Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deep Striking
Closed Thread
Old 26 Nov 2006, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Deep Striking

Hi, this is kinda stupid to some of you but say I deepstrike my swoopong hawks behind some Tau, am I allowed to move shoot assault, because my friends said you can only shoot when you deep strike, leaving your guys out in the open to get killed by who knows what. One time, I was on a team, an enemy necron player deep strikes among my friends ranks, causing havoc. So, as my job, I deepstriked 20 warp spiders intending to shoot 40 shots int their robotic bodies, laying down all of them besisdes 2. Next turn all besides 3 come back to life, shoot one of my squads down, charges the other, and I'm outta there. I see deepstriking useless now, and think that it's just a waste of points, because I have to wait a turn and get murdered, and usually they don't have cover around their troops. I need some help on what you can do when deepstriking.

Old 26 Nov 2006, 01:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Deep Striking

You're not allowed to move or assault, so, yeah, you're stuck just shooting. Hawks at least get something out of it in that they can drop a grenade pack, which is moderately useful against light infantry. Spiders really don't want to Deep Strike when up against Necrons - Spider Deep Striking is best used to get rear armor hits on vehicles. You'd use them in the same way that Marine players used Land Speeders (pre-FAQ) - drop them and squeeze off 8 BS4 and 4 BS5 S6 shot into the back of a vehicle (that's an average of 4.33 glancing hits!).

Against troops, though, Spiders are much better off using their jump packs. They're fast enough to start shooting from the second turn, and they can keep dodging back out of range with their assault move. Or, if the enemy does advance on you, they can shoot, charge, and hit and run away at the end of the next assault phase.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 12:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I remember seeing in the eye of terror codex "wraithgate", say I deepstirike in, can i use one of those? I thought it would always be fun to bring striking scorpions and harlies behind the enemy and tear them up.

Old 27 Nov 2006, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That wouldn't work, as these Webway portals are exclusive to the Ulthwe Strike Force list, so you could only use a single Aspect Warrior unit and no Harlies or most vehicles.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 02:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

oh, I've always wanted an Ulthwe/ Bel-tan army

Old 27 Nov 2006, 07:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Generally deepstriking is best with small suicide squads that can do a lot of damage and make up their points in one turn. This is a small squad of Storm Troopers with meltas for a vehicle or flamers for troops.
The alternative to deepstriking small suicide squads is to deepstrike an entire army such as drop pod marines.
Drop Troop Guard combines the two in hopes that the last few suicide squads aren't.

Spiders are a unit I think should never be deep struck, they just have too much firepower to waste by being off the board for several turns.