Warhammer 40K Forum

My new Ulthwe army.
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2004, 12:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default My new Ulthwe army.

1500pts

Seer council.

5 farseers, fortune, mind war times 4. Wich blades pistols and runes and ghost helms. 10 warlocks with wich blades and pistols. One with enhance, one with embolden. 8 with augment. As mant further warlocks with nothing.

7 black guardians with bright lances.
7 black guardians with brightlance.

Wrathlord brightlance.
Wrathlord brightlance.
Wrathlord brightlance.

Disclamer:This thred is not to be used to duscuss fluff or balance. This disclamer has been advised by blooded fangs and acording to him anyone duscussing such things is off topic.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 12:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del
Default Re: My new Ulthwe army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Edwin
Disclamer:This thred is not to be used to duscuss fluff or balance. This disclamer has been advised by blooded fangs and acording to him anyone duscussing such things is off topic.
Then this topic should be locked immediatley: thats what army list posts are FOR... but we'll allow a ban on fluff discussion.

Well, let's see... a Fragile force such as Eldar relies on speed and/or firepower. This has neither. All it has is one very sturdy unit, three fairly sturdy's , and a major problem against any force with numbers.

All that needs to happen is volleys of lascannons, krak missiles, stacannons, and the wraithlords are gone.

Heavy bolter fire will tear those gaurdians down in seconds.

8 with augment... thats 4 powers near-enought wasted as you can only augment a power ONCE.

How many warlocks are in that unit exacltly? Since invulnerable saves are only helpful against ordinance and fire if you pass...

I'm afraid this is by far the most appauling eldar force I've seen. Highly unbalanced, capable of killing 5-9 models a turn, and above all, never going to last very long.

Old 10 Dec 2004, 13:46   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I see another Flamewar coming... :

If I see anything I even remotely consider flaming, this topic is locked. This applies to anyone posting here, not just Edwin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Dec 2004, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del the Evil 3Mobile Panda
Quote:
Then this topic should be locked immediatley: thats what army list posts are FOR... but we'll allow a ban on fluff discussion.

Well, let's see... a Fragile force such as Eldar relies on speed and/or firepower. This has neither. All it has is one very sturdy unit, three fairly sturdy's , and a major problem against any force with numbers.

All that needs to happen is volleys of lascannons, krak missiles, stacannons, and the wraithlords are gone.

Heavy bolter fire will tear those gaurdians down in seconds.

8 with augment... thats 4 powers near-enought wasted as you can only augment a power ONCE.

How many warlocks are in that unit exacltly? Since invulnerable saves are only helpful against ordinance and fire if you pass...

I'm afraid this is by far the most appauling eldar force I've seen. Highly unbalanced, capable of killing 5-9 models a turn, and above all, never going to last very long.

Havent worked out how many warlocks I'd get exactly but the idea is these excess warlocks absorb casualtys so that the core of the seer council (15 guys with wichblades, 45 attacks on the charge) can wipe out the unit they are in combat with and move on to the next one pretty quickly. The wrathlords are just plain good and the guardians are there because I have to have them.

I think its effectivness will depend on how many warlocks I get.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 17:08   #5 (permalink)
Aun'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer

If I see anything I even remotely consider flaming, this topic is locked. This applies to anyone posting here, not just Edwin.
Sorry to post off-topic, although how does this even remotely look like a flame war could start?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 17:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to erebus Send a message via MSN to erebus Send a message via Yahoo to erebus

that shows polite upbringing- its his site yet he still apologises for going OT

its effectiveness will depend on fighting a tank heavy small army such as mechanised gaurd or grey knights anything else and your gonna have problems geting VP OR scoring units and you only need 5 augment warlocks cos you cant use 8 unless maybe your keeping them for the next on the list to die after the nothing guys in wich case uhm... your still wasteing the points plus since you seem to be tailoring to fight deamon hunters or which hunters in particular you WILL regrett those 15+ psykers if a calexus gets near them assualt 17+ strength 5 ap 1 is NOT FUN
Old 10 Dec 2004, 17:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus

its effectiveness will depend on fighting a tank heavy small army such as mechanised gaurd or grey knights anything else and your gonna have problems geting VP OR scoring units and you only need 5 augment warlocks cos you cant use 8 unless maybe your keeping them for the next on the list* to die after the nothing guys in wich case uhm... your still wasteing the points plus since you seem to be tailoring to fight deamon hunters or which hunters in particular you WILL regrett those 15+ psykers if a calexus gets near them assualt 17+* strength 5 ap 1 is NOT FUN
I have loads of augment because if one fails (Ld8) another can try.
A cluxus used well would pretty much destroy my army.......
Old 10 Dec 2004, 17:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aegis Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer

Sorry to post off-topic, although how does this even remotely look like a flame war could start?
It could turn into a flame war because, lets face it, these types of threads usually do.

Eddie, I see you getting massacred by mobs...even troop heavy marines would take down this list. It is tailored to finght very few posible lists and most lists will simply have to many models for you to possibly kill. While I inderstand that your seer council is a nasty close combat bunch, with pretty limited mobility they'd have a hard time getting into combat.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 19:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus

its effectiveness will depend on fighting a tank heavy small army such as mechanised gaurd or grey knights anything else and your gonna have problems geting VP OR scoring units and you only need 5 augment warlocks cos you cant use 8 unless maybe your keeping them for the next on the list to die after the nothing guys in wich case uhm... your still wasteing the points plus since you seem to be tailoring to fight deamon hunters or which hunters in particular you WILL regrett those 15+ psykers if a calexus gets near them assualt 17+ strength 5 ap 1 is NOT FUN
I have loads of augment because if one fails (Ld8) another can try.
A cluxus used well would pretty much destroy my army.......
Ah, Insurance! Not something I'd do myself , but probably vital to make mind war pluck lives from 36" inches, and since this army's not got much in ranged combat, It'll need that. after all, 15 witchblades is still pretty bloomin' nasty... or 15 singing spears is even worse if chucked at a vehicle!

I personally reckon you should only need those inital 10 warlocks, and use the spare points from the dropped warlocks on beefing up those gaurdian squads into another squad with possibly a starcannon to add a little more range and lives, or vypers to hit hard.

With a little extra firepower, maybe you'll be able to damage the fore's mean's of killing you from range, while they waste shots on the seer's and lords. Maybe.

Still, try this army out first, and see what you think's needed after a while. Probably more gaurdians... or more concealed gaurdians.
Old 11 Dec 2004, 11:02   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

That army is extremely short ranged Edwin, that's your biggest problem (other things aside). My force (not to brag, I'm just using it as an example) could take down half of your army (probably a lot more) before it even got close, and when it did, it would be too small to take down my units in cc.