Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need help with a 'Tau killer' army
Closed Thread
Old 14 Dec 2006, 01:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Need help with a 'Tau killer' army

Recently, I was looking around the net and around my local gaming community and I noticed how popular the tau are. Everyone seems to have a tau army. I mean I understand the appeal and such, but it's outrageous at how many people play tau.

Seeing as there are so many tau players, I think it would be beneficial to know a good 'Tau killer' army or strategies for killing tau with Eldar. They have every race out-gunned and most races only have a hope in close combat so I would like to hear strategies and see army lists of armies that have been successful in "closing the gap" or just generally stomping on the tau.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 01:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Need help with a 'Tau killer' army

I personally use jetbikes. Fast, having a 3+INV save when moving 24" and get some decent weapons plus they can threaten with CC. Lots of them.

Against static opponents, use Infiltration and Deepstrike.
Against mech opponents, use lots of deep striking and Lances. Those are always fun!
Old 14 Dec 2006, 02:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Stay out of the 18-42" range. Under that, you can bring spinners, fusions, and melee to bear, and beyond that you have EML, reapers and prisms. Really, it depends a lot on the list. If you go all out s6 weapons at mid range, you could probably make that work too.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 03:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Deep strike, INV, and Infiltration are your friends. Use them liberally
Old 14 Dec 2006, 03:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi Razae,

The Tau bring a very interesting matchup to Eldar on the tabletop. They can beat you in a straight up firefight, and can almost cover the board as well as Eldar too. Tau players who know how to beat Eldar regularly invest in volume fire- notably the missile pod, and smart missile systems can be worriesome for your units like Warp Spiders or encroaching Swooping Hawks, as well as deployed Fire dragons from falcons.

That said- there are some good units that can be run in set plays against Tau.

Jetbikes, as mentioned previously, work well against Tau. Especially fortuned jetbikes, with or without warlock bikes work very well. If I can find an opening with jetbikes- I'll normally fortune them and turbo boost them, giving me a 3+ rerollable invul save up a weak side flank to force the action up close and personal. Bikes (especially fortuned ones) make excellent stalling units, and can handle Tau skimmers with decent reliability.

Harlequins work well too. With Veil of Tears, Harlequins void many of the Tau's superior ranged weapons. Harelquins are well equipped to deal with stealth teams, and will shred line after line of firewarriors on their way to the crisis and broadsides in the back. A Tau player may be interested in drawing his skimmers over to your Harlequins- you can use this to your advantage.

Falcons and Wraithlords make for great threat saturation against Tau.
If your wraithlord is configured for anti-tank- it will remain a threat to Tau Hammerheads and skimmers, just keep it out of Broadside LoS. Falcons can be reliable transports for Dragons and Dire Avengers, but you have to pick your drop carefully.

Essentially- you'll want to close as fast as possible, preferrably up a flank to try and deny as much LoS as possible. It's risky, but when you think about it you're giving the Tau player maybe 1-2 good rounds of shooting before he feels pressed. Use Hit 'N Run capable units, like Shining Spears and Warp Spiders to facilitate private firing lanes and try to break/tie up as much in combat as you can.

Old 14 Dec 2006, 05:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333

I'd recommend swooping hawks but keeping them in reserve and taking advantage of their templates and skyleap for the first 2-3 turns until the ground battle feels a little safer and then you can utilize their speed and range to take care of weaker targets like fire warriors which have the same profile as your swooping hawks. If you do it right you can step just inside their 30" range and shoot up enough of their squad so that they can't fire back, or if they do, they'll be inaccurate and not cause too much damage back.

Tau HATE Falcons and Fire Prisms - especially fire prisms. One fire prism can insta-kill crisis suit teams (if they're packed tightly) or wipe out entire fire warrior teams with ease, and can take rain gun hits like a champ.

Anything with a 3+ save will cause problems for tau, as they simply do not have that much AP3. So warp spiders and striking scorpions will do you well, as well as wraithguard. Again, jetbikes do well in this department as well, not to mention they're faster than crisis suits and can move 12", shoot, and then jump 6" behind cover - using the same strategy as the suits use. Just try to use your speed to outflank them, and you should be fine. Having a tough unit barrell down the middle like wraithguard or a wraithlord or maybe even the Avatar while you flank the sides puts a lot of pressure on tau. If you start to get close, I find that most tau players get nervous, so have something get close enough to get them nervous early, and maybe you'll get lucky enough that they'll make a mistake.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 16:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razae
They have every race out-gunned and most races only have a hope in close combat so I would like to hear strategies and see army lists of armies that have been successful in "closing the gap" or just generally stomping on the tau.
Heh, not intended as a flame, but recently I've been reading the Eldar Reference Sheet with a fellow Chaos player, and the only comment could be "holy Sheet". I dare say Eldar got the Tau outgunned pretty badly with all these upgrades their units got in the newest Codex...

You can just load your serpents with harlekinks or simply waltz straight into the Tau line under protection of the overpowered veil, and while they try to contain the psycho clowns outbreak, shoot them to bits w/cauldron born Eldar vehicles loaded with bladestorming Dire Avengers (Dark Reapers Exarch would be a great help against battlesuits w/his special missile launcher, and Eldar Prism seems to pwn the Hammerhead, or be at least evenly matched (although cheaper).

At least thats how I see it. Not played against them yet, but seriously, the Eldar potential seems crazy these days...

- Caboose, an alien
Old 15 Dec 2006, 18:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333

Harlequins can't take a transport. The only hope of transporting them in in a Falcon with 6 models, and we all know falcons are usually reserved for fire dragons anyway.

Yes, the eldar are powerful (as they were meant to be!) but we are few in number as we are a dying race, and our speed - our greatest strength - comes as a result of sacrificing toughness. Looking at the reference sheet will not give you the full depth of how expensive and fragile the eldar are, but indeed we are powerful.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 18:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Since I haven't seen it mentioned, let me showcase a great anti-Tau weapon: The Eldar Missile Launcher!

vs. Fire Warriors, Kroot, and Drones: AP4, and Pins

vs. Crisis Suits and Stealth Suits: AP3, and Instant Kill due to double toughness.

vs. Tau Armor: S8 goodness.

Cost is reletively low when compared to Starcannons and Brightlances.

This is the one weapon in the Eldar Arsenal that hurts everything in the Tau Army shy of Broadside Suits... ;D
TTFN,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
Old 15 Dec 2006, 18:53   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well - the Eldar vehicles have the reputation of being the toughest in the entire game, and quite many of your troops have quite reasonable saves, possibly with a reroll. Besides, jetbikes have 3+ inv when turbo-boosting... Bad for us, as the Tau will generally want to stay out of combat (not that that's some news).

What really bothers me (and the only way I can really contribute to this thread besides whining, heh ;D) is that Reaper Exarch launcher. If I were playing Eldar I would take one just for swamping Crisis Battlesuits like there's no tomorrow. Besides, with their range and lack of sufficiently low AP weaponry, the Tau will have serious trouble trying to take them out.

Also what the Fire Prisms do is just plain EVIL. Just compare the firepower, speed and survivability... And kitted out for combat, it's less expensive.

I saw the cost of these Eldar units... And I still say that for the same buck the Tau get much, much less bang. I wouldn't switch armies, but how come we get 12" Neutron Blasters attached to glass-like troops, while the Eldar gain +2 Str on their Fusion Guns with better saves, mounted in a nigh-indestructible transport... The list could go on. Heck, the Eldar even got stealth fields better than these of Tau. Yes, they are frail - but it's reflected only by their Toughness stat... I don't see them dying in droves, somehow.

- Caboose, an alien
Closed Thread