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 10 Mar 2005, 06:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Re: what NOT to do as eldar

1. When used properly, advancing skimmers, jetbikes and other fast uits ahead of your army can be brutal to your opponent.

2. farseers and warlocks can advance. but only when supported by a squad of guardians etc.

3. You are right in this.

4. Wraithlords aren't only used as an offensive power on the field. If you use too much fire power on it then it is YOU are the one who is being over cautious.

5. Eldar are a very specialized race and sometimes large amounts of up-grades can save you the day, but just be careful.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 08:45   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think most of those points you gave are only relevant to inexperienced (or just plain bad) gamers, such as the one you played.
For example:

1. I often use my Falcon to drop off my Seer Council where it is needed most, and my Wave Serpent to deliver the front line troops.

2. If he had had Augment in the SC and two Farseers with Eldritch Storm, along with conceal and possibly Enhance/Destructor, they could have wiped the floor with those Kroot, although I tend to have my Seer Council backed-up, which by the sounds of it, he didn't.

3. I agree with this one.

4. Wraithlord are meant to soak up firepower. But yes, you should use caution with all your units.

5. Lots of upgrades are fine IMO, as long as you make good use of them that is. However, sometimes it's just stupid to waste points on upgrades yeah, like 3 Holofields, 3 CTM's and 3 Spirit Stones on a squad of Vypers. :
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

And everybody remember to use cover where possible. Eldar are one of the fastest armies in cover, only Gaunts can beat them, and the cover save is wonderful all you have between you and the outside world is a peice of 5+ armour.

Old 10 Mar 2005, 21:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Also be aware that although these rules are useful - they are not set in immovable stone. Each battle scenario and situation is unique and should be judged on its own situation rather than on general guidelines. Yes, perhaps most of the time it is a bad idea to not fleet of foot but perhaps a situation might come up where it would be a good idea not to fleet of foot - so just be able to think and judge each situation individually. However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
And everybody remember to use cover where possible.
In complete contrast to what I just said - that law is written in stone for Eldar!
Old 11 Mar 2005, 09:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A useful tip newbies; just remember to be pro-active not re-active.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 01:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

True, make the enemy react to your movents, not the other way round.

Old 13 Mar 2005, 13:14   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Very good point. Hard to pull of against armies like DE/White Scars/Speed Freeks etc though.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 05:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Also hard to do against my friends Tau army. It has so much massed fire power that when playing it you have to weigh up what's more important; placing your units where you want them on the field but having them shot to pieces on the first turn or putting them in annoying places just to keep them safe.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 12:57   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

You need to go for Deep-Striking units. And go for the first option, even if you loose, it will make for a much more interesting game.