Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Magnetised Weapons (Swappable) Weapons on the Valkyrie! [Done!/Pic heavy!]
Old 18 May 2009, 13:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Magnetised Weapons (Swappable) Weapons on the Valkyrie! [Done!/Pic heavy!]

Although I haven't really been doing much in 40k in terms of gaming/hobby.. well everything - I have been keeping up with White Dwarf and new releases and couldn't resist the temptation of shiny new guard releases!

So after a bit of a splurge/online order a while back I now have the IG Codex, a Sentinel, and a Valkyrie.

My desk is currently covered in Valkryrie bits and smells very much of plastic glue. For those who remember me, I tend to like magnetising large vehicles etc particularly when I don't intend on purchasing multiples just to have different weapon configurations (XV8s I don't mind so much.. they're fun to pose).

Now since I can't decide on a weapon outfit for my Valkyrie, I'm going to build it such that the weapons are interchangeable. So far I've built the hull itself with the top removeable so I can paint the inside, and just need to add little bits and pieces onto it.

[size=larger]Part 1: Front Weapon[/size]
Now the Valkyrie has two options for the front weapon - either a Lascannon or Multi-laser. A picture would explain better:

What I've done is embed a rare earth magnet (3mm dia x 1.5mm height) in a sprue cutoff and glue that into the mounting piece; and drill some holes into the back of the weapons and insert a small diameter (and short length) screw.

It fits together, like so:

The mounting piece then goes on the side of the hull/cockpit section as usual and viola, interchangeable front weapons =)

[size=larger]Part 2: Wing-mounted Missiles[/size]
For the wing mounted weapons, you have a choice of sticking to the standard Hellstrike missiles, or replacing them with multiple rocket pods.

[18/05/09] I haven't gotten this far yet!

But my plan is, to insert a rare earth magnet (hopefully one is enough) into the mount, and then adhere a section of a paperclip onto the edge of the hellstrike missile/multiple rocket pod where it would normally be glued to the mount.

[23/05/09] Done! More or less went to plan...

Firstly - tools used in this section that have made my life so much easier...:
  • Pin vice - with 1mm drill bit
  • Hobby saw
  • Model vice
  • Appropriately sized drill bits - 3mm one for my magnets
  • Paper clips!
  • Super glue
  • 2x Rare Earth Magnets - the ones I've used are 3mm (dia) x 1.5mm (height)

I started off by modifying the mount that the hellstrike missile/rocket pod attaches to. Originally I wanted to embed the magnet in it with minimal change to the aesthetic of the mount.. but that seemed to hard so I pulled out my saw and cut a section away from the middle of it. I figured that if I tried to drill straight down, then chances were it that it would probably ruin the middle section anyway, since the 3mm drill bit was almost as wide as the mount itself.

So I made two cuts into it:

And then using a trusty pair of pliers, just snapped the middle section off and filed it down.

Next it's just a matter of drilling a small hole, only just deep enough to fit the magnet in so it doesn't stick out too far.

For attaching the Hellstrike missiles, I just cut a length of a paper clip and stuck it to the fin:

For the rocket pods, I cut a length of a paper clip and bent it to almost the same size and shape as a small staple. It's smaller than the weapon mount so that it is out of view when attached:

Note, there is a small gap between the pod and the paper clip, this is so that it can attach to the magnet. I used the already magnetised mounts as a reference point (i.e. glued the paper clip in place whilst it was stuck to the magnet so as to get an almost perfect fit).

And that's all the weapons done!

Now for the almost completed Valkyrie, with swappable weapons:

Overall I'm happy with how this went, and I've only used 3 magnets overall too =)

Now, this will make it much easier to build a Vendetta Gunship, I would just need to make a twin-linked lascannon for the front cockpit weapon, and under-wing mounted twin-linked lascannons. They might be a tad heavy for my magnets though.

[size=larger]For converting to a Vendetta, see this thread by Aunny - Valkyrie to Vendetta Simple Conversion[/size]

[size=larger]Part 3: Bonus Part? The Sentinel[/size]
I'm also contemplating on how to go about switching weapons on the Sentinel. Probably a similar method to the front weapons - a screw or nut on the weapon and a single magnet on the body of the sentinel. Useful since I have very few magnets left now...
Old 18 May 2009, 17:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Magnetised Weapons (Swappable) Weapons on the Valkyrie! [50% Done]

brilliant idea, would love to see how it turns out. should also help me for if i ever get some form of SM tank
lolzoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 09:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Alright! I bought some paper clips. But the missile pods don't actually have a 'fin' on them that attaches into the mount, so I might make a fin out of a paper clip. Might do that later tonight or later in the week (hah, the above is a result of heavy procrastination on my part, should be doing a computing project instead).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzoar
brilliant idea, would love to see how it turns out. should also help me for if i ever get some form of SM tank
Hmm, I'm not too sure how it would apply to SM tanks..

Rhino Chassis:
- Converting to razorback is easy, just don't glue the top hatch section in - so that you can swap between the normal top hatch, and the top plate with mounted weapon.
- Predator - same thing with the top, but also need to modify the side doors to be removable so they can be swapped with side sponsons.
- Same thing as razorback with the whirlwind
- Vindicator will need to be built as one, can't easily convert it to Rhino and back.
Old 20 May 2009, 09:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: In The Eye of Terror, stuck under the Contact Lens of Dread

I magnetised the lascannon/ multilaser and the wing weapons on my Inq Valkyrie. I did the nose weapons in a very similar way, although I used magnets on both pieces instead of screws. Screws are a good idea, though - adjustable.

Nose weapon:-

Wing weapons. The white plastic rings are there to keep the magnets in place, since the missile pod itself is not thick enough to drill into without going right through it. So I filed the surface flat, glued the magnets down and then cut some rings out of Plastruct stock that fit around the magnets and help to hold them in place just that little bit more:-

There are corresponding magnets on the wings. I drilled holes into the weapon-supporting fin and glued the magnets in there, like so:-

The completed model (beside a nice cup of tea). On the base are the first two of my plastic Stormtroopers that will ride in this baby:-

I also put a magnet in the ceiling of the interior, so I could mount a light:-

and here is how I made the light:-

Sholto
Old 20 May 2009, 09:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh yay, I'm not the only one with a Valkyrie!

Regarding magnets - yeah I'm being povo - I have a very small number of rare earth magnets left and am going to have a hard time obtaining more. When I magnetised my Tau tanks - I was using.. 5 per tank, which was unnecessary in my opinion, since they are pretty powerful magnets!

I haven't gotten around to the wings yet, but I only want to use.. one magnet per wing...

The light is a very cool idea though, I like! =)
Old 20 May 2009, 15:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

by using for SM tanks, i just meant the magnetising techniques in general
lolzoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 17:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

Sholto, just a note, you should consider adding a resistor to your LEDs. The way you have them wired will work, but you risk burning them out.
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 22:14   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: In The Eye of Terror, stuck under the Contact Lens of Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKZer0
Sholto, just a note, you should consider adding a resistor to your LEDs. The way you have them wired will work, but you risk burning them out.
Nah - it's okay. I know the circuit is not optimal (LEDs are 2.6 forward v and the battery is 3v), but the LEDs are cheap and, as you have seen, they are only on show for a few minutes. They don't usually stay on the whole game. I have all sorts of resistors and so on lying around (I make headphone amps out of mint tins), but the idea was to make the absolutely simplest form of light, without any wires, resistors, switches, soldering etc, and I think I have accomplished that. It even sticks to the magnet

Sholto
Old 23 May 2009, 15:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Magnetised Weapons (Swappable) Weapons on the Valkyrie! [Done!/Pic heavy!]

I'm done! Updated my post with Part 2.

Pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
Now for the almost completed Valkyrie, with swappable weapons:

Old 27 May 2009, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Magnetised Weapons (Swappable) Weapons on the Valkyrie! [Done!/Pic heavy!]

that looks great