Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ulthwe Strike Force!
Closed Thread
Old 16 Feb 2006, 00:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Ulthwe Strike Force!

I wanted to know if war walkers are actually worth taking. Also played this list 3 times and won 3/2 times. They do poorly in games that you get shot at. But the guardians have a bs4 and the star cannon shots are more accurate. Also the Vypers are bs4 which make thier shots alot more acurate. Also the bonus of fielding Mugan Ra is cool as well without permission. But I wanted to know is it a waste of my time to start on this list or not. It can ealsy become a shooting army with guardians with star cannons. They only thing that bites well 2 things if they run they gone and the portals cost 50pts a pop. I usally have 3 portals but that's 150pts less I'm using on the board. Also I have problems with heavy armor as well. I forgot what's a bright lance. But my seer concil can pop vehicles though. And my Avatar as well.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Mr. Scolz
Default Re: Ulthwe Strike Force!

Okay, from the top.Personally,i find that war walkers are pretty crap unless they are gonna take minimal fire from the enemy or have something to hide behind before they leap out and shoot the hell out of stuff(they're quite handy for skimmer tannage in Cityfight).Black Guardians are always handy,as are Vypers if used correctly.Generally, I find Maugan Ra a waste of points just for a couple better shots,as the Exarch with Missile Launcher and Fast Shot gets 2 2+ to hit and wound rolls at S8 AP3(he also makes an ideal tankbuster).I usually take a more close-combat orientated Pheonix Lord;Asurmen works best with a full Dire Avenger group(brilliant technical fighters).Sorry,I can't help with the portals,I never use them myself :-\.Bright lances are S8 AP2 Assualt 1,and are perfect for tanks as their Lance rule brings all Armour Values over 12 down to 12 ^-^.Make sure you keep the Council and Avatar,though. Hope this helps ;D

Jesus Saves.The rest of you take 2d10 damage.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 09:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Only to comment on the warwalkers, I find them most effective, especially if you can somehow guide them. If you are against lightly armored foes the plasma missiles can really be annoying. Dark Eldar and Guardsmen hates them passionately, and starcannons work wonders for the heavier troops. If you guide a few missiles you should hit some 3 missiles a turn if you have 2 war walkers. Dont forget they pin down the enemy!! I wouldnt bother equipping them with anything besides starcannons or EML's though! They can lay down a serious hail of fire and if you can shield them with something else, like a closing Wraithlord, you will normally get a decent amount of shots out of them!

Note that they got the range to shoot way out of opponents reach, and they can move and fire too! EML has range 48"... So if you use them correctly, only fast moving targets should be able to get within range of them!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey guys,

Just a quick head's up- it's tough for us to read/answer questions when we've got em all crammed into one paragraph full of run-on sentences. Let's break up our questions so they can be better read/addressed. Thanks!

I wanted to address one part of the post:

Quote:
Also I have problems with heavy armor as well.
USF has a lot of ways of dealing with armor. Besides your Avatar, Seer Council, and Vehicles, consider taking some stormies with Haywire grenades and fusion guns. Coming from the portal they should be able to tear right through heavy armor.

Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Kiirnodel Send a message via MSN to Kiirnodel

On the subject of the War Walker:

I've seen three War Walkers, each with two scatter lasers, fight imperial guard. That was so fun to watch.

I'd rather use other troops over the War Walker [I like using 0-2 Falcon, 0-1 Wraithlord and 0-1 Dark Reaper Squad, Usually relying on the Falcon]

What gets BS upgrades for USF? I've never read the codex, and you said Vypers get the upgrade which is awesome.

Biel-Tan Swordwind Player
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The whole army gets the BS4 upgrade. Additonally, they are not allowed to take Falcons, Wave Serpents, Wraithlords...
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel of Iyanden
The whole army gets the BS4 upgrade. Additonally, they are not allowed to take Falcons, Wave Serpents, Wraithlords...
Almost, but not the Storm Guardians (which get WS instead), Rangers, Seer Councils, Aspect Warriors, etc...

All Guardian-crewed units gain the added BS - Defenders, Jetbikes, Vypers, Support Weapons, and War Walkers - the obvious downside is that you cannot take vehicles other than those listed, or Wraithlords.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Kiirnodel Send a message via MSN to Kiirnodel

Ah thanks. Just what I wanted to know. I'm not an Ulthwe player, but that seems pretty cool [I really love the Falcon and Wave Serpent, not sure I could give those up. ]

Biel-Tan Swordwind Player
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ao problem . It only applies to the Ulthwe Strike Force - the normal Ulthwe list is less restrictive, but conversely you only get the stat upgrades on Guardian infantry (and Jetbikes?), but not vehicles.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae
Ao problem . It only applies to the Ulthwe Strike Force - the normal Ulthwe list is less restrictive, but conversely you only get the stat upgrades on Guardian infantry (and Jetbikes?), but not vehicles.
On the standard Ulthwe' list you don't get the upgrades on jetbikes, as they can't be taken as compulsory. On USF though, I believe they get the bonus.

*drools*

That's a pretty nice squad there, maybe 4-6 jetbikes with an Embolden warlock, a shuricannon, to drop off the warpgate.