Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 point Iyanden tactical core for team tourney
Old 10 May 2007, 15:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1000 point Iyanden tactical core for team tourney

Hi folks,

I'm currently involved in a team tournament that is 1500pts per player. The interesting thing about the tournament is that you have to submit a 1,000pt core list, and are allowed to modify the remaining 500 points as you see fit from game to game- I really love this format! There are some rules though regarding the lists- the 1,000pt core list must be a stand-alone, legal list within FoC and cannot be changed (so for example, wargear, exarch powers, vehicle upgrades and weapons on the core cannot be exchanged for other upgrades with your extra 500pts). This means my core unit should either be stock units without leaders, or simply un-modified costs. Here's my 1K core:

HQ

Prince Yriel 155pts

Elites

5 Wraithguard 175pts

5 Harlequins 140pts
Shadowseer, 5x Harlequin's Kiss

Troops

3 Jetbikes 76pts
Shuriken Cannon

5 Dire Avengers 60pts

Heavy Support

Falcon 195pts
Shuricannon, Hull Shuricannon, Spirit Stone, Holofield, Vectored Engines

Falcon 195pts

Total=996pts

Notes: I wanted a fun, somewhat fluffy but flexible core. I took Yriel because he's a fixed cost, fluffy, and a MEQ/TEQ nightmare. The stock 5 wraithguard can either be configured with 5 more wraithguard and a spiritseer to fill a troops choice, but lately I've found tremendous success throwing in a destructor warlock and throwing the unit in a shuricannon/shuricannon wave serpent. Yriel and the harlequins ride in the extremely reliable Falcon, and the Dire Avengers ride in the other Falcon. The list is extremely flexible, semi- fluffy, and tactical.

My partner is a brand new player using a Deathwing core with Ravenwing Attack squadrons. The core I believe is Master of the Deathwing with Lightning Claws, a pair of Deathwing Terminator squads, and a full Ravenwing Attack Squardon. His list is extremely small and highly vulnerable to assaults or massed shooting, so I've had to fill gaps in assault and ground based dakka. Here's a 1500point list that I ran last night which was a blast to play as well as being "dakka-friendly":

HQ

Prince Yriel 155pts

Elites

5 Wraithguard 340pts
Warlock
In Wave Serpent, Twin Shuricannons, Hull Shuricannon, Spirit Stone, Vectored Engines

5 Harlequins 140pts
Shadowseer, 5x Harlequin's Kiss

Troops

3 Jetbikes 76pts
Shuriken Cannon

6 Dire Avengers 104pts
Exarch, Extra Shuricat, Bladestorm

Fast Attack

6 Warp Spiders 149pts
Exarch, Spinneret Rifle

Heavy Support

Falcon 195pts

Falcon 195pts

3 Warwalkers 140pts
4 Shuriken Cannons
2 Scatter Lasers

Total=1,494pts

So far we've played against a Drop Pod space wolf/Mech Eldar army (a "controversial" loss, I took a third Falcon and another harlie unit in that opening fight), and last night I took the list above when we played a Deathwing/Ravenwing team (a solid win, so far I'm severely underimpressed with Deathwing and Ravenwing armies). My lists have performed extremely well in both games, I just worried that we're sorely underpowered- we just don't have enough "meat" and we're looking for help on both sides (so a Dark Angel/Eldar player would be extremely helpful here).

I mentioned that my army is doing extremely well (warwalkers rock!!!), but I can't help but wonder if there's more I can get from my flexible 500points. I've been running strong-side/weak-side counter/blitz every game and always end up having the only scoring units left on my team. We just don't have enough "steam" to sustain ourselves for these assault blitz packages that are so popular in this tournament. Any advice for either myself or the Dark Angels player?

Old 10 May 2007, 23:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 1000 point Iyanden tactical core for team tourney

Do you have an idea of which armies you will be fighting?
pwner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2007, 12:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In Tournies, you need to make all comers lists, you cannot really judge what will be there.

Well, your DA partner will be massively low in model count and it should be up to you to try and make up for that. Look into getting more troops and toning down the flashy/elite units. It does not take alot to wipe 5 Terminators out, so you need to include more bodies to help him out.

Not sure if you are going more for an Iyanden based army, but if you are, you should toss in some cheap Guardian squads for that Heavy Weapon as well. Most likely your partner will be making use of the Ravenwings Homers for his Terminators, thusly either taking a flank or getting up front in the enemies face. There fore, you should find things to support targets the Terminators will be shooting at. This will also help them survive the counter fire they will attract as well.

Bottom line, get more troops/units to make up for your partners REALLY low model count ;D
Old 12 May 2007, 19:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

but look on the bright side... no one is necron, so no phase out rule
pwner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2007, 18:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

OK, I am not the best on Eldar, and I love your list, but I may be able to help on your friends side, I have a "Doublewing" army myself, due to the new codex. Now, as I am seeing, he is going more deathwing, which is my style and has to take the master because of it, and the claws work wonders with that. You can only take 5 man squads of termies with the new dex, so this becomes hard to work right, but with the scout on the bikes and the first turn drop for 1/2(rounded up) of his termies this works. The full squad of raven isn't necessary. He only needs the six normal bikes, most likely with the sarge with a plasma gun and 2 others with a melta gun. Now because he can split this squad in 2, 1 is tank hunting with normal dakka for a rang and the other is dakka, both using scout to get into position. Now, if he has the master, and 3 squads of termies, he will be good, especially with your dakka back up. He is what I would be looking at. I don't have exact points on me but this is about 1000 points.

Bael, master of deathwing
Lightning claws
Banner
Apothecary
(these do not have to be with Bael or the same unit)

5 termies
Apothecary(already paid for)
1 assalt cannon/chain fist(normally for me the apothecary)
4 storm bolter's/ power fist

5 termies
1 assalt cannon/chain fist
4 storm bolter/power fist

5 termies
all lighting claws and the banner(Bael is with this group)

6 bikes
sarge with power weapon/plasma gun melta bombs
2 with melta gun
3 normal

split squad
sarge and meltas

3 normal together

The point of this will be to only put out the bike in the 2 squads, scout and then deep strike in the 2 shootie termie squads close together, using the homers, normally off of the normal squad.

Bael and the cc squad hold back for Deep strike, normally off of the tank hunting bikes, that will normally be in good range of the things they need to break.

The shooty termies can take out most weapon squads, and some tanks due to high strength and they can always move and shoot.

The melee guys will take out most things and get 3 attack per round (because of the banner) and 4 if they charge. and the apothecary will help keep alive the valuable termieshat are expensive. I normally don't give advise like this due to the fact that I am long winded, and I always forget my dex in the car, so I hope this helps some.

Nailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2007, 03:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

To improve flexibility i would put the walkers in with varied weaponry to replace some of the elites. This is because they are extremely flexible. In my own battles I have found vehicles alot more flexible than your basic footsloggers or speedy foot-bound units.

~~W_H's off-the-topic quote of the day " I'll leave nothing behind but blood, bones and spent ammo"