Warhammer 40K Forum

Iyanden 1500pt List
Closed Thread
Old 25 Feb 2005, 11:20   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Iyanden 1500pt List

Craftworld Eldar List -
Iyanden (1500 PTS)

I'm going to submit this to the army list board, so any advice is welcome! See anything wrong with it?

HQ

Farseer -
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon
Ghost Helm
Eldritch Storm
Mind War
Runes of witnessing

Spirit Seer - (Accompanies Wraithguard Squad 1):
Conceal
Shuriken Pistol
Close Combat Weapon

Spirit Seer - (Accompanies Wraithguard Squad 2):
Enhance
Shuriken Pistol
Singing Spear

Spirit Seer - (Accompanies Wraithguard Squad 3):
Conceal
Shuriken Pistol
Singing Spear

I've made the Farseer pretty powerful at range, but I haven't given him a Singing Spear or Witchblade as he will be by himself (taking full advantage of the Independant Character rules!) and it's probably not a good idea to let him get into combat at all. A Spirit Seer accomapanies the largest of the three Wraithguard squads to protect them from harm with Conceal, whilst the two other Spirit Seers remain with the two smaller Wraithguard squads, using their Singing Spears to either add some anti-armour punch in close combat (making the squad with Enhance pretty nasty), or to boost the units ranged capabilities whilst shielding the Wraithguard with Conceal.

TROOPS

Wraithguard Squad 1:
8 Wraithguard

Wraithguard Squad 2:
5 Wraithguard

Wraithguard Squad 3:
5 Wraithguard

Wraithlord 1:
Bright Lance

Wraithlord 2:
Star Cannon

The comparatively large volume of Wraithguard will form an impenetrable wall that can lay down up to 20 Wraithcannon shots per turn. On average 10 will hit, 5 will cause wounds (against infantry), and each of those wounds has a 1 in 6 chance of causing instant death. No armour saves are allowed. With this many shots even large troop units will have to be wary, and that's not including any attacks from the Spirit Seers! Vehicles of any description won't stand a chance at close range.

The Wraithlords will distract enemy fire away from the Wraithguard and either prevent them from being flanked, or form a powerful spearhead for your assault.

ELITES

Dire Avengers Squad:
10 Dire Avengers (9 normal 1 Exarch)
Shuriken Pistol and Power Weapon
Defend
Distract
(Wave Serpent-
Twin Linked Star Cannons
Spirit Stone)

Rangers Squad:
3 Rangers

The Dire Avengers provide some more effective anti-troop capability. Whilst being transported in the Wave Serpent they are relatively safe from harm while the Starcannon's blaze away, and once they have been deployed they can rattle off 20 shuriken Catapult rounds a turn. When their numbers begin to dwindle the Exarch can charge in and hold up any unit for some time giving the Wraithguard and Wraithlords time to advance. I also think that Dire Avengers are quite fitting in an Iyanden army, as Iyanden has a lot of avenging to do! 8)

The Rangers have been drafted in from afar to help pin weak units, or pick off tougher opponents such as monstous creatures. Such a small unit, which is hard to even hit, will probably not even be fired upon during a battle where your opponent has to deal with your more powerful units, so these guys should have free reign!

- Restayvien

Old 26 Feb 2005, 10:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: Iyanden 1500pt List

Looks cool and deadly. Just two suggestions...

For the wraithlords, won't a starcannon/brightlance/scatter laser come in more useful then shuriken cannons. The bright lance perhaps for taking out tanks at long range.

Perhaps some fast attack (guardian jetbikes perhaps) might come in useful just to balance out the fact the the wraithguard/lords are slow and wraithcannon has horrible range.

Other than that...looks cool to me.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 14:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I'm not sure about storm for your farseer. It is rarely used and even when it is it usually causes very little damage, if he has fortune then he could allow your big WG squad to re-roll saves, making them nearly unkillable.

Also if your farseer has a witchblade then if he goes off alone he can tank hunt.

I find that any small, enhanced WG squad works best when in a wave serpent.

As the big squad will be slogging it across the battlefield conceal would be best for them.

I'd give the WL's one BL and one SC in order to make your ranged firepower more formidable.

To make the points for this i'd change the special character for a normal spirit seer and drop two WG from the big squad.

If you still didnt have enough then i'd drop the rangers although they can be useful when infiltrating onto objectives, into different table quarters etc.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Thanks for the advice.
I'll make some changes soon.
Old 09 Mar 2005, 18:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well I would give my far seer spirit stones if im going to take mind war and eldritch storm, if you can't afford it just lose eldritch. Other than that I like the list, i think someone said something about adding some speed to the army, but then those fast units will be all by themselves in a turn, and because we are talking eldar they will be gone in a turn, better to just take a fully slow army advancing in solid form, sure you'll get shot up, but thats what wraithlords are for.
Old 09 Mar 2005, 19:33   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Thanks for the comments!
I think the Dire Avengers in the Wave Serpent along with the infiltrating Rangers is enough speedy stuff for an Iyanden Craftworld.
I might drop Eldritch Storm, but wouldn't it be best to keep that kind of anti-troop pie-plate power in an anti-armour army? I never take Spirit Stones for Farseers,
** pts is far too expensive.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:09   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You're right, when ever I imagine Wraithguard I instanly envision them facing Terminators and the like (wonder why), yea keep Eldritch Storm, but if you could find the points somewhere it would be worth it. Along with that its a good thing you have Avengers.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 13:24   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

There, how's that?
Old 13 Mar 2005, 13:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Looks good. I can't see anything wrong with the army. Now I think all the comments you will get will be just matters of opinion on things - eg, do you want or not want Eldritch storm, etc.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 13:43   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah, ok I'll submit it.