Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Games Workshop duz it again
Closed Thread
Old 03 Oct 2006, 08:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Games Workshop duz it again

Duz anyone know what the 4th Edition rules are for Disembarking and going into battle....... What I'm really asking can you move 12 inches and disembark then assult??? I sent an email to GW but they said they wouldn't answer that in an email like the fate of the freeworld was held in the balance. it covers if the vehicle don't move then you move as normal but assaults are not movement....totally different phase. but i heard a while ago that you could no longer disembark then assult.... OK i better stop now b4 I start ranting
Old 03 Oct 2006, 13:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Games Workshop duz it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyster
Duz anyone know what the 4th Edition rules are for Disembarking and going into battle....... What I'm really asking can you move 12 inches and disembark then assult??? I sent an email to GW but they said they wouldn't answer that in an email like the fate of the freeworld was held in the balance. it covers if the vehicle don't move then you move as normal but assaults are not movement....totally different phase. but i heard a while ago that you could no longer disembark then assult.... OK i better stop now b4 I start ranting
Xyster,

The reason that they wouldn't email it to you is that it is covered in the rule book. You are essentially correct, if the transport moves then the infantry aboard cannot disembark and assault. This was done to shut down the "Rhino Rush" armies that dominated third edition. If you read carefully you will find that there is a way to protect your assault troops and let them attack from the transport, and you've already covered it in your above query. Remember that embarkation and disembarkation are handled during the movement phase. Just think about it.

RTFM,
Ged of Paragon

EDIT:

Oh, and when dealing with GW employees (you'll only ever get "Jeff" or "John" or some other cypher...) it's best to quote Page # and paragoraph, then ask for clarification, or forother Page and Paragraph #s. They are forbidden to quote exact rules by company policy, but they're usually happy to go over a particular bit so long as you can "prove" that you have the rule book by quoting it yourself. (The reason they have the policy is to prevent people from getting enough info from their support staff to play without a big black book...)

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
Old 03 Oct 2006, 13:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As Ged has stated above, the rule is in the 4th Ed rulebook, towards the end of the vehicles section, under Disembarking (I think). There are are ways of disembarking and assaulting, and they are covered in that section.
Old 05 Oct 2006, 12:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

yea but my waveserpent based Biel-Tan army loved to chew on Space marines. with my skimmers my whole army was faster than any low tech rhino army. other than my 1 Guardian squad and farseer and heavy support.. gotta love the 2 warwalkers with 4 scatter lasers and guide and the lord with his bright lance.... well unless i used Melvin (my wraithlord with the power to miss any brightlance shot) seems everytime he is on the board he will be lucky to hit once with the lance...Orcs out shoot him.
Old 05 Oct 2006, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to alcibiates Send a message via MSN to alcibiates

It's actually different for open-topped vehicles, so if you have a DE friend or Ork friend, they can still pull the move off, so yeah. Thought I'd clear that up to save any fights with any DE players. I know people argue stuff like that often enough with me >_<
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMined
...Huh? What the crap?
Old 08 Oct 2006, 22:19   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Basically, if you want the protection of a close-topped vehicle, you have to spend at least one turn under the guns of you enemy as you advance. Personally, I have found as long as you put a few other targets out there for your enemies to plink away at, your Serpent full of Banshees or Falcon full of Harlies can often survive for a single turn.

In addition, you don't have to be all THAT close for the tactic to work. Consider the fact that you can deploy 2" from the door of the transport, move 6", and then Fleet if neccessary about another 3" before assaulting a further 6". That's a long way, averaging 17"(!) in the open, a few inches less if you have to assault into cover at the end of it.
Closed Thread