Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Eldar army list! (Biel-Tan kinda) [1500 points]
Closed Thread
Old 08 Nov 2006, 01:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Kiirnodel Send a message via MSN to Kiirnodel
Default New Eldar army list! (Biel-Tan kinda) [1500 points]

Hello all! I have been a long-time Biel-Tan player and with the new codex, I figured it'd be time to revise my army. So upon visiting a gaming store, a person had the codex on hand, much to my happiness. Unfortunately, the codex for sale only came in some big box thing, and I couldn't... well, I could afford it... but I'd rather get food this month :P

So, I read through it as quickly as possible, but I can't remember all of my adjusted points, Spiders and Reapers mainly. I know it's against the rules to post points, so I'm going to ask - Is this close enough?

Either way, here's my revised Biel-Tan list, I need to drop it to 1500 points.

HQ-
Eldar Farseer -Singing Spear, Shuriken Pistol, Rune Armor, Ghosthelm, Spirit Stone; Fleet, Fortune, Doom - 133 Points

Elites-
Striking Scorpions [9x] - Scorpion Chain-sabre, Shuriken Pistol, Mandiblaster, Plasma Grenades
- Exarch - Scorpion Chain-sabre, Scorpion Claw, Mandiblaster, Plasma Grenades; Shadowstrike, Stalker
- 212 points

Fire Dragons [5x] - Fusion Gun, Melta Bombs; Fleet, *Tank Hunter
- Exarch - Fusion Gun, Melta Bombs; Fleet, Tank Hunter
- 123 points
- Falcon Riders

Troops-
Dire Avengers [x9]- Avenger Shuriken Catapult; Fleet, *Blade Storm
- Exarch - Twin Avenger Shuriken Catapult; Fleet, Blade Storm
- Wave Serpent Transport - Bright Lance, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapults, Energy Field, Spirit Stone
- 292 points

Guardian Defender Squad [x10] - Shuriken Catapult; Scatter Laser Anti-Grav platform
- Warlock - Witch Blade, Shuriken Pistol, Rune Armor; Conceal
- 140 points

Fast Attack-
Vyper Light Skimmer - Scatter Laser, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapults
- 60 points
Warp Spiders [x7] - Death Spinner, Warp Jump Generator; *Hit & Run, * Deep Strike
- Exarch - Spinneret Rifle, Powerblades, Warp Jump Generator; Withdraw, Surprise Assault
- 238 points

Heavy Support-
Falcon Heavy Skimmer - Scatter Laser, Pulse Laser, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapults, Spirit Stone, Holo-field
- 175 points
Dark Reapers [4x] - Reaper Rocket Launcher
- Exarch - Reaper Rocket Launcher
- 187 points

1560 total, I think?

Any words of wisdom? I'd like to better equip my reaper exarch, but need more points >.<

Biel-Tan Swordwind Player
Old 08 Nov 2006, 16:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: New Eldar army list! (Biel-Tan kinda) [1500 points]

Well, your 60 Points over and there are some things in the list you really don't need;

Deep Strike for your Spiders really isn't needed. They are fast enough to get where you want them anyway.

Reaper Exarchs are a point sink, I'd drop him. You definatley shouldn't be upgrading him anymore. Worst Exarch in the army.

I also don't see much point in the Warlock with the Guardians, I can only see a need for him in bigger Guardian Squads.

By dropping those things you have just under 1500 points; a legal list.

Other than that, I really like your list and wouldn't suggest any changes.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 16:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

i would find another 30 pts on top of that to put my farseer on a jetbike. Remember you cannot cast a power from inside a vehicle. So if you think about it transporting seers with units you want fortuned, guided, doomed , etc is alot more complicated.

The warlock is iffy given the size of the squad because his cost is about 2/3 the cost of the cost he is concealing its not worth it. It would probably make most sense to take 1 warlock w/ conceal at around 15-20 guardians.

Drop deep strike from spiders. I like the dual spinners better, but that is just preference really.

I've never felt reapers fighting style is a good fit in biel-tan they are too immobile, although at 1000 pts i can see their need. they will provide a nice firebase and i would probably take vec's advice on them regarding the exarch.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd agree with finding the points for the Farseer to get a Jetbike, unless you plan to have him babysit the Reapers. Which is probably the best option for him in this list.

If he is, then I'd even consider dropping Doom and Spirit Stones and trying to squeeze and extra Scatter Laser Vyper in there.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 20:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Alright, so I assume my memory was accurate enough.

Alright, taking Deep Strike away from the spiders seems ok, as an afterthought it seemed fairly unnecessary.

I don't like farseers on jetbikes. Personal preference, kind of for fluff reasons, he just wouldn't ride one. I might try it out sometime.

Yes, he babysits the reapers and slaps fortune on the reapers while they lay support fire. The farseer can also doom units, although I don't remember the exact range on doom, but I feel confident in its usefulness.

No conceal or warlock? Interesting idea, but I guess that might work =D

I'm semi-partial to dark reaper exarchs, care to express why he isn't that spectacular? [He's 83 points with the upgrades I like, I think, is he so bad with fast shot and a missile launcher?]

Old 08 Nov 2006, 21:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

'I'm semi-partial to dark reaper exarchs, care to express why he isn't that spectacular? [He's 83 points with the upgrades I like, I think, is he so bad with fast shot and a missile launcher?]'

Because he costs so much. You don't need the EML as your reapers shouldn't be shooting at heavy tanks.

A Reaper will kill; 0.8888 Marines

A Reaper Exarch with Missile Launcher will kill; 1.3888 Marines.

3 Extra Marine kills during the entire game IF he gets to shoot every turn, so a total of 45 points made and it's unlikely you'll get to shoot every turn. Just not worth it.

Old 08 Nov 2006, 21:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
'I'm semi-partial to dark reaper exarchs, care to express why he isn't that spectacular? [He's 83 points with the upgrades I like, I think, is he so bad with fast shot and a missile launcher?]'

Because he costs so much. You don't need the EML as your reapers shouldn't be shooting at heavy tanks.

A Reaper will kill; 0.8888 Marines

A Reaper Exarch with Missile Launcher will kill; 1.3888 Marines.

3 Extra Marine kills during the entire game IF he gets to shoot every turn, so a total of 45 points made and it's unlikely you'll get to shoot every turn. Just not worth it.

I was talking about plasma missiles, I play against DE and Tau often.

Old 08 Nov 2006, 22:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Blast templates will only be hitting one model against any decent opponent in most cases. So;

Reaper;

1.11111 Kills

Exarch;

1.11111 Kills

So an even lower return on points.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 23:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to whitestar333

Quote:
Blast templates will only be hitting one model against any decent opponent in most cases. So;

Reaper;

1.11111 Kills

Exarch;

1.11111 Kills

Not entirely true, i alway get at least 3-4 partials, and with two shots thats ~5 hits and with plasma missiles pinning now, thats even better! I play against DE and SM (scouts) and i took it in 3rd edition. Not to mention its great for MCs to launch 2 kraks.
Personally ill be taking the tempest launcher with fast shot (heavy 3/blast S4 AP3!?) - i dont care if it scatters, thats a lot of AP3! Also it isnt a barrage so you multiply the hits, not scatter the templates.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 00:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:

Reaper;

1.11111 Kills

Exarch;

1.11111 Kills

I usually hit 2-3 partials, with fast shot I usually take out 3 fire warriors (33 points per turn) and have a fair chance of pinning, a great reason to take the weapon.

I'm sorry, whitestar, I am lacking the codex and don't have the information on the tempest launcher, and seeing as this forum doesn't permit giving away points values, I'm not sure how to weigh that in :\

Closed Thread