Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Converting plastic cadians to Death Korps
Old 05 Nov 2007, 19:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Converting plastic cadians to Death Korps

Does anyone have any experience with this? I like the DK models but their just so expensive and it would be cheaper to convert the Cadian models.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Converting plastic cadians to Death Korps

i have no clue,add gas masks i guess. but i rather see converted Steel Legion into death korps
Old 06 Nov 2007, 17:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I almost did this so I'll share the things that came to mind when I was seeing if it was a viable option.

Regardless of how expensive DKoK are you can't cheap out on the command units, they're just too amazing. The infantry squads are really the only outrageously priced DKoK unit, the others are only slightly more than standard GW IG sets. You can make a cheaper, but still nice looking, army by substituting out the masses of infantry squads but use DKoK models for most other things, at the minimum the command units.

So how do you go about making quick and easy DKoK infantry from the Cadian box? Well, there are several ways depending on your level of modeling skill. If you have any greenstuff skill you should make greatcoats for the troops. Simply add length top the cadian's jackets. You achieve this look fairly easily and it will get easier with practice. Second is replacement heads. I recommend the Pig Iron Productions head sprues as I have personally used them for my IG army. They are very cheap and can be found at Rattlehead Games or the War Store. I recommend using the Kolony Militia heads:

If you want to get really intricate you can model tubes from guitar wire coming from the masks to the filter device they have on their torsos. So it's very possible to make Cadians into DKoK with a little work.

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Great Cadavar I'll do exactly that ;D. I am planning on getting pretty much everything from Forge world except the infantry.
Old 06 Nov 2007, 19:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++Really, there is no way apart from getting the real thing. You might be able to do them with steel legion models, but they won`t quite have the same look.+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 22:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

of course it wont be the same, but you'll definitely get the DKoK look on the cheap.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 22:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

A similar suggestion was made on 40k Online some time ago and I knocked this up just to give a demonstration on how it could be potentially done.

Its very rough but could easily be improved upon, basicly the boots are raised, and the lower tunic extended to form a coat. Gloves are added just as extensions of the hands and the shoulder pads removed, then a gas mask can be added (the control on the chest being just part of a vox in this case). The helmet is streamlined, all the extra bits removed, and goggles added. The thing is the helmet would be hell to alter so its something similar (as I'll admit the effect is more Steel Legion) or source other heads - Pig Iron would be worth looking at.

EDIT: Poor choice of words.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 23:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, Right, Gravis... "I knocked up this in five minutes". Who else does major greenstuff work on a model in 5 minutes? And has it come out pretty damn well?
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2007, 23:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

lol put it this way, it has no back, which kinda shows on the boots, to do the job properly would take time for anyone, myself included.

That said it really is'nt as hard as you'd maybe think to do this sorta work though, the coat has no creases to do so you basicly just need to get a smooth finish with a flat, wet metal or rubber tool, likewise the gloves, shoulders and boots. The gas mask is the trickiest bit, but those Pig Iron heads remove all need for such work anyway.

[img width=650 height=30]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/awards.jpg[/img]
Col.Gravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 09:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not too fussy, just as long as its not standard Cadians and they have some sort of full face gear thats good for me! I don't have that much money because I still get my money as pocket money from my parents :P