Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar 1500pt army - No Aspect Warriors!
Closed Thread
Old 25 Oct 2005, 13:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Eldar 1500pt army - No Aspect Warriors!

I fancy a break from my Tau after the UKGT, and want to play with this list until i start preparing for the finals in May. The biggest thing about this list is that there are NO ASPECT warriors at all!

HQ

Farseer + Guide, S.Spear and jetbike - 118

Farseer + Guide, S.Spear and jetbike - 118

Troops

5* Storm Gaurdians inc 2 flamers +
Warlock - CCW + Pistol + Destructor - 74

5* Storm Gaurdians inc 2 flamers +
Warlock - CCW + Pistol + Destructor - 74

9* Gaurdian Defenders + Warlock - CCW, Pistol + Destructor - 100
In
Wave Serpent - M.Launcher + CTM - 160

9* Gaurdian Defenders + Warlock - CCW, Pistol + Destructor - 100
In
Wave Serpent - Star Cannon + CTM - 155

Fast Attack

Vyper - twin shuricannons - 70

Heavy Support

Fire Prism + S.Stone + Holofield - 150

Falcon + Star Cannon + Holofield + S.Stone - 190

Falcon + Star Cannon + Holofield + S.Stone - 190

What's the verdict?
Old 25 Oct 2005, 15:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Eldar 1500pt army - No Aspect Warriors!

It looks a little like a Tau army! ;D

You have two commanders in Crisis suits, no that's jetbikes, with marker lights, no, I mean Guide.

There's two Fire warrior squads in Fishes, only they're Guardians in Serpents.

There's two little squads of Stormies. I presume you plan on mounting these in the Falcons and deploying the destructor template goodness up close and personal?

Then there's an odd cheap Vyper, not bad as an harassment unit. St 6 makes a good flank attack weapon.

Do you run three Hammerheads in your Tau list? 'Cause I see three tough skimmer tanks here, one with a template weapon, the two other with Ion, no, Star Cannons...

I think I like it... but it's eerie, somehow, how you have stuck to your paradigm so to speak. It looks so much like a Mech Tau army somehow. I would really like to hear how it works, as it is a rather unusual list.

I think maybe the Storm squads might be fragile, you would have to deploy very close up to the enemy and hope to wipe out whatever you are aiming for. However, if combined with Guided fire support and working in tandem with Serpent mounted aggressively deployed Defenders, it might work. How interesting to see the team work tactics of Mech Tau and the Eldar merge in this way. I like it the more I think about it. You really plan to be aggressive and hit them one at a time with a hail of shuricat fire, flamer and psychic destruction, don't you?

I am uncertain about the Fire Prism. It is an unreliable weapon, but with guide it might do some good. But if you are going to have three skimmer tanks, you might as well go with another Falcon, IMHO. Also, you might want some Bright Lances instead of all that Star cannon fire. A Falcon with Pulse Laser and Bright Lance is an excellent tank killer, as well as having just enough weight of fire to be a threat to heavy infantry squads.

I final, I like the list overall and encourage you to try it and experiment with it. However, if you wanted a break from your Tau, and if your regular force is a Mech Tau (which I admittedly don't know if it is), won't you feel you would just be doing the same thing? Maybe I am wrong on this. Maybe your objective is to see if Mech Tau principles can be used with another list. I am looking forward to see what happens.

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 25 Oct 2005, 16:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It is scarily similar. The principle is a good one though. Yes i do normally run 3 HHs O0

I've got antitank in the form of prism cannon, m.launcher, S6 side shots from the vyper, and 2 JSJ BS5 singing spears. At a push i could also use pulsars but i'd rather save these for heavy infantry. I've also got tons of light/medium anti-infantry weapons in the form of flamer squads of doom and shuricats.

Bright lances are no good on Falcons because you can then only fire 1 weapon, as they're both above S6.

I did think about another falcon but that'd be breaching the boundaries of cheese city! Plus i like the range. A guided fire prism is actually more acurate than a BS 4 vehicle.

Just have to hope i don't run into too many psycic hoods!

There are a few differences between the two. FWs can deploy dismounted and are very useful, they also have very good ways of staying beyond the enemies range and pummelling them. It's also easier to isolate units with Tau, with stealth fields and jetpacks. They're also generally better armoured, which makes a big difference in survivability.

Eldar on the other hand are soooo fast and have some really handy special weapons in the form of heavy weapons mounted on transports and warlocks with their S5 template of doom.

I should be trying it out at some point this week, so i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

This list seems to fit a set of tactics you are very comfortable with. If that's the case- then give it a test run or two and see if it performs to your liking.

One thing that concerns me with this list is I don't see any real "Kroot" equivalent here. Especially with the Eldar- you get some fierce close combat and good countercharge, but I suppose that's the sacrifice you make when not taking any Aspects. The Stormies seem pretty good for horde control, but I honestly think they're too small to be reliable or hang out long enough to contribute.

Anyway- I'm very interested in seeing what a Tau-minded player does with the Eldar list!
Old 25 Oct 2005, 20:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
I've got antitank in the form of prism cannon, m.launcher, S6 side shots from the vyper, and 2 JSJ BS5 singing spears. At a push i could also use pulsars but i'd rather save these for heavy infantry. I've also got tons of light/medium anti-infantry weapons in the form of flamer squads of doom and shuricats.
OK, you have at least considered your options and make a good case. Those Star Cannons will make the Marines shiver in their ceram-steel boots, so why not, if you think you've got the AT covered.

Quote:
Bright lances are no good on Falcons because you can then only fire 1 weapon, as they're both above S6.
But of course. Slipped my mind.

The Eldar have got lighter armour, yes. Fighting with this army might become very explosive and hectic. Which is admittedly fun. Atta boy! Jump at them and pummel them before they know what hit them. Looking forward to hearing all about it. 8)

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 26 Oct 2005, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

This is the kind of list my brother should use. He started building his Eldar force in a very shooty way rather mimicking my Tau but the first assault unit to hit him destroyed his guardians because he lacked mobility in the form of any transports. Id love to see how this list plays. Eldar and Tau have some glaring similarities and many of their tactics can be transfered from one to the other. The two skimmer armies can work well in tandem. The first Biel Tann player to see this would probably have a heart attack though.

Old 30 Oct 2005, 00:16   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The only army I can really see you having trouble against is an Ork Horde.

Nice list - there isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said (sorry I've been busy recently :-\) but I would like to know how this unusual list works for you...

Old 30 Oct 2005, 08:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

you should be slapped for not taking aspect warriors in an eldar army but you&#39;ve done well anyway.
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 30 Oct 2005, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Restayvien
Really? One of the things i like most about this army is the fact that it can nail practically anything. 3 Flamer templates of doom into an ork hoard followed by a massive shuriken volley then a plasma missile to pin the buggers in place, should be nice.

I&#39;ll not be able to try this army out for at least a week as i&#39;m away on business, when i do though, i&#39;ll let you all know how it went. O0
Old 30 Oct 2005, 09:37   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompzilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Restayvien
Really? One of the things i like most about this army is the fact that it can nail practically anything. 3 Flamer templates of doom into an ork hoard followed by a massive shuriken volley then a plasma missile to pin the buggers in place, should be nice.

I&#39;ll not be able to try this army out for at least a week as i&#39;m away on business, when i do though, i&#39;ll let you all know how it went. O0
Yeah, but the amount of fire power they can throw out would decimate your small squads easily, and it would be very hard to complete most missions without troops.
Shooting at them just doesn&#39;t dwindle their firepower quiclky enough, and unlike the Tau, you cannot use combat to wipe them off the board!