Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Brotherhood of Steel?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 13:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Brotherhood of Steel?

Now, I am strictly a Tau player, but after playing the crap out of Fallout 3 I had an idea. It would be quite interesting if me or someone else could use plasticard and green stuff to convert Space Marines into noble members of the Brotherhood of Steel. Their armor wouldn't be that difficult, but the weapons are a different story. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this?
OrthrusDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 13:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler
Default Re: Brotherhood of Steel?

"Noble"? XD

All that piping is going to be difficult, I think.

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:21   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well, more noble that the Enclave anyway haha. Yeah the tubes and whatnot would be rather hard. I think that a pulse carbine would make a good laser rifle with some filing and green stuff. Mixing straws may work for the pipes though.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My brother is sculpting one at the moment Ill get him to post up when its done.
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2009, 16:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd imagine to make a Brotherhood of Steel themed army the most important aspects wouldn't really require a lot of plasticard but a little creativity with green stuff and a paint job.

First remember the themes of the BoS: the worship of technology. For the quick overview of anyone who's not familiar with the lore of it which explains the look remember that they view technology as divine, humanity's symbol of superiority and hold it sacred. Another way to think of it (which Bethesda did for Fallout 3) is to realize the ways in which we worship technology today. Things such as how people en masse are slaves to the newest mobile phones despite the fact their current ones are fine, we're all plugged into the Internet looking for the "next Big Thing" despite the fact that we've got plenty to work through right now, and we're always wanting everything faster, more powerful, more portable, and easier regardless of the jobs currently served.

Keeping all that in mind making a BoS-themed army is going to be one of brilliant decay. Things like a lot of washes to make the armor seem older but "polished" in areas, more of a patchwork of lovingly restored but still "could be better" armor. For weaponry you can do the same thing with paint but consider adding AND REMOVING various little bits such as a drum-feed on a few of the bolters from the Shootaz (Orks). You can also make a few of the backpacks blockier or remove a vent or two. Personally I'd have any and all weaponry you could possibly justify have a few greenstuffed tubes leading back to the backpack (things like Flamers and Plasmaguns for a must, others at your leisure) to make it seem less refined/portable and more "barely functional."

The higher-in-station members of the army should have the 'best' stuff which should look equally impressive. Instead of having things "tacked-on" like in Warhammer 40,000 style think more smooth, sleek, streamlined equipment that's been polished, cared-for, and obviously very high tech. You'll be trading in a lot of the gothic look for more of a 60's and 70's retro sci-fi look with smooth curves on their weapons and gleaming armor with some scratches and scrapes.

Also, don't forget whenever possible since it's themed but not exact of course to add in little electronic doodads that glow, have lots of little keypads and buttons and such. If you feel up to it on the vehicles and so forth see if you can add some little knobs and switches (DEFINITELY switches).

That's a few ideas to get you going, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2009, 04:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthrusDrummer
Now, I am strictly a Tau player, but after playing the klkn out of Fallout 3 I had an idea. It would be quite interesting if me or someone else could use plasticard and green stuff to convert Space Marines into noble members of the Brotherhood of Steel. Their armor wouldn't be that difficult, but the weapons are a different story. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this?
I love Fallout 3 too, and I noticed that the Crusader packed in the Witchhunter Inquisitor + Henchmen box looks just like a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...Id=prod1110149

Well, it's been a while since I saw the actual model, but the concept art in the Codex looks just like BoS armour.
Foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2009, 09:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Guitar strings for pipes.

No shoulder pads (IIRC) and yea carbines for las rifles...
Old 22 Sep 2009, 13:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

And go for an outcast look :P they have cooler armour in my opinion and are pretty much the exact same
Old 22 Sep 2009, 19:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thantos
My brother is sculpting one at the moment Ill get him to post up when its done.
indeed i am! .
Well you know what they say Orthrus, great minds think alike ;D
Actually i never thought about the carbine...might give that a try ^-^
good luck with the conversion!
bizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2009, 02:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for all of the input guys! I'm quite excited to get this project underway, and its always nice to pick up tips. Once I get a couple squads made, I may start on some Enclave troops, as well as some Ghouls.