Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A bug question.
Closed Thread
Old 02 Nov 2005, 16:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default A bug question.

I was playing around with an Iyanden list the other day and had a rare occurrence with this particular craftworld:

Points available.

The core force was 2 Wraithguard units (1 in a Wave Serpent), 2 Wraithlords, A Farseer, and a Falcon. I still had points to play with even after fielding my normal Scorpion unit (Exarch, Claw, infiltrate) I had enough points left over to fill the squad out to 10 (nice option, but I'd have to repaint some models to make them match), or add a Vyper or Shadowweaver for some indirect fire.

Or...I could go with Warp Spiders, and forego using the Scorpions this time out.

Warp Spiders would give me more tactical flexibility, some sorely needed basic weapons firepower, and the ability to run draw plays (using the Withdraw power on the Exarch). However I lose my close combat prowess (not to mention a buried powerfist), and would be forced to rely on my slowly advancing Wraithlords to provide that close combat "oomph" I enjoy versus most opponents.

What do you think? Scorpions or Spiders?
Old 02 Nov 2005, 16:22   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: A bug question.

I'd go with Scorpions, but that's just personal choice.
I say change the unit depending on the mission, as different situations will call for differnt units.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would take the spiders, they can blow up vehicles, kill a few marines, and fire loads of fire onto hordes. The scorps would give you superior performance against marines and can possibly match the horde killing abilities, but would not be able to take out light vehicles anywhere as effective as the spiders. For this reason i would prefer the spiders. However, my opinion might be skewed as in my gaming group almost every army played is almost completely mechanized. I also figure marine killing ability is something concentrated wraithguard shooting power should do for you, and starcannons of course, the spiders will give you a nice thorn in his side element. I would not give them the withdraw power though , its been my experience that its simply not worth it, i never want my spiders in CC. If your worried about not being CC capable its OK as long as you can get away from the enemy :P, i mean look at mechanized tau lists.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I actually like the withdraw power, as it tends to work very well with Iyanden.

I give the Exarch powerblades, and use this unit to harass enemy CC units that have tooled up characters in them. I then march up my wraithguard and wraithlords, and by turn 2-3 the opponent has reached my spider line. Withdraw gets them out of the way for those expensive combat units to be staring down a lot of wraithcannon and a wraithlord or two- a very nasty trick against power assault units.

Like you said, Spiders would also give me some tankbusting power, and while I already have that with my wraithguard (and nearly every other unit I'm fielding) spiders can make it to those hard to reach areas of the field and catpure objectives more easily than Scorpions.

This list is for a tournament, so I have no option to change units between battles.
Old 02 Nov 2005, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

I find Warp Spiders to be a more flexible unit for Eldar then Striking Scorpions. Giving the Warp Spider Exarch Surprise Assault and Withdraw can reak havoc against almost anything. Simply charge into them (giving each regular spider 3 attacks and the Exarch 4 (if he as powerblades), fight the second round of close combat and at the end of that assualt phase, withdraw back, then assault forward again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Old 02 Nov 2005, 21:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Surprise Assault + Powerblades gives the Exarch 5 attacks on the charge, doesn't it?

Withdraw is wonderful if you're toting wraithcannon just behind the squad. Most opponents with expensive characters or dreadnoughts won't go anywhere near wraithcannons, but if they think they're safe charging that forward Warp Spider unit- look out!

Old 02 Nov 2005, 21:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

i like your use of th warpspiders with withdraw, interesting and definitely seems infinitely useful in the hands of inyanden craftworld. My Vote = spiders!. >
Old 02 Nov 2005, 21:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel of Iyanden
Surprise Assault + Powerblades gives the Exarch 5 attacks on the charge, doesn't it?
Yeah. It does. I miscounted the number of attacks the Exarch originally got. I like your idea of hiding the Wraithguard behind them.I'll have to remember that. That could leave the Spiders to hunt other people down, or Rapid Fire with there weapons, then move 6" in the assault phase.

As you can tell. My vote goes to Spiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Old 02 Nov 2005, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It works even better with Firedragons, but wraithguard work fairly well too.

I normally use Scorpions for smaller games, because I'm looking to get stuck in combat, and the Scorpions are better at a stand up fight than the Spiders are. I will miss those mandiblaster hits, that for sure.

But in a tourney I think the Spiders might give me more balance. Iyanden is notoriously slow (for Eldar armies) and short ranged. The Spiders will function like a Tau Stealth team for the first few turns, buying me enough time to get the rest of my units where I need them.

When I play Biel-Tan, it's similar except I use Scorpions and Spiders as a team. Life is just so much better for an Eldar player who is coordinating attacks with multiple units!
Old 02 Nov 2005, 22:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Indeed, nothing can be better that laying a hail for fire dragons shots on a 10 man marine unit ,and then sending in some scorps to mop up fthe 4 marines left.
Closed Thread