Eldar v. Tau 1250 Fight On Saturday
Old 13 Apr 2007, 18:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Eldar v. Tau 1250 Fight On Saturday

Here is my enemies army:
HQ
Shas'El CIB, MP, TA, HWMT

Elites
XV8 TwLMP, Flamer, XV8 Vre TwLMP, AFP, HWMT, HWTL (one team)
XV8 team leader TwLFB, MP, HWMT (Monat)
XV15 X3, DC X3, GD X3

Troops
Kroot X 10
Kroot X 10
Fire Warriors X 11
Warfish TA, DL, MT, SMS

Heavy
Bass X2, SMS, team leader BK, HWDC, SD X2, HWMT, HWTL
Ionhead, SMS, MT, TL, DL

Fast Attack
Piranha FB, TA
Gun Drones X 4

Here is mine:
HQ:
Farseer w/ Doom, Mind War, Singing Spear - 103 pts

Elites:
x5 Fire Dragons - 80 pts

x6 Striking Scorpions w/ Exarch w/ biting blade, shadow strike & infiltrate - 138 pts

Troops:
Guardian Jetbike Squad x3 (one with cannon) - 76 pts

10x Dire Avengers w/ Exarch w/ 2 shur cats, bladestorm - 152 pts

10x Guardians w/ scatter laser w/ Warlock w/ Embolden - 125 pts

Fast Attack:
x5 Swooping Hawks w/ Exarch w/ skyleap, intercept and power weapon -147 pts

Wave Serpent w/ scatter lasers - 125 pts (will be an empty decoy)

Heavy Support:
x3 Dark Reapers - 105 pts

Falcon w/ missile launcher, spirit stones, holofield, vectored engine - 200 pts

Total 1251

I know I need to play with the farseer to give him a spirit stone and some different powers, but what do people think of the match-up overall?
Old 14 Apr 2007, 16:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing
Default Re: Eldar v. Tau 1250 Fight On Saturday

you could break down the scorps for two squads of storm guardians..... that would allow you to get all the kroot, other then that it looks plausable.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

If anyone is curious, the fight did not happen, I repeat the fight was aborted!

We ended up playing a ton of necromunda instead. And also for the record, I was planning to use a farseer with just doom and runes of warding. I woulda used the extra points for 1 more fire dragon and the total woulda been 1249.

Maybe next weekend...
Old 16 Apr 2007, 05:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi Nightwing,

Looks like you're facing a suit heavy Tau list which fails to be thick on the ground and very fast. You have a number of opportunities to exploit weaknesses here.

Many tau players use Kroot as meatshields, but let's not forget they're pretty decent firebases as well- think of them as sporting bolters (from a strength point of view) which grants good bonuses for wooded battlefields, and so his general plan is static element fire supported by decent JSJ and a monat anti-armor option. Up front he has a piranha and drones to keep you occupied early and an Ionhead to keep you honest with the high saves.

I would suggest a list that breaks down his speed early and focuses all that suit fire on things that will allow you to launch one or two deadly ambushes to really clean it up. Let's look at your list:

Quote:
HQ:
Farseer w/ Doom, Mind War, Singing Spear - 103 pts
Not bad, though he's got two shooting attacks (singing spear and Mind War), when he only really needs one. My vote is to drop Mind War- you'll want to use it on his suits and he'll be using JSJ, so even Eldritch Storm might be a better choice. But since you don't have spirit stones- I'd just keep this guy as a stock Doomseer.

You've got a dragon wagon setup- equally great for killing Tau heavy skimmers as they are for sneaking in and popping suits. In fact- I'd prefer to hunt suits based on how his army is set up, you just need to tweak your Falcon.

Namely- you should drop your Missile Launcher in favor of:

A) Scatter Laser
B) Shuriken Cannon/Shuriken Cannon
C) Starcannon

Options A and B are cheaper, while C is 5 points more (but still a better choice- particularly for suit killing). I'm a big fan of B myself- seeing how your falcon will be in the action a lot, allowing you to take advantage of extra S6 shots when you aren't shaken (this will happen to you a lot!).

Elites

Not terribly fond of the Scorpion setup. Roll the wrong mission level and you've wasted almost 4pts/model on infiltrate- plus the biting blade is just asking your opponent to make more 2+/3+/4+ armor saves. With scropions against Tau- they key is to get them in his face, and have enough beef in the ranks to grind it out in as many rounds of combat as you can muster.

You have a Wave Serpent. A pretty good one too. What if we put them together?

8 Scorpions 275pts
Exarch, Scorpion's Claw
In Wave Serpent, Twin-Linked Shuricannons, Hull Mounted Shuricannon, Spirit Stones.

Troops

Jetbikes are great! Can you fit your Doomseer on a bike too? That would be ideal.

You have footslogging avengers with Bladestorm- not sure you'll want that. I'd rather them be firing every turn.

Embolden warlock just isn't worth it on the scatter guardians IMHO.

Old 16 Apr 2007, 15:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yriel, thank you very much for the tips. I really appreciate it. I'm coming into the home stretch at school, which means I have finals and papers due soon. I won't get to play much until I'm done (early May) but I will tweak my army. Dropping the powers on the Scorpions and putting them in the serpent is a great idea. I had planned to only give the farseer doom, so I'll stick with that.

The one thing I REALLY suck at though is disembarking. If ANYONE has tips, I need them. I tend to either let troops out too early and too far away, or too late and too far away.

Finally, the bladestorming avengers were meant to combat his kroot. I figured a few rounds of harassing them, before bladestorming and then assaulting would be a good way to get rid of the kroot.

And lastly, I'd still love to figure out a way to add Yriel as an HQ and some pathfinders... maybe in a few months I'll get to a 1500 point list...

P.S. Isn't the missile launcher a better gun than the others? It's got a higher strength and a better AP rating... I was planning to use the falcon with the fire dragons to go tank hunting...
Old 17 Apr 2007, 03:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing

P.S. Isn't the missile launcher a better gun than the others? It's got a higher strength and a better AP rating... I was planning to use the falcon with the fire dragons to go tank hunting...
Hi Nightwing,

From looking at the raw stats for the weapon you are correct.

However, don't forgget the defensive weapons rule with vehicles. What this means essentially is that if you want to keep your Falcon moving fast (just say YES- you want to keep it moving 7"+ a turn, for the glancing hits rule), then you'll want to use a defensive weapon as the counterpart to your Falcon's pulse laser.

What I mean is- you won't be able to fire both the pulse laser and the missile lancher if you are keeping your falcon on the move. This is bad. A better setup for a mobile falcon is to use a defensive weapon with the pulse laser (S6 or lower) so that you can fire all your weapons on the move.

Disembarking from a skimmer in order to set up a charge, or fire from it takes some practice. A couple of quick tips:

1) When firing from a disembark at the rear of a skimmer (ala Serpent of Fury), always keep your maximum range in mind before deciding to disembark. It will take some practice "eyeballing" the 12"-18" from the enemy unit to the rear of the skimmer, but you'll get the hang of it with some practice.

2) The more advanced technique is setting up charges from skimmers. In the case of Craftworld Eldar it means planning one full turn ahead, because you have to disembark your charging unit before you move your skimmer tank. I'll see if I can whip up some diagrams for you.

- Yriel
Old 17 Apr 2007, 16:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yriel, thanks again for all the help. I see your point now about the star cannon vs. the missle launcher. My only fear is not being able to penetrate the tau tanks. Of couse, I'll have to rearrange points, but that should be doable. Maybe I'll drop back down to the 5 dragons, and spread the points to my farseer and falcon.

As for the diagrams, I think I get what you're saying. Take your time though, because I won't be able to play for weeks at least until I finish my finals.