Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Support Weapon Battery - Any Good?
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Support Weapon Battery - Any Good?

Being new to Eldar, I wanted to come here and ask about the Supper Weapon Batteries and get your opinions on them.

I like the look of them (big guns are cool :P), and their guns seemed good enough but in my gut they felt like a unit I should shy away from. My gut might be having a sick day, and I'd really love it if I were told they were effective. Any comments and suggestions on Batteries in general? Thanks.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 20:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Support Weapon Battery - Any Good?

The Vibrocannon is a great weapon. It's got excellent range & accuracy and does well against vehicles. It's probably the best Support weapon.

Shadow Weavers are also good - against hordes and troops. It's not so good against heavily armored troops or vehicles. Again, its got potential as a barrage weapon.

Finally, the D-cannon is probably my favorite idea for a support weapon. It's by far the most lethal of the Eldar support weapons - but it lacks range in a drastic way. But the idea of sucking your opponents troops into the warp is always appealing.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the reply.

I've noted that the Batteries are fairly cheap, which could tempt me even more into getting one, two, or even a trio of them for my Eldar once it takes the 1,500 point leap.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Besides knowing with only BS 3, if you go the way you are going and attach a farseer to the squad then you have a very deadly battery.

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droids_Rule
I've noted that the Batteries are fairly cheap, which could tempt me even more into getting one, two, or even a trio of them for my Eldar once it takes the 1,500 point leap.
They are very cheap. However, familiarize yourself with the Artillary rules in the 40K rulebook. Even though they are fairly good for firepower, they are also rather easy to take out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autarch Uthlanar
Besides knowing with only BS 3, if you go the way you are going and attach a farseer to the squad then you have a very deadly battery.
Only applicable with the Vibro cannon. However, Guide would/could benefit all three weapons choices. Likewise, attaching a Warlock with Conceal can be very handy and make the crew, at least, slightly more durable.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Quote:
They are very cheap. However, familiarize yourself with the Artillary rules in the 40K rulebook. Even though they are fairly good for firepower, they are also rather easy to take out.
I'll have to look at that. So far I have never used an artilerry - I have absoloutely no idea how they work. I just thought the guns looked powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autarch Uthlanar
Only applicable with the Vibro cannon. However, Guide would/could benefit all three weapons choices. Likewise, attaching a Warlock with Conceal can be very handy and make the crew, at least, slightly more durable.
I had already thought of that when flipping through my Codex.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
I'll have to look at that. So far I have never used an artilerry - I have absoloutely no idea how they work. I just thought the guns looked powerful.
Your big issue is going to be enemy units shooting at your Support Weapon batteries. You are obliged to split up fire (randomly) between crew & gun. The guns are especially fragile. However, you could counter this by simply keeping them out of LOS of enemy units or hide them in terrain. Still, you've got to block LOS since obscurring your guns won't help them at all.

Quote:
I had already thought of that when flipping through my Codex.
Also, don't underestimate Doom when using the D Cannon. I can't emphasize the use of that power with D Cannons and Wraithcannons. Its a great way to rack up Instant Deaths.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think Doom let's you reroll successful wound rolls, so as both D-cannons and wraithcannons wound on 2+, you can only re-roll 1's.

Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Doom shouldn't be too hard to squeeze in. I'll just keep a long range firing line of my Rangers, Wraithlord, Batteries, all of those within casting of my Farseer.

Thankyou for all the tips. I think I know one unit that'll be in my 1,500 point army.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel of Iyanden
I don't think Doom let's you reroll successful wound rolls, so as both D-cannons and wraithcannons wound on 2+, you can only re-roll 1's.
Well, I'm sure it will forever brand me as a power gamer. But the Doom rules only say that you may re-roll not that you may re-roll failed rolls (as the Guide rules state). The Re-Rolls section on page 5 of the rules say that a re-roll is simply when you pick up the dice and roll again (i.e. no requirement for the rolls to have failed). If I'm right, please don't think less of me. :P

*ducks any thrown objects*