Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

JD's Chop Shop. Conversion, Restoration and madness. 'General Hobby Guru.'
Old 21 Oct 2007, 07:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default JD's Chop Shop. Conversion, Restoration and madness. 'General Hobby Guru.'

Quote:
Handy tip 1
Never ever pass up the opportunity to raid a bitz box or trade off your unwanted bitz for more bitz!
Restoring Tanks - Chaos

My apologies for the picture quality.

Vindicator and Pred

Do you have a broken up, old busted and maybe even half complete tank laying around? Come to JD's chop shop and i'll see what I can show you to fix it up! Helpful Hints and Friendly advice on fixing your broken models, bitz restoring old tanks and converting. BUT, before you read on make sure your bitz box is plentiful! Or at least your mates bitz box! haha.

Okay, Recently I was fortunate enough to sell my eldar for $100 and pick up a possible 2 preds with the deal. So far i have only the bits for one pred and a rhino chassis. When the bitz for the next pred come to me i'll use the turret as a spare with a different weapon to swap out as needed.

Note that these tanks are the old style rhino chasis.

What you will need

-Knife
-Glue
-Bitz!!!
-Tank chassis
-Work space

and

-Coffee!

Here are two preds i have already completed, and a dread. I've also fixed up 9 bikes that were in horrid condition when i came upon them for $2 and some dark eldar warriors (5 of them!). Stripped the down, pulled them apart and built them back up from the bitz box! I'll get pics of these later.

This article will look at restoring the old Rhino chassis with some help from a bitz box into a Vindicator. And the second part (soon to come) will look at fixing an old pred.

Rhino Chasis

The bitz I have chosen to do both articles with.

I have had to desecrate a land speeder for this project. However i was fortunate enough to have mates who dont want there older stuff and sell it to me for cheap! As they know i'll work wonders with it. Also, a number of random other tank accessories and bitz is always helpful. And i'll be referring back to my own bitz box for this project so watch for more bitz i use not in the picture above.

First up, make sure the chassis of the old rhino is stable and solid (ish). Then allow it to dry.

Once dry double check that the model wont fall apart on you! Do this by pressing on areas of the model softly, this will allow you to determine where any loose components are. Then fix them with some glue and let it dry and repeat untill you are satisfied the base model is stable.

Now i'm going to use the section of the land speeder that separates the pilots from the engine.

I have already cut out the peice that sperates the front plates on the rhino and trimmed up the back of the speeder part to fit. This part will be the basis of our demolisher cannon. Glue into place.

Now i'm going to take two devil fish landing gear struts and put them on the back as a stabiliser for the tank. I'm going to trim the top so that the struts sit at a slight angel.

Glue these onto the rear section of the tank.

And as always make sure you don't cut yourself.

Okay, now im going to cut off the doors on the bottom (why GW modeled doors on the BOTTOM i have no idea.) Try not to damage these as they may came in handy later. I'll also remove the top hatches.

I also want you to prey to your god that the guy you got the model off has used a brittle glue!

Quote:
Handy tip 2.
-If your like me and will probably pull the model apart again don't use plastic glue. As this glue melts the 2 section together you will have a REALLY hard time getting them apart in a salvageable condition. Use a super glue that dries brittle so to can literally snap it apart with enough pressure next time you want to pull the model apart.
Now i'm going to fill in the door section i removed earlier with some thin cardboard. You can also use plasticard (i would normally but don't have any on hand). Now this only needs to be rough as it will be on the underside of the model.

I have cut down the support for a Russ rough terrain mod. This makes the surfaces flat to join onto the bottom of our vindicator.

The two panels below will be stuck on under the corners of the 'cannon' section to provide another support for the terrain mod. These can be found on the new land speeder sprues

I'm going to put two new hatches on top, and i just found an old marine to go in there. So i'll stick one up and have him out of the top hatch. I've stuck on a spike rack at the back, and i've done up the cannon a little more with 8 spikes going around it.

A couple of accessories and you have a Chaos vindicator!

And by now you should have finished off that coffee!

If you want me to have a go at fixing up a model of your own, contact me and i'll see if i can help you. I'll even take the opportunity, if your willing to part with the model for a small time and a little money, to do the restoration myself. I've done friends metal models (old nid models in particular) orks are another common and easy one as is chaos. And i'll try my hand at smoother, cleaner imperial gear.

However eldar, dark eldar and tau i have very little experience with and can only offer advice.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 15:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: JD's Chop Shop. Conversion, Restoration and madness. 'General Hobby Guru.'

Wow! Thats some pretty inventive work you've done there my friend!

If you haven't already been awarded with some karma, someone should definately get on that ;D.

Those preds look awesome, and same with the Dreadnaught. very inventive use of bits for that vindicator, it turned out great .

Now if only you could help me with my Leman Russ Demolisher..... The treads are sawed in half :'(.

-Rosetta Stoned

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 22:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: JD's Chop Shop. Conversion, Restoration and madness. 'General Hobby Guru.'

How the hell did that happen? If you could post up some pics or a good description i'll see what i can think about.

But put simply, you should have mates with spare track sections if thats what is actually broken.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 01:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well you see when you get left alone in your room for awhile... with a hacksaw.... bad things happan... :'( And its actually the whole side of the tank, the tread housing and all :-\. I was trying to turn it into a battle wagon for my orks and failed miserable. Now I'm left with a useless demolisher. But don't worry about it, it isn't entirely worthless. Since I don't have the heart to try and fix it, I will be turning it into a terrain piece .

-Rosetta Stoned

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 02:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

No you won't! I'm not going to let you.

Can you get me a pic of the damages? And if you play orks this just made the entire project ALOT more interesting.

Failing that you could always send it my way and i'll see what i can do personally.

[hr]

Future projects.
-Part two of the article above will be chaosifying an old beat up pred.
-Dreadnought 'Loyalist - Chaos'
-Bad bad biker(s) into good good biker(s)
-Chaos Sentinels
Old 22 Oct 2007, 07:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Project 2 Predator

Okay, I have already cut the majority of accessories off this model, I decided to keep the front bitz on because I already like them how they are. And I have already re-attached the metal sections.

First up is the turret. Iím missing the top hatch and donít have a spare old one to fit in there. So, Iím going to take a new marine tank commander bit and cut down the flat section around his torso so it fits into the hatch space, as the space is not big enough for it normally.

Iím going to try and keep this with a similar layout to my other two preds in terms of accessories.

Right, I have this random twin-linked Lascannon and I have no idea where it came from. But itís the right size to use in the old pred turret (in terms of scale) however the cylinder bit that allows it to move up and down is too smallÖ Time to think of an idea to fix that one! The current auto cannon I have for it is a chaos one anyway so Iím going to keep that aside for my next turret.

One idea I have is to use either side of this bomb from a model air craft to lengthen the cylinder part.

Now Iím only going to have the turret weapon stationery (so it wonít move up and down for it is loose, and will always flop back down and look like itís mine hunting :P) So this job needs only to be rough.

Quote:
Handy tip 3
When cutting a part from eye sight to a correct length always cut it longer and trim away until the part fits correctly. And always trim away a small section at a time.
Iíve made it purposely too long so I can trim the sides down to fit properly.

Now Iíve gotten it to fit Iím going to glue it in place so that it sits aiming at the horizon. Iím going to put the top section on it as well to make it look right.

While we let that dry Iím going to fix up some patches on the chassis. Iíve added some general chaos bitz and trimmed down the engine housing of the land speeder from the vindicator project to make a ventilation system at the back of the pred. Iíve given the sponsons some bling with some fine chain. Cheap stuff from your local jewelers or toy store (toy stores usually have something like Ďmy first jewelryí that works really well for fine chain for models), Or you could ask your sister or mother or wife etc if they have any cheap old chain they donít want.

Okay, as you can see with the turret there is some space at the top that needs filling. Iím using the section from the front of the Rhino I cut away to cover it up. After cutting it down to size Iíve stuck it in place. This will have spikes added to it later.

So now we have the base of our turret done. Time to update it chaos style! First Iím going to glue down the marine. Add some spikes to it, and an open hatch, some chain over the Lascannons and give our marine a head! Iíve also added the Las pack from a new pred to the rear of the turret.

From itís current condition I need to come across some more spiky bitz. But otherwise the model is just about complete.

Old 22 Oct 2007, 08:12   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Dude thats so cool, your great.. hey if i kill you will i become you? that way i could do such great conversions. I love what you've done you gonna be doing anymore soon?
Zahrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 08:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea I am, ASAP actually. I plan to make up two chaos sentinels from the broken bitz i have of two.

You can see those 3 preds at the next GT as well
Old 22 Oct 2007, 08:28   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Nice conversion, especially the fact they weren't complete kits. I have a partially completed Land Raider, and I'll post some pics up tonight. I already have some plans for, but due to the other Land Raider project, I won't have the funds to get the bits.

Anyway, I have clear plans for where I'm going to take this LR kit
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 09:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Nice... Yea I get alot of models that are only half complete, or broken, or whatever for pretty cheap and fix them up. It's harder to do imperial items as they are usually smooth looking, but chaos and orks are just a matter of finding what fits to put it simply.

Here is the pred from above Completed! (apart from painting)