Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[2000point Army] Eldar Army #2
Closed Thread
Old 09 Dec 2004, 22:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del
Default [2000point Army] Eldar Army #2

This is a 2000point variant of another list I did, but don't belive I posted, for 1500pts. It got beaten by gaurd but at the expenise of every enemy vehicle. Section total's are there for easy compariosn of area's that were points-heavy

Army
HQ- Farseer with Shiruken Pistol, Singing Spear, Ghosthelm, Guide, Mind War (109 )
Warlock 1-Shiruken Pistol, Witchblade, Conceal, (47- assigned to Defender 1)
Warlock 2-Shiruken Pistol, Singing Spear, Conceal (50 - assigned to Defender 2)
Warlock 3-Shiruken Pistol, Close Combat weapon, Enhance(43 - assigned to Seer )
Warlock 4-Shiruken Pistol, Witchblade, Conceal, (47, def -3, )
Warlock 5-Shiruken Pistol, Witchblade, Conceal, (47- assigned to Storm)

HQ-Avatar (80)
Total- 409

Elites-6 Fire Dragons inc exarch w/fire pike. (131)

Elites- 6 Striking Scorpions Inc. Exarch W/Exarch w/ scorpions claw and Crushing Blow. plasma+haywire grenades for squad. (151)
Total- 282

Troops- 12 Guardian defenders with Bright Lance (146)
Troops- 12 Guardian defenders with Starcannon (146)
Troops- 12 Guardian defenders with Starcannon (146)
Troops- 14 Storm Squad with Plasma and krak grenades, Flamer, Fusion Gun (147)
Troops- 6 Eldar Rangers (114)
Total- 699
Fast Attack- Vyper with 2 Shiruken Cannons (70)
Fast attack- Vyper with EML (70)
Total-140
Heavy Support- Wraithlord with Bright Lance, Flamer, Shiruken Catapult (120)
Heavy Support- Falcon with Scatter Laser, CTM (crystal targeting matrix), spirit stone(175)
Heavy Support- Falcon with Scatter Laser, CTM, spirit stone (175)
Total-470
Total: 2000

Any commentary and suggestions are 100% welcome for this force: especially one's vidicating my newfound love for the Eldar Missile Launcher!
Old 10 Dec 2004, 00:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aegis Guard
Default Re: [2000point Army] Eldar Army #2

Looks like a solid list to take out pretty much any army. I'm a big fan of the EML...AP 4 template, what's not to like! The guardians have plenty of survivability with the conceal plus their sheer number.

I'd like to see holofields on the falcons, you don't want to see them crashing, but I don't know where you'd find the points.

If you have your tactics established in your head I'd like to hear them.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 02:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the Holofield is a better defensive upgrade than the CTM, especially when combined with the Spirit Stone. The CTM does have some cool uses though I think they tend to be 'finesse' uses such as taking a shot from one point before moving 12" and dropping off Fire Dragons to roast another target, for example. It's great if the situation is right, but the Holofield is always useful and cheaper too. I'd swap 'em around in different games, try them out to see which proves more useful to you.

The Vyper with 2 Shuriken Cannons is a pretty smart loadout, it can take full advantage of 4th ed rules to move 12" and still churn out 6 shots a turn. That can be evil against troops or the rear armour of tanks.

Might be an idea to use 'Enhance' on the Storm Guardians. Do they hang back as a counter-attack squad to protect the Guardian Defenders?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Old 10 Dec 2004, 10:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomendil
I think the Holofield is a better defensive upgrade than the CTM, especially when combined with the Spirit Stone. The CTM does have some cool uses though I think they tend to be 'finesse' uses such as taking a shot from one point before moving 12" and dropping off Fire Dragons to roast another target, for example. It's great if the situation is right, but the Holofield is always useful and cheaper too. I'd swap 'em around in different games, try them out to see which proves more useful to you.

The Vyper with 2 Shuriken Cannons is a pretty smart loadout, it can take full advantage of 4th ed rules to move 12" and still churn out 6 shots a turn. That can be evil against troops or the rear armour of tanks.

Might be an idea to use 'Enhance' on the Storm Guardians. Do they hang back as a counter-attack squad to protect the Guardian Defenders?
Well, Holofeilds will be on them next time, if only because they'll make them so much more survivable, but mainly to try them. And the Stormies USUALLY would have enhance, but I was trying them out in a new role: accopanying the avatar to the enemy lines, and to do that, they needed to survive. Since I knew I couldn't count on cover, I went for conceal.

The twin ShuriCan vyper was supposed to be anti-infantry , but so far, has killed 3 gaurdsmen and stunned a chimera... :-[

When the new plastic heavy weapons sprue's are out, not only will I replace the lost canopy of my unpainted vyper, but i'll arm another with an EML.

Tactics are thus: farseer initially guides the bright lance squad, who then move forward and fire. the rest of the army advances with the exception of the rangers, and the 'seer sneaks behind the bright lances, but is still 6" from the rangers. plan is to take out armour with the heavy weapons, then start sniping the infatry with starcannon and sniper fire, before reachign enemy lines and unleashing volleys of (possibly guided in one case) catapult fire.

The vyper's will zoom around, firing at Targets of oppotunity, as will the Falcons after deployment of cargoes/elimination of enemy armour.

Wraitlhord hunt's enemy tanks and walks slowly forward attarcting more missiles that could have been used on the grav tank: and he lasted longer against the IG than someone else's three did, ironically... despite all the lascannons, heavy bolters, and missiles!

Fire Dragon's get up close and personal with touhg tanks, but I'm thinking of droping them for Banshees or more gaurdians.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 17:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aegis Guard

Iwould also consider changing out the wraithlords bright lance for a EML, or if you must, a starcannon. You have a lot of anti-tank possiblity already with the guided brightlance and the pulse laser, not to mention the fire dragons. Andlets face it, you're gonna charge that wraithlord into a bunch of troops that can't hurt it anyway, so you might as well softem 'em up first so you spend less time in combat with one unit and more ime in combat with lots of units.
Old 10 Dec 2004, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

It sounds like a great army and great tactics. If you swap the CTM for a holofield, you could use the points saved to upgrade the shuriken cannon on the vyper into something a bit more infantry killable, either another EMS or (my personal favourite) a starcannon. I'd also agree with Aegis that it would be better to upgrade the bright lance for an EMS or a starcannon

(starcannon + Power armour = "And they shall know no armour save!"