Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the good things and bad things for eldar
Old 06 May 2007, 13:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default the good things and bad things for eldar

i am thinking of starting a eldar army so can someone tell me what are the good things about eldar and how i should play
Old 06 May 2007, 13:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: the good things and bad things for eldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnblade
i am thinking of starting a eldar army so can someone tell me what are the good things about eldar and how i should play
That's a dangerous request. I'll take a whack at it.

Eldar Cons
- Stigma of playing Pansy Space Elves - there are some out there who feel that Eldar are feminine or even homoerotic in nature. This is simply jealousy because even our males are better looking than their females!

- Eldar troops tend to be fragile. Compared to Space Marines or Necrons - Eldar troops will tend to die quickly if placed in the wrong situation.

- Eldar troops are expensive. Point for point, Eldar troops cost more than other races. However, this is offset by their specialized roles (see Pros below).

- Eldar troops are specialized. This is both a con & a pro. Eldar troops tend to do one or two jobs very well. This can either be very effective or very frustrating based on your skill level.

- Eldar guns are short ranged. Compared to Tau or SIGFH - Eldar will tend to be outranged. However, don't confuse this with being outgunned (see Pros below).

- Eldar have a steep learning curve. Learning to play Eldar can be very overwhelming and frustrating at first. However, once you have gotten a grasp on their overall strategies - you can settle into very powerful tactics.

Eldar Pros
Eldar are Space Elves. What else do I need to say? Elves rock. Elves in space are even cooler.

Eldar have great miniatures. Without a doubt - the Eldar line is the best looking line of figures made by GW, IMO.

Eldar are fast. Second only to Dark Eldar, Eldar are the fastest race in 40K. Almost every unit has access to a mode of transportation that can move them 12" or more each turn.

Eldar have wicked firepower. In spite of their relatively short range, Eldar troops have access to some of the most insane firepower in the game. Being able to close the gap quickly and unleash Shuriken death on your opponents can overwhelm an enemy army in no time.

Eldar units are specialized. Eldar units (especially Aspects) tend to focus on one or two capacities and are very good at their jobs. Using these unit effectively can be challenging but well rewarding because they are often some of the best troops at doing that job.

Eldar are versatile. You can play anything from a static firing line with heavy weapons to a fast moving all jetbike army. Eldar have snipers, jetbikes, walkers, tanks, skimmers, jump infantry - the works. Likewise, Eldar can perform almost any strategy on the battlefield due to their variety of units.

Eldar own the tactics. A good Eldar play will force their opponent to play on their terms. Eldar are fast enough to concentrate their strategy on a single portion of the board and defeat the enemy piecemeal.

Eldar have superstar units. Harlequins, Wraithguard, and Pathfinders to name a few. Eldar armies have access to some of the best units in the game - period. The plethora of special rules means that your opponent will either a) not realize the potency of a unit or b) be completely freaked out by a unit and give them too much attention.

Well - I hope this gets you started. I'm sure other players will post here too to help you out. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to help you out.

Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 14:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Dark Reapers, Wraithlords, Harlequins.

These are units that will have players snapping to attention or newer players quake in fear at the mere mention of them.

You want psychological warfare? Eldar's got it.

To me Eldar is very much about controlling the flow of battle. You're faster than them, you outgun them, you can create localized advantages whilst giving enemy percieved threats. They'll sink half an army's worth of firepower, and utterly obliterate your dark reapers, before realizing that your vyper's already down their flank and the skies are being darkened by the incessant grenade clusters of the swooping hawks overhead.

But there are cons to eldar, especially the stigma. The fact that they can't get past the elves in space image, the fact that players view them as a quintessentially good race despite GW stating they're not, the fact that DoW depicts them as an entire race of pansies. (I always thought of them as more Elrond, ie, killing with barely contained seething anger and straight forward brutality in battle rather than Legolass, ie. the girl that never gets her boots muddy)

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2007, 16:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmongoose2003
Dark Reapers, Wraithlords, Harlequins.

These are units that will have players snapping to attention or newer players quake in fear at the mere mention of them.

You want psychological warfare? Eldar's got it.

To me Eldar is very much about controlling the flow of battle. You're faster than them, you outgun them, you can create localized advantages whilst giving enemy percieved threats. They'll sink half an army's worth of firepower, and utterly obliterate your dark reapers, before realizing that your vyper's already down their flank and the skies are being darkened by the incessant grenade clusters of the swooping hawks overhead.

But there are cons to eldar, especially the stigma. The fact that they can't get past the elves in space image, the fact that players view them as a quintessentially good race despite GW stating they're not, the fact that DoW depicts them as an entire race of pansies. (I always thought of them as more Elrond, ie, killing with barely contained seething anger and straight forward brutality in battle rather than Legolass, ie. the girl that never gets her boots muddy)
I fully agree with crazed mongoose here. If you love having a lot of mobility and a lot of hard hitting guns, then the Eldar are dynamite... Of course, if you'd prefer a non-vanilla army or don't want to be all that mobile, there are always completely different Eldar play styles. (An army with nothing but Wraithguard comes to mind... >) And yes, the Eldar can wage psychological warfare with a few of their well known units, but the interesting thing is I use none of those units...(I'll probably get a wraithlord soon enough though... >) Still, its fun to see your enemies quake before the sheer thought of having to face one of them!

My brother's armies
Space marines: 1500
Daemonhunters: 200- and staying there for a long time.
More Dakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 07:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi dawnblade,

As Farseer Emlyn pointed out- this is no easy question you ask! There are some excellent responses in this thread, and you're sure to get even better reposnses if you are more specific with our fellow members here.

But a short answer to your question:

Quote:
can someone tell me what are the good things about eldar
Well, here's the good things:

- Eldar can be faster than just about any opponent.
- Eldar can have more potent and focused shooting than just about any opponent.
- Eldar can be better in assault than most armies out there.
- Eldar can kill the toughest units in the game better than most armies.
- Eldar have some of the toughest units in the game to kill.

Sounds spectacular right? Pick something you want to be good at- and rest assured with an Eldar army you can do that better than just about anyone around.

So where's the rub?

Eldar can't do everything listed above, at the same time, in the same army list.

There's also a few other things that the gang pointed out that Eldar don't do too well either:

- Eldar can't field tremendously big armies like Imperial Guard, Orks, or Tyranids.
- Eldar don't have units that are good all-around troops like Space Marines, Necrons, or Chaos.
- Most Eldar units are dead the minute your opponent can line up decent fire at them.

So really- the rest is up to YOU. How should you use an Eldar army? Just about any way you like, so long as it's outside the realm of fielding a horde, or trying to get too much functionality out of one particular unit.

If you want to go mechanized, go mech. We're great at that.
If you want an assaulty army- have at it. We excel at close combat.
If you want to shoot someone to death- you can do that too.

Tell us a little about how you envision your Eldar army defeating opponents on the battlefield. Be as descriptive as you can. I'm sure the guys here can help!

Cheers!

- Yriel
Old 07 May 2007, 12:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Cons
As previously said fragile. T3 is very low, and saves are often low 2.
With such varied saves don't lose track, you have to know lots of rules (your codex gets worn wuickly from being flicked through so much)
Painting needs to be of a high standard to match the models (if i'm being honest)
Eldar are expensive to purchase. Squads can be big but cheap eg warwalkers only cost 40 points but can cost lots of money for a 120-200 point squadron

Pros
Painting, you can make some amazing models, especially characters and war machines.
Fluff, its great, you can bring your dead autarch back as a warithlord.
History, the models have been around for a long time so you have a huge choice and a great scope for conversion etc.
Eldar can be cheap to purchase, old models are inexpensive sometimes, also you can have high points cost figures for low money cost.

Army composition and Gaming wise the Eldar are difficult but fun. Modelling, painting and fluff can be very difficult and very rewarding. If you are happy to invest in them I would say Eldar cannot be rivalled for the whole experience.
Velocirapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 02:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Yes, psycological warfare is a key peice in my own strategy *wink* although i have to add: many of the eldar's vehicle models are extremely versatile for only a single purchase, buying a war walker gives:

anti tank
anti MEQ
anti horde
and many wonderful hybrids between these.

another thing about the eldar that caught me from the beginning, they have ninjas! scorps at this aesthetic are a bit iffy, but the banshees are like awesome ninja women in space! who doesn't want that?