Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

wraithlords
Closed Thread
Old 01 Dec 2004, 07:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default wraithlords

I don't know about you guys but I'm really sick of people complaining about wraithlords! i mean yes they are good but there not unkillable, and I'm really sick of people saying lords should be issued a restraining order of smt. and having a cry when you have more than one in your army, calling it cheese and telling you to take one out but then they go and kill it on their first turn anyway. that really pisses me off! I mean give us a break we don't go walking around having a cry at your dreds or broadsides do we? sure more than one lord in a small game is fairly tough on your opponent and in the interest of good sportsmanship you probably shouldn't take 3 in a 500 point game.

So anyway i thought i might just let my oppinion be heard so wot do u think?
Old 01 Dec 2004, 07:44   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: wraithlords

The problem is, in terms of damage-absorbtion, one Wraithlord is equvialent to 3 Dreadnoughts.

Wraithlords can take an obscene amount of firepower. Normally, I have to concentrate a significant portion of my army's firepower to knock one out. When playing 1,000pts, it is entirely possible that all my Heavy Weapons will not be enough to kill it. Now, if I fire all my big guns at a Wraithlord, which I fail to kill that turn, I'm not shooting everyone else. If there are two, or three, it just gets horribly unfair.

I'd always say 1 per 1,000pts when working with Wraithlords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Dec 2004, 07:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

but then you have to realise that other races have things that are just as hard to kill, for example a squad of 3 tau crisis suites with shield gens, and 6 shield drones will take an obscene amount of firepower to bring down.
Old 01 Dec 2004, 08:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

no that team is quite fragile, and costs approx 2 lords. I say:
500-999 = 1
1000-1999 = 2
2000+ = 3

Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 01 Dec 2004, 09:12   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Plenty of weapons can take down a Wraithlord, Plasma weapons, Melta weapons, Ordnance, Lascannons, Auto Cannons, Powerfists, Witch Blades, Force Weapons etc
While I agree that more than 1 per 1000 pts is getting cheeky, I do think they're grossly overrated (by both Eldar and Non-Eldar players alike).*
And WG, all your heavy weapons? Could you write me a list of every heavy weapon in your army please. I've lost a Wraithlord to a Scouts Heavy Bolter before, to a Lascannon and Missile Launchers, and even to an Assault Marines Plasma Pistol. All on seperate occasions.
Old 01 Dec 2004, 09:53   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well my compliment changes every game, but a Marine army I'm fond of has the following:

4x Sniper Rifles.
1x Missile Launcher.
1x Assault Cannon.
1x Heavy Flamer.
2x Plasmaguns.
1x Combi-Plasma.

That's my 1,000pt heavy weapon compliment. Admittedly, it can be more, but that's an example.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 01 Dec 2004, 15:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman
I don't know about you guys but I'm really sick of people complaining about wraithlords! i mean yes they are good but there not unkillable, and I'm really sick of people saying lords should be issued a restraining order of smt. and having a cry when you have more than one in your army, calling it cheese and telling you to take one out but then they go and kill it on their first turn anyway. that really pisses me off! I mean give us a break we don't go walking around having a cry at your dreds or broadsides do we? sure more than one lord in a small game is fairly tough on your opponent and in the interest of good sportsmanship you probably shouldn't take 3 in a 500 point game.

So anyway i thought i might just let my oppinion be heard so wot do u think?
I think wrathlords should be given a armour valve but ignore crew shaken and stunned results. Armour 12 all around.
Old 01 Dec 2004, 15:34   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

No, armour wouldn't suit them. After all, they are more akin to the living than to "machines" in the conventional sense.

Quote:
Old 01 Dec 2004, 16:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I go into every game fully believing that i will win no matter what im facing and no matter what list i am using.

But the sight of two wraithlords do worry me, particularly in 1000 point games.

The weapons i have to deal with them in my 1000point force is 1 EML, 2 BL's. Now it is really hard to kill them with those despite the fact that in every game they have been adequete enough to deal with enemy armoured threats.

I have 1 WL in my thousand point force and yes this usually dies whic leaveds my seer council and avatar combo to try and take down opposing WL's.

I had one game when my WL died to a starcannon in the first turn(1 stacannon), of course this can happen butthey are very tough and i really dont think two should be allowed in 1000 point games.

I have never lost with my eldar but come very close when fighting against 2 WL's in a 1000 point match. Now ive played pretty much every army going commanded by people both better and worse gamers than the commander of the force with 2 WL's yet i had a much, much harder game against that army with my regular balanced force(i take it in nearly every game, i dont gear), this should say something about the unfair advantage that these give with their effectiveness.
Old 01 Dec 2004, 17:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
I go into every game fully believing that i will win no matter what im facing and no matter what list i am using.

But the sight of two wraithlords do worry me, particularly in 1000 point games.

The weapons i have to deal with them in my 1000point force is 1 EML, 2 BL's. Now it is really hard to kill them with those despite the fact that in every game they have been adequete enough to deal with enemy armoured threats.

I have 1 WL in my thousand point force and yes this usually dies whic leaveds my seer council and avatar combo to try and take down opposing WL's.

I had one game when my WL died to a starcannon in the first turn(1 stacannon), of course this can happen butthey are very tough and i really dont think two should be allowed in 1000 point games.

I have never lost with my eldar but come very close when fighting against 2 WL's in a 1000 point match. Now ive played pretty much every army going commanded by people both better and worse gamers than the commander of the force with 2 WL's yet i had a much, much harder game against that army with my regular balanced force(i take it in nearly every game, i dont gear), this should say something about the unfair advantage that these give with their effectiveness.
Hence the reason I only ever play 1500pts.
Closed Thread