Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau space suits
Old 21 Sep 2007, 17:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau space suits

So I was just chekcing out the Apocolypse range and there was a couple of moon craters and I started thinking a Tau force made to be deployed in space would look pretty cool and would open up for some cool campaigns and battle scenes.

I tried to think of what their tanks, crisis suits, and FW's would look like in a zero atmosphere battlefield.

Any ideas. I thought the tanks would have more armour and thrusters for steering. Crisis suits would have more as well. And fire warriors would have a bulkier form of armor.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2007, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau space suits

Mmmmh.

General:
If you're operating on zero-atmosphere planets, you need sealed suits. If you're operating on low gravity planets or in space, you need thrusters to guide you.

Infantery

For Firewarriors, they're already covered with armour so the converting should be light (maybe add some rigid armour on the legs, where there is no armour). Maybe add some mini nozzles on the backpack

Kroots: due to their wild nature, and the design of the mini, you'll need heavy conversion to put them in a suit (and inside they can't eat their enemies, so they'll be disapointed ).

Vehicles
Hammerhead & Devilfish: they are enclosed, with moveable engines, so no conversion necessary.

Piranha
Open vehicle, but since the pilots are FW, use the same conversion for them. Harder to do, but a bubble canopy to cover the cockpit can better render the idea of operating in space. The main issue will be for the windows. Try to do small portholes in a heavy structure, or close the cockpit with no-portholes cover, and add some sensors on the front.

Battlesuits & Drones:
Just add some thrusters on different axis (on the backpack for example) to represent them operating with no gravity.

Paint:
Maybe report the air caste color scheme: light grey and red markings. Or you can try a fully metallic paint (like the space modules of today). Or a dark theme (dark grey/black and light grey or red markings).

there are some ideas on the fly, I'll think of it and see if I find anything else.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Those are all pretty good ideas, but I think the tanks need some work. Although they do have vectored engines on the back, they are made to counter the effects of gravity. I think adding a smaller engine towards the nose of the 'fish would be better. Think of it like a tricycle with a smaller engine in the front and two larger ones in the back. Also the Fire warriors could do with a modified helmet, as I doubt their existing one is airtight. A symmetrical helmet that looks like a more oval or globe shaped containment might work. You could also give them XV15 style backpacks, as they already have jets.
And my body that crouches in the shadow.
I am Tzeentch and you are the puppet,
That dances to my tune.

Karazantor the Vile,
The Traitor of Xain
N19eteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2007, 03:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

As far as I know, all FW suits also double as emergency Vacuum Suits as well.
The only conversion you might need to add is some sort of atmosphere recycler.

All Tau Battlesuits and Vehicles are air-tight, enclosed structures, so no problems are present there.

Kroot may be able to adapt a vacuum based environment, but I think the Tau would just leave them at home to be honest, if there was a high possibility of zero-atmosphere engagements.

Also remember, zero-atmosphere =/= zero-G, so there may be some kind of gravity to interact with.
Vehicles and suits already have ancillary thrusters (not really modeled on the suits) for operation on zero/low gravity environments.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2007, 09:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
I second this. It only makes sense that their suits would be self contained atmospheres. For extended vacuum/space activity, an attached cylinder or breather unit would look good. I'd use the grenade canister bit and form a single long tube, attaching it to the side of their backpack.

Speaking of which, would their grenades work in outer-space/a vacuum? What weapons wouldn't work? SMS? Missile pod? A railgun would be even more effective considering how frail a spacecraft can be. Put a single hole in a ship and the whole thing goes.
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2007, 13:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kur'os
Quote:
I second this. It only makes sense that their suits would be self contained atmospheres. For extended vacuum/space activity, an attached cylinder or breather unit would look good. I'd use the grenade canister bit and form a single long tube, attaching it to the side of their backpack.

Speaking of which, would their grenades work in outer-space/a vacuum? What weapons wouldn't work? SMS? Missile pod? A railgun would be even more effective considering how frail a spacecraft can be. Put a single hole in a ship and the whole thing goes.
Photon Grenades would still work in vacuum/zero-G, as they'd still be able to flash-blind you.
EMP's could as well, seeing as how it's electro-magnetic radiation (which is actually hampered slightly by atmosphere)
SMS and MP would work fine, they'd just use vectored thrust instead of control fins to guide themselves.

And lastly, space ships are compartmentalised, minimising damage from breaches, and have either powerful energy fields surrounding them, are clad in metres thick armour plating, or both.

Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Old 25 Sep 2007, 00:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Photon Grenades would still work in vacuum/zero-G, as they'd still be able to flash-blind you.
EMP's could as well, seeing as how it's electromagnetic radiation (which is actually hampered slightly by atmosphere)
SMS and MP would work fine, they'd just use vectored thrust instead of control fins to guide themselves.
True. And on top of the flash, shrapnel/slag from a grenade might even be more effective if the enemy were in similar space suits. It would only take a spec to penetrate the suit, thus killing the occupant.

Quote:
And lastly, space ships are compartmentalised, minimising damage from breaches, and have either powerful energy fields surrounding them, are clad in metres thick armour plating, or both.
I don't completely agree with the above.

Yes, space ships are divided into compartments and yes, this would cut down on damage; but given the sheer penetration of a railgun/cannon, I'm seeing this producing more damage than would normally occur.

Multiple compartments throughout the entire ship will be compromised instantly as the round keeps punching through to the other side. And even if the crew/computer reacts and seals those compartments, that ship is done. Any lasting combat effectiveness/survivability is gone. And what happens when a second or third rail round hits? What if the blast doors/resealing bulkheads are hit? There goes the seal and there goes the ship.

Have you ever read the Halo novels? The humans use MAC guns (massive rail cannons) against Covenant ships, more than enough to punch through their shields and any armor on the ship itself, almost always disabling the ship immediately if not destroying it altogether. Why would Tau rail cannons be any different?

I don't know all of the GW fluff, nor do I have any IA books, but I really do think that a rail gun would prove more effective against spacecraft regardless of any shield or compartmentalization.

-Kur'os
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2007, 08:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Kur'os, if you read some battlefleet gothic fluff you'll realise the difference in scale between Halo (which is cool in its own right), and BFG.
Example: The Average cruiser in Halo is ~400-600 metres long iirc.
The Standard Cruiser in BFG is 4-5 Kilometres long. And the first half-kilometre or so (on imperial ships) is all armour, and torpedo tubes.

MAC guns are powerful, if they were in BFG, they might simply do double damage, like Ork Heavy Gunz, or they might be treated as normal batteries, like Tau Railguns (Starship Railcannons that fire shells the size of buses).

The range between ships in BFG is also vastly different, point blank being ~15,000 km.

As to the idea that rail round could punch through a capital ship (BFG or otherwise), that's why there's a critical hits table.

–tvtropes.org