Warhammer 40K Forum

Short ranged weaponry
Closed Thread
Old 19 Feb 2005, 22:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Short ranged weaponry

Dunno whether this belongs here or whether it's veering towards house rules but here goes...

Who thinks that Eldar weaponry on average is too short ranged. I mean, in a vanilla army list in the whole troops and elites section, there are only two units who can have a weapon with a range greater than x inches (just to avoid copyright problems - all Eldar players should know what range I'm talking about) - rangers, and a Fire Dragon exarch. Eldar are technologically advanced. Wouldn't their standard trooper weapon - the shuriken catapult be at least just as good as a space marine standard weapon (which with the new rapid fire rules is definitely better than it.) I find it really annoying to find that quite a lot of my units are easily out of firing range - move them forward to try and get them into range- Eldar generally have low armour - many get killed on the enemy's next shooting phase - few are left to fire. Does anyone else find this a problem
Old 19 Feb 2005, 23:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Re: Short ranged weaponry

I think everyone finds the x inches range extremely annoying. I know that it's supposed to represent the fact that the shurikens are only accurate to that much range but it disadvantages dire avengers the most. Because guardians can take weapon platforms etc. but dire avangers can't take anything. If you ask me if they had another 6 inches range it would make a world of difference, even if it was an upgrade or smt. They could like call it "increased riffling" or smt.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 05:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

On the one hand, they are assault 2 to most weapons rapid-fire. So they don't get the long range shot as most basic troopers would. But on the other hand, all of the basic troopers are able to charge on theturn they fire to lend their numbers to assault. Ever tried supporting your Banshees with a unit of Black Guradian Defenders with an Exarch with enhance? It can be fun.

Old 20 Feb 2005, 06:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

They generally don't get the chance - they're all shot to pieces on the previous turn ???
Old 20 Feb 2005, 07:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

eldar are a very fast race, make use of it to shorten the gap, transports, fleeting into cover on the previous turn etc. Their weaponry may be short ranged but they have the most ap 1 and 2 weapons available to their army, but they have to be used wisely and in tandem with other things...
Old 20 Feb 2005, 10:30   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Ever tried supporting your Banshees with a unit of Black Guardian Defenders with an Exarch with Enhance? It can be fun.
You mean a Warlock, right?
Also, if you intend to charge the Guardians into combat, you'd be better off using Black Storm Guardians!
Old 20 Feb 2005, 18:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Hunter

Yeah, warlock, sheesh thats embaressing. :-[

I dunno about whtehr the storm guardians would be better, they only get half the number of shots on the way in, whch can sort of be seen as strength 4 attacks, and with Enhane they are WS BS 4, which is a nice combo, plus strking ahead of even marines...

Just a thought experiment but I am gong to try it.

Old 20 Feb 2005, 20:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I think the range is perfectley fine as it is.

A massed volley of close range firepower usually seals a win for me.

As has been said the eldar's extra speed allows you to close quickly in order to use this short ranged weaponry.

FOF also has no penalties for moving through difficult terrain so you could get into a great position to unleash your short ranged firepower from cover, something which will stop the unit getting mauled by enemy fire which you are having problems with.

I like the short range as it usually means eldar are played in a different way, opposed to many armies stand back and shoot approach.

I also think that a unit of defenders would cause more damage from shooting and then charging than a storm guardian squad would. Particularly black defender guardians.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

On the whole, not as good now the rapid fire rules have changed issue, i think when eldar are re-done they will keep the range the same but have any roll of a 6 to hit automatically wound.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 06:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
But on the other hand, all of the basic troopers are able to charge on theturn they fire to lend their numbers to assault.
Yeah but guardians just embarrass themselves in cc.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 06:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

They are gaunts with better shooting.

All in all depends on how long the combat is gonna last 1 extra str 4 shot on the way in but if your gonna be in combat for a few turns say a full squad of gaurdians then your better off with storm squads.

As always cover helps alot with gaurdians so i always perfer conceal over enhance.

Depends on the enemy.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Closed Thread