Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

What I expect from the new codex.
Closed Thread
Old 03 Dec 2004, 14:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dairy farm.
Posts: 542
Default What I expect from the new codex.


If I wrote the new codex......

Farseers.

They will be far weaker in CC, a bit like wizzards in warhammer.
However they will have far more devastating psychic powers and more of them, mind war will ony be able to target indipendant characters.
They will also have loads of different runes which will all do different things, think magic items in warhammer.

Avatar.

More attacks, a 3+ save and more points. Pluse immune to heat weapons.

Warp spiders.

Maby a tiny point break.

Scorpions are fine.

Howling banshes will have the 4+inv save in combat like wyches, the idea is they are deadly in combat but hard to get there.

Fire dragons are fine.

Wrathguard are fine.

Rangers will get a toned down version of the dusruption table. But cost more points.

Guardian storm squads are fine.

Dire avengers will get a major point break.

Guardians will stay the same but become mainstay ie if you want 3 banshe squads your gonna have to take 3 guardian squads.

Wave serpants will get a points break.

Guardian jetbikes will get a points break.

Shining spears will get power weapons and a major points break.

Vypers are fine.

Swooping hawks will get a slight point break, sustaind assalt wont let people get infinate attacks!

Falcons are fine.

Fire prisms will get a submission shot like hammer heads.

Wrathlords will be armour 12 all around, but ignore shaken and stunned.

War walkers will get a major point break.

Support weapons are fine but vibros and shaddows will get point breaks.

Dark reapers will get 3+ saves but move as if in difficlt terrain..

Note on weapons:

Shruken catapalts will be assalt range 18.

Shruken cannons rending.

Scatter lasers 6 shots always.

Missile lunchers cheaper.

Now your not always gonna chose starcannons/brightlances are you!

And exharch skills are gonna be made more intresting.

Plus there will be no craftworld eldar codex.
Brother Edwin is offline  
Old 03 Dec 2004, 15:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Paisley, Scotland
Posts: 5,827
Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

Oh good lord... Lovely long post here Eddie, and only a few points I disagree on. Warning, my thread may contain references to my house rule's add-on which is essentially what I would do if I wrote the next Eldar codex...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Edwin

If I wrote the new codex......

Farseers.

They will be far weaker in CC, a bit like wizzards in warhammer.
However they will have far more devastating psychic powers and more of them, mind war will ony be able to target indipendant characters.
They will also have loads of different runes which will all do different things, think magic items in warhammer.
Half with you here, half not. The idea of midn war tageting only Independent's is a bit annoying in a way, and the Farseer is already fairly weak.
However, I agree with the need for more powerful , er, powers.
Quote:
Avatar.

More attacks, a 3+ save and more points. Pluse immune to heat weapons.

Warp spiders.

Maby a tiny point break.
Agree with these mostly, Avatar should be a little better, and 4 attacks will put it back on par with the 'thirster (who will still have more atatcks BTW) but possibly a 4+/4+inv save. I said '160pts, 4/4+save, Str8, T6, A4' but I think I may ahve been told to go for 180 instead. Warpies, yes, a little off the points is in order, especially the exarch dual web spinners since they're now hideously overpriced.
Quote:
Scorpions are fine.

Howling banshes will have the 4+inv save in combat like wyches, the idea is they are deadly in combat but hard to get there.
Right about Scorpie's , and nice idea with the Banshees, but possibly not as standard... maybe an Exarch upgrade that allows the squad to do this?

Quote:
Rangers will get a toned down version of the dusruption table. But cost more points.
If it's an upgrade like a veteran skill, maybe.
Quote:
Dire avengers will get a major point break.
They're currently fine as they are actually, but I gave them the option to take range 18" catapults

Quote:
Guardians will stay the same but become mainstay ie if you want 3 banshe squads your gonna have to take 3 guardian squads.
Undecided with this...
[size=10pt]
Wave serpants will get a points break.[/size]
So long as it's a small one.
Quote:
Guardian jetbikes will get a points break.
Hear Hear! I moved them down to 25pts as standard.
Quote:
Shining spears will get power weapons and a major points break.
Not if they get the Power weapons.

Quote:
Swooping hawks will get a slight point break, sustaind assalt wont let people get infinate attacks!
They're fine as they are just now IMO.

Quote:
Fire prisms will get a submission shot like hammer heads.
They have the next best thing: A longer ranged blast lascannon...
Quote:
Wrathlords will be armour 12 all around, but ignore shaken and stunned.
I say 0-1 (pre detachment!) in 1000pts, 0-2 in 2000pts,no limit in 3000pts
Quote:
War walkers will get a major point break.
Maybe some cheaper weapons...
Quote:
Dark reapers will get 3+ saves but move as if in difficlt terrain..
Sounds kind of... okay. Nice tradeoff for survivability I guess, since if you have to move them...
Note on weapons:
Quote:
Shruken catapalts will be assalt range 18.
Makes them a little too powerful, so only as an upgrade -which I did- that would be +2pts per upgraded catapult.
Quote:
Shruken cannons rending.
And no points change, of course, since it's already a little too expesnive.
Quote:
Scatter lasers 6 shots always.
Nah, they'd need a serious points boost then.
Quote:
Missile lunchers cheaper.
Only a little mind.
Quote:
Now your not always gonna chose starcannons/brightlances are you!
You'd think that...
Quote:
And exharch skills are gonna be made more intresting.
Oh yes... MUCH more interesting. A few little abilities.
Quote:
Plus there will be no craftworld eldar codex.
I like them... so there would still be CWE.

I could repost that, but the only file I have was nopt fixed like the EO topic was...
Farseer_Del is offline  
Old 03 Dec 2004, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dairy farm.
Posts: 542
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

I think all weapons should have strengths and weaknesses.

Shruken cannon:Rending.

Scatter laser:loads of shots(6)

Starcannon:AP2 assalt 3

Brightlance:Anti-tank

Missileluncher:Causes pining and flexable.

With thse changes scatter lasers would cost a tad more and missile lunchers a tad less.
Brother Edwin is offline  
Old 03 Dec 2004, 17:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burtonsville, MD
Posts: 239
Send a message via AIM to Aegis Guard
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

I think they're either going to change catapults or leave 'em be, I think upgrades would make them more complicated but also set a dangerous precedent for upgrades on lots of weapons that would just get annoying.
Avatar definitely needs a boost of some sort. I thought a 2+ save and 5+ Inv would be fair without driving up the point cost too much.
Cannons will definitely get rending, but otherwise I'm pretty ok with the cost and function of Eldar weapons.
Farseers definitely need new powers, maybe a close combat one like veil of time. If they get any worse in close combat they'll spend most of the game running from mean people, screaming like girls.
__________________
The Emperor Protects, I destroy
Aegis Guard is offline  
Old 03 Dec 2004, 19:15   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

Some of your suggestions seem to have no reasonable logic behind them... particularly the Missile Launcher. Almost every race has them, so what's so special about Eldar ones?
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline  
Old 03 Dec 2004, 19:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dairy farm.
Posts: 542
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis Guard
I think they're either going to change catapults or leave 'em be, I think upgrades would make them more complicated but also set a dangerous precedent for upgrades on lots of weapons that would just get annoying.*
Avatar definitely needs a boost of some sort.* I thought a 2+ save and 5+ Inv would be fair without driving up the point cost too much.
Cannons will definitely get rending, but otherwise I'm pretty ok with the cost and function of Eldar weapons.
Farseers definitely need new powers, maybe a close combat one like veil of time.* If they get any worse in close combat they'll spend most of the game running from mean people, screaming like girls.
There not bad, WS 5, I5, always wounds on a 2+. A seer council is even deadlyer.

Quote:
Almost every race has them, so what's so special about Eldar ones?
They cause pinning.
Brother Edwin is offline  
Old 03 Dec 2004, 19:27   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Edwin
Quote:
Almost every race has them, so what's so special about Eldar ones?
They cause pinning.
... Ah, you are refering to Plasma Missiles aren't you? My mistake.
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline  
Old 03 Dec 2004, 21:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,602
Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Edwin

If I wrote the new codex......

Farseers.

They will be far weaker in CC, a bit like wizzards in warhammer.
However they will have far more devastating psychic powers and more of them, mind war will ony be able to target indipendant characters.
They will also have loads of different runes which will all do different things, think magic items in warhammer.

Avatar.

More attacks, a 3+ save and more points. Pluse immune to heat weapons.

Warp spiders.

Maby a tiny point break.

Scorpions are fine.

Howling banshes will have the 4+inv save in combat like wyches, the idea is they are deadly in combat but hard to get there.

Fire dragons are fine.

Wrathguard are fine.

Rangers will get a toned down version of the dusruption table. But cost more points.

Guardian storm squads are fine.

Dire avengers will get a major point break.

Guardians will stay the same but become mainstay ie if you want 3 banshe squads your gonna have to take 3 guardian squads.

Wave serpants will get a points break.

Guardian jetbikes will get a points break.

Shining spears will get power weapons and a major points break.

Vypers are fine.

Swooping hawks will get a slight point break, sustaind assalt wont let people get infinate attacks!

Falcons are fine.

Fire prisms will get a submission shot like hammer heads.

Wrathlords will be armour 12 all around, but ignore shaken and stunned.

War walkers will get a major point break.

Support weapons are fine but vibros and shaddows will get point breaks.

Dark reapers will get 3+ saves but move as if in difficlt terrain..

Note on weapons:

Shruken catapalts will be assalt range 18.

Shruken cannons rending.

Scatter lasers 6 shots always.

Missile lunchers cheaper.

Now your not always gonna chose starcannons/brightlances are you!

And exharch skills are gonna be made more intresting.

Plus there will be no craftworld eldar codex.
Well Well Well, i think i agree with alot of that :
freeman is offline  
Old 05 Dec 2004, 18:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 4,656
Send a message via MSN to Hunter
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

I like the guardian as core choice thing: no more selections from any of Heavy/fast/elites choices than you have guardian squads.

I mean, how many armies do you see witth 3 heavy support or elite, but only two 3 man units of rangers? This revision goes a long way towards balncing most of the armies out there.

You've mentioned the change to the farseer, in order to make him/her less combat oriented, would you care to post an example statline?
I actually quite like using warlocks and seers as assault units, a unit composed purely of warlocks with witchblades would be seriously fun (DoW anyone?)
__________________
Do it for KJ


Hunter is offline  
Old 05 Dec 2004, 18:58   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: On the Midnight Ocean
Posts: 26,404
Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: What I expect from the new codex.

Well the simplest solution is to remove the completely undeserved toughness bonus...
__________________
Farewell, Kangaroo Joe, you shall not be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Codex: Inquistion 5th Edition Discussion - What you expect and what do you fear Zen The Inquisition 161 28 Jun 2009 20:29
Codex: Imperial Guard 5th Edition - What you expect and what do you fear? Zen Imperial Guard 461 27 May 2008 20:54
When can we expect a new codex? FaithTruthWisdom Tau 11 21 May 2008 16:14
What should a Chaos player expect? kingcomrade Craftworld Eldar 2 03 Nov 2006 17:01
XV-81: Support where you didn't expect it. (Updated) orion549 Tau 3 05 Oct 2006 02:22