Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Problem vs. Tau EDITED last post!
Old 15 May 2007, 19:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to The Lost Waywatcher
Default Problem vs. Tau EDITED last post!

OK, I have played my friend 6 times now at 500 points with my eldar against his Tau.

I run a small army of...

1 warwalker w/EML and scat laser
Autarch w/scorp sword and mandibalsters
10 DAs with exarch w/dual cats and bladestorm
6 Scorps with exarch/claw and both powers

He has...

1 Broadside
1 Shas'el? with plasma gun and smart missile system
2 Squads of 9 FWs each
1 squad of 10 Kroot w/shaper

basically we play on a board with little cover so I bladestorm his infiltrated kroot and then proceed to get shredded by pulse fire. His broadside always destroys my warwalker on the first turn because I can't deploy it in cover. I infiltrate my scorps and they meet up with the autarch but even with 3+ saves they lose at least four before reaching the enemy. Last game the exarch and autarch assaulted his broadside with 5 attacks each! And they still didn't kill it! >

I'm having a big dilemma here can you guys help?
Simply put - paint your damn minis! ;D

The Lost Waywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing
Default Re: Problem vs. Tau

Firstly, Tau rule very well in the world of no cover, This is in the end an unfair advantage and I would get that board some features! ^_^

Secondly, I would advise something fast to get some firepower out there, Vypers are cheap and fit the bill well.

and finnally, I think that scorps aren't troops and therefore the list is not legal. Either that or my extreme fatigue is gettig to my head............. I think the first one is more likely............
Old 15 May 2007, 20:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh ya right... ??? Looks like I had an illegal list, and I still lost >

So other than getting features and a new troops slot what could I do?

Old 15 May 2007, 20:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, BR

Tau are mainly static ( Duh) you are trying to go have a footslogging army, when they have faster things that can destroy all your guys.

You need some speed and firepower.

I would advise some falcons, vypers, and dark reapers.

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2007, 20:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

darn, how could I have forgoten the Reapers! maitbe it's cause my brother always mowes em' down >_<
Old 15 May 2007, 20:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

change your list? add some more LoS blocking terrain. The table should be covered in 25% terrain in a mixture of LoS blocking impassable, LoS blocking passable and passable terrain that doesn't block LoS.

Really you should have some where to deploy a single war walker so his broadside can't destroy it every first turn.

To make your list legal why dont you just split your DA into 2 squads one with the exarch. Also the EML on the WW probably wont make its points back even if it gets to shoot, hes got no tanks i woould go with another scatter laser use it to hunt the kroot. It will save you a few points maybe drop another few points somewhere else, scorpian powers maybe and give your autarch some wings then bound him around the terrain and into combat with the fire warriors.
Old 15 May 2007, 20:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi TBR,

Playing 500pt games with no Combat Patrol restrictions and (more importantly) no cover is quite a challenge. Wingates is completely on the money when he says you're in big trouble- and I would be inclined to buy some terrain before any more models at this point!

That said- there are some things you can do with your list to trump your Tau friend, check this out:

HQ

Farseer80pts
Doom

Elites

6 Harlequins 162pts
Shadowseer, 6x Harlequin's Kiss

Troops

3 Jetbikes 76pts
Shuriken Cannon

5 Rangers 95pts

10 Guardians 85pts
Shuriken Cannon

Total=498pts

The whole army functions as a delivery system to your Harlequins, will can destroy his entire army all by itself. Run the Doomseer with the unit- with Veil of Tears you won't have to worry much about SMS, and you actually want the Kroot as close to you as possible (as a stepping stone to his vulnerable backfield). Use the Rangers to force pinning checks on the Firewarriors- this will reduce the pulse death you describe while you're setting up matador.

Once his Kroot get within range (about 14-16") charge with the Harlequins. With Doom enacted you'll kill a ton of Kroot, but you won't want to kill all of them- so charge a corner of the formation if possible, making sure you wipe out every model in the kill zone. Once this is completed stay in combat for another turn, and use Hit N' Run to position you to hit his backfield on your following turn. Units (or pieces of units, hehe) left behind by the Harlies can easily be countered by your other units- you're simply leaving a doorway through which they can finish off units not in combat.

Everything relies on the Harlequin charge- so it does take a little finesse to pull it off- but if you do it correctly, you should smear him pretty well.

Old 15 May 2007, 22:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well that would mean I would have to buy a completely new army

It's a good list in all but I just don't have the cash and time for a new set of guys right now ???

As for terrain I have begun to construct a tower as we post. It won't provide much cover though...hmmm maybe a pile of rocks?

Old 15 May 2007, 22:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banished Ranger

As for terrain I have begun to construct a tower as we post. It won't provide much cover though...hmmm maybe a pile of rocks?
The great thing about terrain is you don't have to spend any more money than you want. Almost anything inanimate (so don't use your pet lizards) can be terrain, it may just take a few moments to look around and see what you have.

Rocks, sticks, large pieces of bark, and even a loose brick or ceiling tile can work as terrain you find outside. Indoors you can use small potted plants, or plastic aquarium plants, stack books for hills or I just raid the countertops and wall units for those weird knick-knacks everyone has lying around.

I'm sitting in my office right now and there's enough "terrain" in here for a 6' x 4' table. I've got staplers and hole punches to use as level 2 hard cover, I can dump out my mug full of pens or connect paperclips to use as razorwire...you get the picture. It may not be pretty but you really should use the 25% terrain guidelines because game mechanics are built around it and tell your friend that this is more representative of games played by everyone else.

Old 16 May 2007, 00:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Every once and a while i sit down and start hot-gluing various "craft" toothpicks and the like into makeshift fortifications, if i feel artistic I use needlenosed pliers to rip away parts of it as battle dammage. Works very well and can look extremely good with a little time and virtualy no cost, the overall considerign i already had the glue it was about $10 and that gave us enough things for some of the larger boards.

I hope this helps

W_H