Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 Point list
Closed Thread
Old 28 Dec 2006, 06:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates
Default 1000 Point list

Spent about an hour and a half on this list, sadly... although I do think it's about as close to perfect as I'm going to get it.

Farseer
-Jetbike
-Fortune
-Singing Spear
@118

6 Pathfinders
@144

6 Pathfinders
@144

6 Pathfinders
@144

4 Shining Spears
Exarch
-Star Lance
-Withdraw
@182

4 Shining Spears
Exarch
-Power Weapon
-Withdraw
@167

Support Weapon Platform
-Vibro Cannon
@50

Support Weapon Platform
-Vibro Cannon
@50

The idea of the list is pretty simple, in my opinion. First turn the pathfinders drop heavy weapons. Second turn they drop unit leaders (burried pfists and what-not) so that the spears can mop up in assault with no worries. Fortunseer goes with the squad of spears that has the star lance. If the other unit of spears get shot up... oh well. One unit will be plenty enough, I think. I'd be happy getting one unit in untouched if the other gets annihilated.

Vibros are in there to keep tanks occupied. There's a mech IG player at my shop, and a Tau player who loves his hammerhead, and just keeping tanks in check all game is well worth 100.Even if they don't make their points keeping down tanks, they can just slap infantry all game, and they mess with my opponent because he'll rethink how to move and it'll hopefully throw him off.

Escalation lists to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 28 Dec 2006, 09:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Farseer Cold-Beer
Default Re: 1000 Point list

Id exchange 1 of your spears for a Fire Prism, 160pts - holo, spiritstone

Apart from that, nice list, although I dont realy use/like most of the unit choices, it seems like together in this way they would work out...
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

An interesting thought on the fire prism; however, I love to walk to a table and laugh at my opponent because his anti-tank weaponry has nothing to do all game... One tank would give it something to do, and I don't see one fire prism being able to stay un-shaken enuogh times for me to get some shots off.

I do plan on including two on my expansion to 1500, though :P
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 28 Dec 2006, 15:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Powerfull, efficient, very nasty...

I'd agree that some kind of ranged anti-tank wouldn't go amis, seeing as all of yours is effectively point-blank ranged.

Overall though, it's pretty deadly... out of curiousity, why Vibro-

Ah, that's the ranged AT. Nevermind. I was thinking of D-Cannons or Shadow Weavers...
Old 30 Dec 2006, 03:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Besides on with using fire prisms, they are best with pairs or more... plus spears pretty much deliver much more and can run away after killing squads, and the leader can move beside a tank and shoot of a st8 shot and laugh, hahaha....your armour 14 is useless.......

Old 30 Dec 2006, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I actually modified the list a little. It now looks like this:

Farseer
-Jetbike
-Fortune
@115

6 Pathfinders
@144

6 Pathfinders
@144

4 Shining Spears
Exarch
-Star Lance
-Withdraw
@182

4 Shining Spears
Exarch
-Star Lance
-Withdraw
@182

Wraithlord
-Scatter Laser
-Eldar Missile Launcher
@135

Support Weapon Platform
-Vibrocannon
@50

Support Weapon Platform
-Vibrocannon
@50

The Wraithlord rounded out the list too well. I didn't want to... but man... it fit perfectly. If big shots go off towards the Wraithlord, great! That means less at my Spears. Provides some extra dakka, extra mobile scoring unit, a tie up, protect my pathfinders from assault, etc, etc. He just fit too well... Also opened up points to give star lances to both squads, and he just... grr. I hate him, pretty much. I didn't really wanna put him but he filled out too nicely.
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 31 Dec 2006, 09:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Doublepost... yay. Apparently people love to comment on lists!

Anyways, seeing as all of the people looked at the list and no one realized 4 spears+exarch w/ star lance & withdraw is 192, not 182, I had to re-tool my list.

Therefore, my new list looks like this:

Farseer
-Jetbike
-Fortune
-Singing Spear
@118

6 Pathfinders
@144

6 Pathfinders
@144

4 Shining Spears
Exarch
-Star Lance
-Withdraw
@192

4 Shining Spears
Exarch
-Star Lance
-Withdraw
@192

Support Weapon Platform
-Vibrocannon
@50

Support Weapon Platform
-Vibrocannon
@50

That all comes out to 890 points. That leaves me 110 points for my wraithlord, leading to two viable configs:

Wraithlord
-Wraithsword
-Shuriken Cannon
-Flamer
-Flamer
@110

Wraithlord
-Scatter Laser
-Flamer
-Flamer
@110

First off, we have to consider the tactical application of my wraithlord in this list. It's going to go down on the table, front and center. It's used to protect my pathfinders from assault, and also to push up the field (maybe, depends if my opponent has deepstrikers or anything else weird that I need to worry about) and fire with it's weapon, and maybe throw down a couple flame templates and then assault and hold a unit up all game, or until my spears show.

So, the first consideration is range. Obviously, a scatter laser trumps a shuricannon's meager range. However, since the wraithlord is going to be upfront, a 30" effective range will generally be enough. Also, the wraithsword helps a bit with the assault. If I don't have to hang back to protect the pathfinders, then I can move up and set up the flamer+assault move. A wraithsword adds 50% to my combat effectivness for very cheap. Even against normal marines, we look at 3 attacks getting an extra 25% chance to hit, so .75 hits, or about 12 points on the assault. Easy enough, that pays for itself. But it also gets used during my opponent's assault phase, whereas for 10 points I could pick up a little more range and an extra shot...

I personally lean towards the sword/cannon config, although I'd like to see what all of you think.
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 01 Jan 2007, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Alcibiates,

I have to agree with your assessment of the two WL configs. I'd stick with the SHuriken Cannon/Wraithsword Combo, as this wil have practical applications as a couner assault unit; whereas the Scatterlaser Variant will lose a good deal of it's effectiveness when applied in this venue. While I realize that your Shining Spears could be used as counterassault, I must assume that you want them ranging out front and doing damage, ratrher than hanging around with the Pathfinders.

Just my 2 cents,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
Old 02 Jan 2007, 05:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I played against the second best player in the shop today (I'd rank myself above him, but meh) and got a draw. It was against a good Space Wolves army that's been giving fits to everybody in the shop, and I knew going in that he was my worst match up, because my vibros can't do a thing against him. Some random s4 shots rolling about isn't going to do much. Also, he has a squad of bloodfangs that are just impossible to assault. He packs 2 pfists, 2 pweps, and joins a charcter onto the squad that has a power wep as well. So, if I get lucky, I can only have 3-4 pweps swinging back, but still... Pretty much anything I throw at the squad is dead after he swings back.

Just going down the list for performance:

Farseer - Can't say much here. He did some good work in assault, although I forgot to account for him being s5 when attacks came in. The wolves player cancelled the first three tries with fortune (or maybe two) but my spears were way off by the time it finally worked. I'll be keeping him as is.

Pathfinders - I wasn't really keeping track of specific damage they did, although a lot of their shooting was just removing runic charms from termies. Not 100% happy with them, but they did pretty good, and I don't like my other choices for troops at all. I was silly with one squad and placed them on a terrain light side of the board. It got him to deploy funny which probably helped me a ton, but they did very little. Four died turn 1. Also had some major problems with them failing target priority tests (2 in the first 2 turns!) but I don't expect that bad of luck ever again.

Spears - Lost three to shooting all game, which made me happy. Going to have to practice with them because I almost slipped up a couple times and let them get shot up by bolter pistols. I never really think about them because I don't expect them to do much damage, but Spears are any more survivable than a marine! One thing I was a bit vague on for Star Lance rules, is if you massacre a unit, and consolidate into another unit, do they get to use power weapon attacks when they swing in the new assault? I think it hurt me a little that I had to do that, but it was better than being assaulted on my turn. Hit and Run is amazing (obviously!)

Wraithlord - Took one wound from shooting, and had some BAD rolling for wounds. Three turns of assault, three failed wounds. With some better rolling he would have been fantastic, as is, he was good. Shuricannon did little due to power armor saving everything, but I know it's there just for some pot shots.

Vibrocannons - I knew they would do little against him, although I was rather happy with the fact that they pump out so many dice that he can't ignore them ^_^ He had to chase down the platform and two rangers with ~250pts of stuff just to make sure they died. Have to remember to think ahead for the shooting phase, though.

I'm pretty settled on this being my Tournament list, however, against the Space Wolves, I was looking at swapping out the Wraithlord and Support Platforms for :

War Walker
-Starcannon
-Starcannon
-Spirit Stones
@85

War Walker
-Starcannon
-Starcannon
-Spirit Stones
@85

War Walker
-Shuricannon
-Shuricannon
@45

Gives me 8 plasma shots per turn, and just knock out the termies. If nothing else, it'll take all pressure off of my bikes for a turn or two while they get into assaults that I like (most likely double assaulting the blood fangs squad) and I get set with everything.

Thoughts?
Quote:
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 04 Jan 2007, 02:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

usually with spears you don't want them to be out in the open, nice juicy points if you use them for shooting.. i usually look for a squad straying a little to far from the rest of the army, and the best to put with them is an Autarch with mandiblasters, lance, pistol, jetbike. (well duh jetbike and pistol he's going with the squad :P) an extra 7 ws6 in6 st6 attacks, including 9 other st6 attacks..making 16 power weapon attacks at st6, is fun ;D

Closed Thread