Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Falcon or Fire prism, which is better?
Old 12 Feb 2007, 07:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Falcon or Fire prism, which is better?

Which one of these two tanks is better? Which is more combat effective. From what I have sen the Falcon is more popular why is that?
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Falcon or Fire prism, which is better?

That's like comparing a farm tractor to a racecar...okay not quite.

Here's the idea.

The Falcon is the more versitile of the two. It can tank hunt and carry troops. Thats big for most players who want to get their Aspect warriors to the front ASAP. Secondly, the Falcon is the only transport choice for Harlequins who desperately need to get up and away by turn 2.

Add to this the Falcons' weapons: standard pulse laser plus your choice of a scatter laser, shuriken cannon, starcannon, EML, or bright lance. The Falcon can be anti-tank, anti-infantry or a mixture.

The Fire Prism, on the other hand, serves one purpose only: to kill enemy units. With the new rules: dispersed beam & contribution, the Fire Prism has opened up its versitility to no longer being only a tank hunter. You can now use it (them) against infantry effectively.

Futhermore, having 2-3 Fire Prisms acting as a mobile battery (contributing to one another's shots as needed) can provide an incredible firing base.

So, you can see, that in the right application either and neither is better. If you've seen more people with Falcons, it's because they were the better choice in the last codex. But I surmise that you'll be seeing more Fire Prisms now due to theri new rules. In fact, just check out some of the army lists posted. Many players are going for the 2-3 Fire Prisms as their heavy support choice.

Hope this helps!
Emlyn
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 16:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're going to dedicate one heavy slot to a skimmer, I'd recommend a falcon. A lone prism is not as good as a lone falcon.

If you're going to dedicate two heavy slots to skimmers, I'd recommend two prisms. The ability to link fire is pretty huge and pushes the prism over the top here. Unless you absolutely need the transport.

If you're going to dedicate three heavy slots to skimmers, I'd go with one falcon and two prisms.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 17:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Avenger
Which one of these two tanks is better? Which is more combat effective. From what I have sen the Falcon is more popular why is that?
DA,

Falcon has a long history of being "The Better Tank" in the old rules set due to poor BS on the old Prizm and the falcon's carrying capacity. In the current rules set, it's more a matter of whicj is better for the role that you want. For more on the Falcon's role I refer you to me Tactica: Falcon Grav Tank which pretty much explains it all. For the Fire Prizm you can find some gems in Eldar Heavy Choices, though a true Fire Prizm Tactica is not yet in evidence.
I find that the Prizm fits into the Main Battle Tank role quite well. It has a tendency to spend 1/2 the game shaken and unable to fire, though it is very survivable. It is also a stand-alone unit, where a falcon requires a 5-6 man infantry squad to maximize it's effectiveness.

I hope that helps,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 17:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged of Paragon
I find that the Prizm fits into the Main Battle Tank role quite well. It has a tendency to spend 1/2 the game shaken and unable to fire, though it is very survivable. It is also a stand-alone unit, where a falcon requires a 5-6 man infantry squad to maximize it's effectiveness.
I keep hearing people say this, and yet, in my experience, that just isn't the case.

The prism is still a fast vehicle. And, it has a gun with a 60" range. I typically use diagonals to remain at quite a distance from enemy guns, and terrain to shield from others. This is another way that the prism is used differently than the falcon. The prism is a sniper tank, and if you're not utilizing your range and speed advantage, you're losing out on strengths that you've paid for.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Over all I would have to say that the Falcon is the better choice on a 1 for 1 basis. Even if it can not shoot it usually is carrying a deadly cargo. I use Fire Dragons along with my falcon. So far the Falcon has not let me down in getting them where I need them. I do use a Fire Prism but since I only have one I think I am going to exchange it out for a Wraith Lord. The reason being as stated before the Prisim often can not shoot. You usually get one shot with it. It does however make your opponet pay attention to it. They will not want it shooting. If you field one prism do it as cheap as possible just give it Holo-Field upgrades. If it is by its self use it to draw fire from your opponet. Most of the time they are concerned with shooting it that they will forget about something else.
Autarch_Kalesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 22:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll do something to clear up this stuff on which is better a prism or falcon, because I see big differences in them, and use them in my lists, so I'll so it now and try to clear this all up...

Experience experience, we need experience, but also no favored tank.

We need raw out facts, not raw out my experience with this tank, for: (dramatic music! )

Fire Prism:

Pros:
Serves the role as eldars heavy fire power
Fast
Has a great "buddy system"
Kills about everything
more accurate

Cons:
Less firepower as in shots.

Falcon:
Pros:
Has more firepower as in shots
Transports small squads, but provides a heavier defense unlike serpent, heavier shots
Can kill those spread out squads

Cons:
Less accurate

Now, there are many ways to use these, I'll give some tactics and ways to show they both work good.

Movement under the clouds

The fire prisms provide base covery fire forcing heavy weapon units to take cover, and the falcon(s) go under the fire, unloading the deadly cargo, and hitting targets that could be harmful.

The prisms then kill anything that will harm the falcon.

Pop n' shot

The prism bogs down the enemies, and once again makes fire go towards itself, and the falcon flanks the targets trying to be protected.

Laser/lightning fury

The fire prisms and falcons make a buddy system similar to tactics used in the 1950s korean war by americans called "4 finger system"

One falcon or prism finds a target, and the other looks for potential threats when moving to target it. The other will shoot the danger, and the targetier will kill the main target.

They both serve different purposes, but can work together, and can be used to double another tanks purpose

Prism kills nice amount of squad, but still much left, falcon hunts the rest down

Falcon shoots some fast units, but they get out of range. Prism says," I got'em, I got'em and sends a pie plate on them

They can be used alone, we already now that, so I just showed you a new way. They can work together I guarantee it can work. If it doesn't, what are you doing?

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2007, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

I believe you mean the figure 4 pattern or system. great explaination on how it is used!!! That is a great tactic to use when fielding both a prism and a falcon. For a better example is the movie Top Gun toward the end when Maverick refuses to leave Ice man because. This leaves him out in the open to be picked off by the other fighters in the air. Just ask yourself this would you want to engage one grav-tank or 2 grav-tanks.

uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2007, 22:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah yes thats what I ment figure 4. It makes a tactic for if an enemy tank attacks that one or that one, they'll be showing a weak spot to another at times. Just kind of got tired of who said what was better and they have different purposes, but can be used to double each others purposes by working together.

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2007, 23:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

Hey you don't mind if i use that on a tactica for mech eldar Ged and I are doing would you? I'll give a link and the credit to you if you don't mind.

uriel is offline   Reply With Quote