Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 point army list
Old 07 Mar 2007, 10:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default 2000 point army list

Haven't played in a long time, looking to get back to at least contemplating about playing with the new 4th ed.

Here's a trial 2000 pt list, based somewhat to be economically feasible as well as trying to make the most out of the models i already have.

HQ:

Farseer: Rune of Witnessing, Spirit Stone, Fortune, Doom (140)

Autarch: Jetbike, Reaper Launcher, Power Weapon, Mandiblaster (145)

Elites:

Harlequin Troupe: 8 Harlequins, 1 Shadowseer, 9 Harlequin Kisses (228)

Troops:

10 Pathfinders (240)

3 Jetbikes: 1 Shuriken Cannon (76)

15 Guardians: Scatter Laser Platform, Warlock, Conceal (175)

14 Guardians: Scatter Laser Platform, Warlock, Conceal (167)

10 Dire Avengers: Exarch with bladestorm, power weapon and shimmer sheild (162)
Wave serpent with bright lance, vectored engines and spirit stones (165)

10 Dire Avengers: Exarch with bladestorm, power weapon and shimmer sheild (162)

Heavy Support:

5 Dark Reapers (175)

Total: 2000 points

Please tell me which upgrades are superfluous, cos I'm pretty sure I don't need around half of my upgrades.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2007, 12:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: 2000 point army list

It looks like a pretty solid list. Here are some thoughts, though:

@Autarch - why the Reaper Launcher & Power Weapon / Mandiblasters? You're trying to do two opposing things at the same time. The Reaper Launcher is great if you're going to stay at range and use the jetbike drift to fall back into cover or out of range after shooting. If you're going for close combat, go with the Laser lance instead of the power weapon - the lance is a power weapon but it also augments strength.

@Dire Avengers - personally (and this will inevitably be contended) I don't like that Shimmer Shield / Power Weapon combo with Bladestorm. Go with the Bladestorm / Dual Cats combo if you're going shooty. If not, go with the Shimmer Shield/Power Weapon/Defend combo. Yes, I know, unload your catapults then charge. But think of this, a 10 Avenger squad with Dual Cats will be able to yield 33 shots. Doom or Guide that and you shouldn't have to charge. You can also use the Avenger squads in tandem to make sure one can always shoot (or the guardian squads for that matter).

If you work out the numbers on Dire Avengers in close combat, you'll quickly find that, apart from the Exarch, they aren't a whole lot better than a Guardian Squad with an Enhanced Warlock. So, you're paying points to help a mediocre cc unit survive instead of spending the points on something that will help you kill enemies.

If you have the points, I'd go with a Dark Reaper Exarch with EML & Fast Shot...simply makes them a little more versitile.

Good luck,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I wanted a power sword and mandi for Autarch for sheer fanboy purposes, but I guess no amount of wargear will make him anything close to an Avatar, and he's already costing almost as much as one....

My problem with laser lance on the Autarch is that after the initial turn you're basically left for dead, cos you can't go out again like a shining speer can.

I see what you're saying with the dire avengers though, I think I'm going dual cats with one squad, and exchanging the other squad altogether (plus all the spare guardians) for a squad of banshees in the second serpent.

This utter lack of close combat units besides the one hit wonder of the harlequins isn't too comforting.

So the new list is like:

HQ:

Farseer: Rune of Witnessing, Spirit Stone, Fortune, Doom (140)

Autarch: Jetbike, Reaper Launcher (125)

Elites:

Harlequin Troupe: 8 Harlequins, 1 Shadowseer, 9 Harlequin Kisses (228)

10 Banshees: Exarch with executioner, acrobatic (189)

Troops:

5 Pathfinders (120)

5 Pathfinders (120)

3 Jetbikes: 1 Shuriken Cannon (76)

10 Guardians: Scatter Laser Platform, Warlock, Conceal (159)

10 Guardians: Scatter Laser Platform, Warlock, Conceal (159)

10 Dire Avengers: Exarch with bladestorm, dual shuricats (151)

Heavy Support:

5 Dark Reapers: Exarch with EML and fast shot (?)

Total: around 2000 points I hot

Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

personaly I went for the Laser lance and a squad of shining spears + exarch w/Withdraw

expensive, but deadly. other than that a fine list.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 00:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think you should at least have a power sword on the Autarch for defense purposes so he stands a chance in hand to hand..

Aah! Noo pet peeve...you have bright lances on your serpents...they will work, they are you main source of AT, but they should be giving the avengers fire, they have tons of firepower, but there will always one thing that's going to get them screwed....maybe scatter lasers, cannons, or star cannons, for the points for brightlances would be useless after you kill armour, they can just load things...they need to bring in covery fire for them...unless you face armour heavy lists....

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 01:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingates_hellsing
personaly I went for the Laser lance and a squad of shining spears + exarch w/Withdraw

expensive, but deadly. other than that a fine list.
To make it better with the comment crazedmongoose said about the spearautarch, if you have him with a groups of spears thats +7 ( I think) st6 power weapon attacks ( if you have laser lance, mandiblasters, and shuriken pistol)

But this unit is very costly but deadly and must be used carefully, so just an add-on to WH's suggestion.....

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 01:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, on the speartarch, he's a ton of attacks. You can't withdraw (which I think is what you meant) but he shouldn't really need to either. You can't withdraw with the power weapon either...and it's less likely to make kills. Still, I see your point.

In all honestly, I'm running a winged autarch right now (cc tooled) and I'm working on a speartarch conversion...which should absolutely kick butt! But I digress. What I was going to say is that I have yet to have the cc tooled autarch die. She's taken some serious wounds, but never died. Instand Death is a huge fear of mine with the Autarch. But, honestly, the Force Shield save normally helps avoid that. So I'm not worried about getting the withdraw. Normally, whatever I charge runs anyway. (You're talking about a speartarch having an average of 3 MEQ kills on a charge - the a 10-3 man MEQ Tac squad is going to get an average of 3 wounds [not kills] then the Autarch gets his saves - add this to a Shining Spear unit - 4 MEQ's on a charge - and you could essentially devestate a 10 MEQ unit in a charge).
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2007, 03:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

In responce i meant that he would be moving with that squad.
Old 08 Mar 2007, 09:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ah yes but the laser lance stops working on the second turn, so he's stuck in combat with regular str 3 attacks.

And to tell the truth, as good as the Autarch is, I don't expect him to hold his own in combat without costing a mint, and I don't like it when characters cost a mint, because at the end of the day they're non scoring units and....well....characters. A single force weapon/ powerfist/battle cannon does wonders to even the toughest characters, but unlike your squads, there's only one of him.

Currently I'll prolly add power weapon and mandiblaster back on just cos I have spare points.

Old 08 Mar 2007, 13:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

He can withdraw, as long as he is part of a unit of Shining Spears and the Exarch is alive with the power Withdraw.

I arm mine like this.

Mandiblasters
Fusion Gun
Laser Lance

He can then help tank hunt and character hunt.
Autarch_Kalesh is offline   Reply With Quote