Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wraithguard
Closed Thread
Old 30 Sep 2006, 14:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Wraithguard

After seeing their new stats in the Elder codex I quickly went over to buy some to start working on my Elder. Then I picked one up I looked for the price tag. When I could not find it I remembered we had switched to the letter system. So I looked at the letter on the box, the letter I, and thought to myself.. Uh oh. I found the price chart and discovered that Wraithguard cost $15 US! One stinking model for $15?? I'm not a big fan of spending $75 on a minimum squad. Seems what we don't pay for in points, we pay for in price.

This gives we a dilemma. I play an Iyanden themed army, but now don't really want to buy the wraithguard. I was thinking of taking different aspect warriors instead.

So far I have

Farseer

18 Guardians and a star cannon heavy weapon platform

10 Dark reapers(gonna get rid of at least 5, possibly all of them)

2 wraithlords

wave serpent

5 rangers/ pathfinders

I don't want to get any more wraithlords, and am considering selling all of my dark reapers(they suck up to many points)
I also like the Idea of having some of my foot troops being mechanized. I also like a mix of close combat and shooting. Just looking for suggestions for what to do.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Wraithguard

It's arguable that Iyanden should field more Dire Avengers than Wraithguard for fluff purposes (actually, that goes for all craftworlds). Basically, they have a large shrine of Asuryan (last I checked), which should provide them with plenty of the blue warriors.

Also, I wouldn't overlook Reapers, they're certainly dark enough to fit the bill.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 16:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

well you cant use the normal lists then bcuase if you play Iyanden you have to have more wraithguard the lords.

Old 30 Sep 2006, 20:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

That makes me sad. I was thinking of starting an Iyanden army, but now that I know the cost....

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 30 Sep 2006, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

It's because the models are huge... I'm pretty sure they dwarf Stealths, and are taller (if lankier) than Crisis suits. That said... stripping down a Stealthsuit and Eldarizing it is seeming like a pretty good option for Wraithguard right now.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 14:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayruun
It's arguable that Iyanden should field more Dire Avengers than Wraithguard for fluff purposes (actually, that goes for all craftworlds). Basically, they have a large shrine of Asuryan (last I checked), which should provide them with plenty of the blue warriors.
I see the logic in the statement, but according to the fluff, 4/5 people are dead in Iyanden, and all of the fluff seems to indicate their armies are made up mostly of ghost warriors (hence, Ghost Warriors ) The Shrine of Asuryan is referring to Asuryan- the greatest of Eldar gods, and Asurmen- the Hand of Asuryan lends you some credit for belieinv that Iyanden would have a fair amount of Dire Avengers. I just don't think the number of Avengers left on Iyanden would compare to the number of wraithguard they're actually using in combat.

Yes- wraithguard keep getting more and more expensive. If you are going to an aspect themed army- I'd echo Baryuun's statement and start with Dire Avengers. Proxy some of the other Aspect and see what you like.

Old 02 Oct 2006, 15:09   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You can still stick to the theme of a dying craftworld, even if you don't run the ghost warriors. You might want to, as the craftworld codex is about to become obsolete.

For thematical purposes, you could field a small core of Iyadian troops, such as a Farseer of course, and maybe some small units of basic troops (to represent how the tyranids screwed em over). In addition to that, you might want to field other troops painted in different color schemes with different symbols to iyadian. This could represent mercenaries or recruit to your cause.

At this point in time I would strongly discourage you from playing a classic Iyadian army in the new codex, becasue rumor is in order to be a troop choice, you need a full squad of ghost warriors. Thats 10.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 16:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As to the cost issue: This is one area where I'm going to have to tip my hat to free enteprise. You can generally find people selling whole armies/units at a time on Ebay for resonable prices. You can also order from many online sites that undersell the GW corporate location by quite a bit. This goes against all of my own "Support your local Gaming Store" teachings, but if your building something as expensive as this Ghostwarrior army is likely to be, you may just have to cheat...

As to the FoC issue: The new Dex doesn't seem to be hurting any craftworld (Except maybe Ulthwe). By moving Warp Spiders to FA, and improving Dire Avengers and Shining Spears, Biel-Tan is still viable. With ranger upgrades rumoured to be available, Alaitoc will be fine, no more ranger disruption - but their core units will be OK; and no more Mandatory 2-ranger limit before selecting other things. With Jetbikes now in the troops section, fluffy Samm-Hain armies are sure to return, and the old Cliche 18-vyper army is a thing of the past. While Black Guardians are gone, along with Seer Councils - You can still have a retinue of warlocks and up to 2 farseers in an army; and theres no shortage of guardians, black or otherwise.

I can't see them boning over the Iyanden players by placing a max-size unit minimum on Ghostwarrior troops. This would completely defeat the mechanized Iyanden concept that makes the wraiths a viable force on the battlefield.

I suppose if worst comes to worst you can have 10 man squads with a conceal warlock, and a fortune seer. i.e better than Terminators with 3+ re-rollable save and 5+ re-rollable Inv. Save (Termie 2+ save is 83% save chance, 3+ re-rollable save is 88% save chance; and don't get me started on the rerollable cover save... > ) Use a squad of Dire Avengers for your second cumpulsory (as they may be 1+ according to some rumors) You can then fill up you elites choices with mounted wraithguard, and your HS with Wraithlords. This all assumes that the troops unit must be 10-man. The only rumor I heard is that they had to be led by a warlock in order to be troops, so I guess we'll just have to see.

They can take away the Codex: Craftworld, but they can't take the Craftworlds out of the Codex!!! :rockon:
Ged of Paragon

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
Old 02 Oct 2006, 18:06   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GedofParagon

I can't see them boning over the Iyanden players by placing a max-size unit minimum on Ghostwarrior troops. This would completely defeat the mechanized Iyanden concept that makes the wraiths a viable force on the battlefield.

I read in the rumors section on this website that unless taken in full squads, the Wratihguard are elites not troops. This allows potential for Iyadian, but still changes it a bit.
Old 02 Oct 2006, 19:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrojansheep
At this point in time I would strongly discourage you from playing a classic Iyadian army in the new codex, becasue rumor is in order to be a troop choice, you need a full squad of ghost warriors. Thats 10.
Thats not a rumor, its fact, I've read the new codex

that is the main reason I am discouraged from taking them(not mentioned before I guess). $150 Us dollars for a troop choice is not so good.

I like the idea of Having a lot of dire avengers, now that they shoot 18", defend extends to the squad, and so does that 5+ combat save thingy. They are pretty vicious in combat.
Closed Thread