Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

“Tau customizations” Project (materials 10/06/2007)
Old 20 Sep 2007, 04:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default “Tau customizations” Project (materials 10/06/2007)

“Tau customizations” Project

Well I finally got around to finish my favorite project. This is basically what I think TAU players should do. Many races got easy customization options. Guards have doctrines, Space Marines have traits, Orkks have clans. TAU well, I was hoping that this would help to develop TAU individuality. This article is basically shows few examples of this. I tried to put few things that I saw and did. I made assembled them into a “guide”. You can use it to customize your army. You can start from basics and then try tings that you find interesting. The last section is a collection. Collection of TAU links. Anyone can post link of stuff that they did (pictures, tutorials or use of mine concepts) and I’ll put the link there and your name and description of what it is. Thanx in advance for the attention. I hope this article will help to individualize your army.

Disclaimer

My article includes a lot of fluff on subject of battle honors. All entries were “coordinated” with “Project TAU” to maintain coherency in naming and description. The visual “representation” however is mine by the most part except from the Violet arm band. Detail descriptions of the fluff of all “battle honors” can be found in a “Project TAU”. I do not claim any credit for any fluff behind all battle honors. All credit goes to their creators Clamsword and other participants of “Project TAU”.
Idea of custom bonding knives, Cadre Blades and Cadre banners belongs to me (as far as I know, I haven't seen anyone proposing it).

Starting

Well if you decided to use this “system” of mine you should do few things for your army. You should pick fluff and preferably the army list. On the fluff, I have to tell you, I don’t like 40k fluff. However I like minimum fluff. This is what I recommend.
- Home world. Pick a home Sept for your TAU. Its simple, its on a page 18-19 and you can pick the one you like. You will need it for placing symbols of your homeworld on your Fire Warriors, Vehicles XVs, and banners, accessories and etc. I strongly recommend from staying away from “home brewed” Septs as TAU are not space marines and can’t “just” found a new Sept like space marines can found chapters. A new Sept is an event of an Epic scale. If you want to play for “cultists” or renegades, then follow the appropriate section.
- Missions. Well basically that would define your color theme. If your cadre is mostly on missions with Forest Terrain well then you might need green, grey and brown colors. Since missions defining the terrain, it can also shape your conversions.
- Colorful Characters. This can help you with conversions as you would make a new character for your Cadre. For example you can have few named Shas’Vre/El/O for your cadre with unique suits.

Basic customizations

After choosing the Sept & a mission, you can try few basic customizations for your cadre. These are examples of fairly easy conversion that can be done on almost every model.

- Sculpt the Sept symbol on your TAU models. ***I completely refuse to accept “color” Sept markings, GW didn’t made 19 marks. Further more, if uniform happened to be the same as Sept mark. You get the picture. *** Fire Warriors can have their symbol of T’au on their shoulder armor, replaced with a symbol of the Sept that you have chosen. You can “cut out” the original symbol, the use green stuff to sculpt over it. Most of the symbols are fairly simple. You can then paint symbol in the color you want. Other models like XVs and Vehicles can have it too. It can be painted, “cut out” or sculpted on their armor. Kroot however wouldn’t carry symbols of TAU. They are still mercenaries and usually could care less what Sept their employer comes from as long kroot are getting paid. Vespid are a special case. They do bear the symbols of the Septs. However it is very hard to sculpt a new symbol. If you are a beginner you might want to leave it unchanged. Some cadres can contain units from other Septs, or can generally be “Multi-Septed”. Simply decide what unit comes from which Sept and sculpt/paint the symbols appropriately.
- Dynamic posing. This is important, unlike some armies like Imperial Guard, TAU do not use “close order drill” types of formations and usually move around a lot. That means that you can pose them in almost any positions. That goes double for XVs. Neither Kroot nor Vespid use “formations”. They can be posed “at will”.
- Piant and camouflage. TAU are very pragmatic and use camouflage that fits their mission. That being said, they are rarely use “camouflage” on Regular troops. Pathfinders, Vehicles and some XVs employ camouflage pattern on regular bases. Fire warriors usually use two or three colors for their armor. Two colors for armor and third for a “closing”. Camouflage of pathfinders, XVs & vehicles is usually closer to the patterns that modern military uses. XV25s and Sniper Drones have “stealth fields”, which is represented by an advanced paint theme reserved specifically for models with Stealth Fields (see appropriate section).
- Additional basic options. You can include Sept marking for your units that will indicate their alignment to a particular team. Also you can make few “lens” and “illumination” effects on the parts of Fire Warriors like Back packs, Helmets & Weapon Targeters. XV’s Target Locks, Mulitrackers, Black Sun Filters, helmets, Position Rely Array and many weapons like Plasma Rifle can also have same effects. Vehicles also have similar points that can be given illumination effects.

Well these are basic option. Using them alone can make your army stand out very well. Yes they are not that “striking” like a fully sculpted Daemon Prince with gifts and chain skulls and other crap hanging from him. However, these are just basics. Now we can look at some “advanced” things for your TAU army.

Advanced customization options

This section has most of the ideas for the customizations of your TAU cadre. Keep in mind that most of them required some practice before attempting. So if you are just beginning the hobby, you might want to try something simpler first. All options are described first, and then “sorted out” in an army list. All vehicles are placed in a separate section.

Using this section: For battle honors & bonding ritual, look into the appropriate section. All basic customizations are still in full effect. To save space I will not repeat them here.

Army List

HQ

Shas’El / Shas’O XV8s

1. Custom build weapons and systems. Overhauled special issue and normal weapons. You can made some gun and “count it as” what ever you want. Don’t forget represent every weapon and support system on your suit.
2. Custom suit. You can add some simple modifications to your suit like modified head or converted jet pack. Some people build full scratch buld suits. It’s a fun project that you can do. Try to stay away from “non-necessary” stuff that might compromise the suit. Don’t forget that all wargear, like “multi tracking systems” or stimulant injector, etc. can make for a fine conversion.
3. Battle honors -> Commander can receive all battle honors except Preserver of Life. While you can do it, it is highly not recommended. You want your commander to stand out, not stand out like a Christmas tree. Elegance and balance is a key, to any model really, try to not over do it.
4. Cadre’s Banner –>It is a Cadre’s moral symbol. Not many cadres have one. But if they do, they treasure it. TAU banners usually do not look like usual middle age banners. They must be very conventional. Meaning they must not compromise barrier in anyway. You can see idea of banners in the material section. I would suggest include banners on non deep striking suits and only in old/big cadres. Keep in mind that their could be only one banner per cadre.
5. Body Guard -> This is an HQ section for a reason. If you decide to make body guards, it’s important that you should maintain a theme of your HQ. You can give them big shields for example. You just have to maintain the “theme” of your HQ, so the unit wouldn’t look “patched up”.

Ethereal

1. Ethereal is one of the best ways to individualize your army. Though he is very questionable on battle field, he can look very impressive. You don’t even need to buy a model. You can convert one of your Fire Warriors. On options, you can go nuts. From his cloak to his weapons. However you should, again, keep him themed with your army.
2. Ethereal council or “advisers” – Accompanied by several “advisers” that represent other casts in the army. It can be Air, Earth or Water caste advisers. It is actually represented in the codex on the page 23. It is simple. They all can be modeled on the same base. Or separate bases can be used. This can be quite a fun diorama project. Make sure that Ethereal is “removable”. You can make up some house rules, though I advise against it.
3. Custom honor guard. This is another project with almost no limits. Almost anything can go since ethereal choose his guard himself he can design what he wants. You can for example give every Fire Warrior a same honor. That would represent that ethereal picked Fire Warriors with specific qualities. As there is not much restriction, I can only say, keep it tasteful and do not make a “salad bar”.
4. Battle honors for ethereal and his Guard -> Ethereal can receive any honors except Brethren of Lightning and The Second Birth. His honor guard can receive any battle honors except Brethren of Lightning and The “Recognized”.
5. Cadre’s Banner -> Ethereal or his honor guard may carry cadre Cadre’s banner. Again it must be conventional and so it wouldn’t compromise TAU in battle.

Elite

XV8s

1. Elites usually do not have custom Battle Suits. However I presume some cadre can order some if they do not rely on battle suits that heavily. On the rest, all weapons, systems & wargear can be represented on the suit.
2. Battle Honors -> Elite can have all battle honors except The “Recognized” and Preserver of Life.

XV25s

1. Stealth field effect. This is a very important part of stealth suits. As they can’t really have any “fancy things” they get one ultimate feat. “Stealth paint”, when done right, can look astounding. This is an example of professionally done “Stealth Paint” => http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/huntercadre/2/
2. All Wargear and Support systems can and should be represented.
3. “Lighter suits”. Some cadres employ older and “lighter” versions of stealth suits like X15 instead of XV25s. You can convert some to look lighter. Or just made them different.
4. Ultra dynamic posing. XV25s, although wearing a hulking armor are extremely agile and can be posed flying, jumping, hiding, etc.
5. Battle Honors -> Stealth Suits can have no battle honors as anything can compromise their position and that is unacceptable.

Troops

Fire Warriors

1. Wargear representation. – The usual, grenades may be ammo and drone controllers. Plus may be analog of a “VOX caster”. IMO just take one model and pose it as it receives information from HQ. Kind of sitting down and trying to catch a signal. You can model the “VOX cater” but just less bulky then Imperial. I know that all fire warriors have an “antenna” but the way I see it, it is more of an “inner squad communications”. VOX is more for a contacting HQ while having a heavy interference due to being caught up in an ordnance barrage… Also make note of a certain battle honor called Preserver of Life. I would suggest including 1-5 of these per squad. “None” and “all” is “over board” IMO.
2. Battle Honors -> Fire Warriors can receive any battle honors except Brethren of Lightning and The “Recognized”. Again, keep it tasteful and not “flashy”.

Devilfish Armored personal carrier.

SEE VEHICLE SECTION

Kroot carnivore squadron

1. Although some kindred of kroot are “employed” by TAU, they have no connection to their “code systems” whatsoever. That simply means that you can go absolutely nuts on the custom jobs. Although TAU do not like barbaric nature of kroot, they do not really care as long as the job is done right.
2. Battle honors -> the only honor that kroot can ever receive from TAU is a weapon. It is considered a gift. Another Honor that is sometimes given to exceptional individuals is He/She that Endures.

Fast Attack

Pathfinders

1. Ultra dynamic posing. Pathfinders are one of the most agile units in TAU cadre. They should always be posed very dynamically.
2. Camouflage. Not only uniforms but Camo netting. Just like tanks and Snipers of IG can have it, so can we. There is no reason why they Pathfinders can’t have net-like camo with leaves/dirt.
3. Gear pack. IMO every pathfinder should have the following =>
- Carbine with Marker light (easy to design). Don’t forget a “cord”
- Binoculars (you can cut half of a pulse rifle so it would look like futuristic binocular. Or you can take, that Devil Fish’s commander has.)
- Shovel. Very simple, yet no Spec-Ops ever leave home without it. Would look very good. Obviously for looks only.
- ***Optional*** Grenades. If you take them, I think it’s a must.
- Grappling hook/Climbing gear? That could be nice look IMO.
- Life gear like water flask & etc. Not sure fluff wise, but pathfinders don’t have a back pack so I think you can do that…
4. No battle honors. Just like XV25s, they can’t risk jeopardizing their location.

Gun Drones

1. This is something exotic. Surly you can just use those you have. However you can convert them quite a bit. They would not look like drones from Devil Fish, but they can look very good. Drones from Halo are quite impressive. You can use them as prototype. Search google for a stylish design. I saw few things done with them. However they can be quite nice. Don’t forget their base. They can be positioned very well.

Vespid

These guys (they are mostly girls actually) are mystery. I came up with few.
1. They can only receive He/She that Endures as they are “non-TAU”.
2. Colorful basing. Jump troops could have very good bases and positions. Even though they are metal, they can be “bend”. Green Stuff would be your friend here.

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 04:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: “Tau customizations” Project (do not comment yet)

Piranhas

SEE VEHICLE SECTION

Heavy Support

XV88s

1. XV88s are often employed with Advanced Stabilization System. There are quite a few ways to make one. These are the few I came up/remembered -> Four legged, Necron/anti Grav, Tracks/Wheels, Reinforced legs, Big jet pack, Quadruple Jet pack.
2. Weapons. Well, there quite a few conversion possibilities like repositioning of Railguns or SMS/Plasma. (SMS can be mounted on the back for example, etc.)
3. War gear and systems. Well as usual. Model them out.
4. Battle Honors -> All honors except Greatest Warrior, Brethren of Lightning The “Recognized” and Preserver of Life

Sniper Team

1. Scratch building them can be very easy. You would need three gun drones and a fire warrior/Devil Fish commander. You would also need some scrap from the “sprue”. Target locks can be modeled from GS or just taken from XV8 sprue.
2. ***I am not claiming rights for this idea! It’s not mine, I think ScoutFox made it first*** You can “reverse” the team. Take pathfinders with rail rifles and a Marker drone. This way the spotter will be a drone and Snipes will be Pathfinders. I find this an extremely good idea. Props to its creator.
3. Stealth Field. They have it, model it! Just like XV25s have it, they can too.
4. Static camo on their bases can help too.
5. Battle honors -> Sniper teams can not have battle honors.

Hammer Head

SEE VEHICLE SECTION

Sky Ray

SEE VEHICLE SECTION

Vehicle Section

1. Upgrades -> Obviously, that is a complete MUST IMO. Every upgrade should be modeled and shown on the vehicle.
A. Decoy Launchers -> easy enough. Everyone knows how to make those.
B. Multitraker -> Easiest one is a simply slapping one from the battle suits.
C. Targeting array -> You can put a part of a pulse rifle sideways on the front of the fish. Or put it on the burst cannon turret (for Devilfish) underneath.
D. Black sun filter -> Well you can make the window of a cockpit “wider”/”thicker” or make something that looks like “neon” headlights.
E. Seeker Missile -> easy enough. Just find a convenient place. May be on top or on bottom of the vehicle.
F. Disruption Pod -> This can be modeled by spare multitraker OR creating a medium size volumetric “disco ball”. It can have much fewer sides and don’t look like a ball (Basically multitraker without antenna but bigger in scale). But should be painted with different colors. Light effect is optional.
G. Sensor spines -> Simple enough. You can mount it on wing or on nose or on spinning part of the nose.
H. Target lock -> My suggestion is to take existing one and put it co-axel to a main gun. Of course it can be mounted separately on the hull somewhere.
I. Fletcher discharger -> Well. You can take something that looks like a “Leaf blower”. Basically Fletcher discharger IS a “Leaf blower” that spits a certain amount of small particles. You can make several with fixes “firing arc” or one that can spin for example.
2. Modifications -> Some Cadres are building/”ordering” their vehicles with special modifications to suit their needs. In practice this means partial to full vehicle conversions. From vertically mounted Rail Gun to a scratch build Hull for piranha or Hammer Head.
3. Paint job. IMO there are three things that will define the paint job
A. Camouflage. Vehicle can be partially or fully painted in camouflage style. The methods vary from person to person. I tried free hand first. Didn’t work out all that well. It consumes too much time. I will try “duck tape and two kinds of paint” method in near future. ***Basically paint a Tank in one color that would become color of “stripes” (secondary color). Then cut out few duck tape patterns. Then spray over with primary color. After it will dry out you can take off duck tap and you will have a nice ornament.***
B. War Paint. Despite that many people want to turn TAU into “robots”, TAU do have war paint on their vehicles. It is not “teeth” like those on IG vehicles or Skulls like those on Orkk vehicles. TAU war paint is all about symbols. They are much more elegant then IG or Orkkish art but not as elegant as Eldar runes & wines. You can paint Small, Medium or even big Circles with some colorful pattern in it. I find it quite an interesting way to customize your Vehicles.
C. Small details. Lighting effect on your engines and windows can be very effective. Transfers. It is not on common for TAU to put some motivational words on their vehicle. You can pick a word from a transfer sprue or just paint some phrase free hand. Just make sure it is written in TAU language.
4. Battle Damage. Some people do not like it. I find it is necessary for Vehicles and a benefit for other stuff. Depending on a back ground story it could be anything from marks from led bullets to tyranid acid blood/etc. that scarred the vehicle. If Fire warriors will most likely be able to replace their armor, they probably do not get new Devil Fish every day. Scratches, bullet wholes and burns are usually look very effective. Just don’t forget to pre model them.
5. Custom made base. You can make a base for displaying your Vehicle on such base, and use a practical base for gaming. Custom bases look very effective.

TAU battle honors.

- Violet arm band. Given to TAU who suffered a loss in their family. Representation of this could be done in two ways. You can attach the “band” made of green stuff and paint it purple. You can also just paint a stripe on the armor. Simple “painting” can case serious problems if your whole uniform happened to be purple (your cadre doing missions in some freaky alien planet perhaps?). I suggest to sticks to a simple “wrist band” style that is painted purple/violet.

- The “Recognized” (Ar’Yen). This is one of the highest awards is given to the TAU commanders that are both exceptional on a battle field and incredibly loyal. I decided to represent it with an amulet. The amulet itself consists of pale-violet (ethereal) ribbon with “Ethereal” symbol in the middle suspended on the chain. The Amulet is strapped on the shoulder armor of the commander’s suit. ***Be advised however, this is a very high honor and giving it to someone would “promote” commander and your whole army to an epic scale. Epic scale would mean very strict rules. Breaking them would mean serious incoherency in fluff.***

- The Second Birth (N’Saaal’Cha). Award is issued after “Fi’Rios” campaign. It represents an unconditional loyalty of the particular TAU. You can make a small cloak that covers the shoulder of the suit. It can be covered in TAU symbols and ornaments. Color is red/orange.

- Brethren of Lightning (Se’hen ka Lissera). Award is given to the XVs who excel in the art of Deep Striking. Representation could be different. I have two ways in my mind. First is simple. Emblem of an air Caste with a bright yellow & blue ribbon attached as “seal”. The second way would be make a few “spikes/wings”. Mostly I would advocate two spikes/wings on the hands or jet pack. I would probably do a combination. Its fairly practical and not barbaric.

- Guardian of Water/Earth/Air (Lynu’Vesa’T Fio/Por/Kor). Award is given to whole teams or even cadres that successfully complete the missions of defense of fortress/diplomats/aircraft (earth/water/air respectively). Award can be represented by a brown/blue/white ribbon with an appropriate seal.

- Greatest Warrior (Sash’shi). Award is usually given to TAU that fought in close combat and succeeded. The award is represented as a weapon. It could be a sword, a knife or spikes. They are simply for decoration and do not count towards anything.

- Preserver of Life (Taal’t’ta). Giving to the TAU that help save lives with first aid. You can sculpt a small blue stone on the armor of the model to represent this award. I chose it because TAU’s skin is blue. Also blue stone on an armor plate could be easily seen by an ally who is wounded and needs help.

- He/She that Endures (Tash). One of the highest awards in Empire. Given to TAU that sustained a siege or stall time to help the Empire rich it goals. It also the only award that is given to the “non-TAU”. It is represented as a necklace with few rings on it and symbol of T’au in the middle.

TAU bonding ritual

Bonding ritual is an important part of TAU culture. All details could be found at “Project TAU”. As “Project TAU” shows, this ritual isn’t “stock” and incredibly unique. It is different every time. That opens up a good option for customization. You can make custom made bonding knifes. That means that you can sculpt knifes for your squads. You can design the knife yourself, then make it and give it to squads that will be bonded. The size could vary from short sword to machete and to combat knife. Again it shouldn’t compromise the barrier in combat so keep it “tasteful”.
Another Idea that I came up with was Cadre’s blade, - The big blade that would symbolize a bond of the cadre. Obviously it would be something that only old veteran cadres have. This is quite an option. You can make a good decoration that can add some flavor to your cadre.

Addition: Cultists

This section is dedicated to a TAU “cultists”. If you decided to have a “chaos TAU” cadre, this is section for you. First things first. These are not possessed spawns from hell. So if you want those, I suggest collecting Chaos Space Marines. These are TAU that have been “deceived”. I also must say that I had never done these things and not planning to do, but I have to cover all bases. So you still want “chaosy TAU”? Before we start we need to get few things straight.

- No possession. TAU cults are much more of a partnership then worshiping.
- For TAU to be “deceived” they have to “meet” some Daemon that had materialized already.
- There have been no recorded cases of TAU working with Daemons, so keep small scale.
***Some information on Cultists can be found here http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...ersaries/3.htm and here http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4.../daemons/b.htm ***

Cult of Nurgle

The most likely candidate on the roll is Nurgle. Many people had suggested that TAU are immune to Nurgle because of their superior medicine. However we are not talking how Nurgle can attack TAU. In one of the topics Wargamer mentioned that Nurgle isn’t only a god of decay. He is a god who “helps” beat time. Every greatest creation must perish. It’s just a matter of time. When it does, many are turning to Nurgle for help. TAU’s greatest creation is their Ideology. They are very idealistic to the point of self-sacrifice. However, they wouldn’t be able to bare the though of their ideology perished in time. That’s the only real reason for TAU “working” with Nurgle. The options I came up with ->

- Chaos symbols on the armor. No spiky bits, just occasional symbols.
- Dirty and damaged armor and vehicles. Cults would probably be an outcast, or at least on a distant expedition. So “clean” armor isn’t exactly the priority” at this point.
- Demonic items. Some items could be used by TAU. I am not an expert on chaos so I can’t say what they could use. May be plague sword or something?
-“Nurgle” host. Someone has to “convince” TAU first. It could be a daemon prince, a materialized daemon, or some kind of sorcerer. You can safely include one in your army.

Cult of Tzeench

The second most likely candidate. Tzeench is chaos god of Change. Something that TAU want to do. TAU’s goal is to change things, they are a change in 40k. So Tzeench is a very likely candidate for “partner ship”.

- Chaos symbols on the armor. No spiky bits, just occasional symbols.
- “Infused weapons”. I do not know if it is “fluffy”, but I would guess Tzeench can “infuse TAU weaponry with “dark energies”
- Demonic items. Some items could be used by TAU. I am not an expert on chaos so I can’t say what they could use. May be some sorts of orbs and staffs?
-“Tzeench” host. Someone has to “convince” TAU first. It could be a daemon prince, a materialized daemon, or some kind of sorcerer. You can safely include one in your army.

So what about the other two? TAU do not have that much anger and hate or pride, their feelings are usually suppressed by their ideology. Both Khrone and Slaanesh appeal to “individual” things like pride, hate and pleasure which TAU had berried so deep they almost lost them. I would strongly recommend of staying away from these two as it is even more improbable then Nurgle and Tzeench.

Addition: Renegades

Renegade TAU are one of my favorite topic. I am still considering of making a small combat patrol of “renegade force”. I had written an article about “why TAU would become renegades”. This is a link. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=48542.0 Two thing to remember -> TAU would never kill other TAU. Also keep it small scale. There haven’t been any reported cases after Farsight. So, small scale can give you a safe fluff ground to start your new renegade cadre.

On to customization. Your army is really limited by what cased them to go rouge. That means that most of the time few units will fall from the army list. If you need the unit, you can substitute it with some conversion.
Generally, renegades would most likely have “used equipment” and no clear alignment to a Sept. They can have less practical things like bigger banners, or colorful and/or “barbaric” warpaint on vehicles. Keep in mind that renegade usually get their weapons equipment from mercenaries, and “black markets”. It is possible to change their equipment and vehicles to some converted analogs. After you choose a cause you can see what units really shouldn’t be there. The two really serious once are ->

- Strategy Collisions -> Denies us Ethereals.
- Cause Xenophobia -> Denies us Vespids, Gue’la and Kroot.

- Ethereal can be substituted by a commander that exited/lost his/her battle suit.
- Vespid can be substituted by a form of jump troops of some sort. You can use jump packs of Assault Marines. Alternatively you can use analog of Hellion boards of Dark Eldar.
- Kroot can be substituted by some lightly armed TAU with some hand to hand weapons. (mutant & human mercenaries if hatred is specifically against kroot).
- Gue’la can be substituted by lightly armored fire warriors with grenades.

Few concluding words

Well I that’s it ^_^. My article is basically done. It was suppose to be done at June but something came up. In anyway it is done. I will try to post examples of my work in material section from time to time. I will try to get some sketches & model up as soon as I can. I also have to thank few people.
Special thanx goes to -> Doombringer for helping, proof reading and fluff coordination. Lonely TAU for general support and early review, LordBlackSteel for reviewing and helping with some technical aspect. Of course thanx to everyone who likes it ^_^.
I hope this article will help someone to individualize your army.
So… Do you like it? Hate it? Tell me all about it. ^_^ I really looking forward to some feed back ^_^.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 20 Sep 2007, 04:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: “Tau customizations” Project (do not comment yet)

The Materials

Shas'Vre with some custom hardwired systems, symbol of his Sept painted on back, and "Second birth" honor.
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=44538.0

Shas'la with Sept symbol sculpted (Vash'Ya) and some illumination effects. Crappy picture, and I have more FWs now. And I sculpt bit better now too ^_^)

More FWs.

Shas'El and he while Ejected. Shas'El has "Brethren of Lightning" honor and has Stimulant Injector and HW MT modeled on him. TA is also there. I might made a separate thing for it on his shoulder.

Guides & Models stash

Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: “Tau customizations” Project

Wow... Just wow... This is astounding, my friend. You have really done well. Someone cookie him!
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 15:13   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Yeah, this is a fantastic bit of work, Red Dog, interesting, informative, and well laid out.

Cookies for you!

Quote:
***I completely refuse to accept “color” Sept markings, GW didn’t made 19 marks. Further more, if uniform happened to be the same as Sept mark. You get the picture. ***
:huh: Nope, I'm lost. What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 15:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mage -> thanx mate , I just hope all this won't just get "lost" in time any time soon ^_^.

Rafe -> thanx dude

Quote:
:huh: Nope, I'm lost. What do you mean?
GW wants us to "identify" Septs by Sept color. But being lazy ass as they are, they made only 7 "sept colors" in new codex (page 59). But there are 19 Septs. So I propose to mark your units with Sept Symbols. There are 19 Sept symbols and they are not really hard to sculpt or just paint. Every unit has some place where the Sept symbol can be placed conveniently.
Also if you army happened to wear armor with same color as their "sept color", it will create confusion. IMO its best to leave "marking systems" for team marks only. This way you can always ell what Sept your army from. ^_^

Well hope you guys like it, and don't forget, if you have any TAU work (showcase, guides, etc.) post here and I will put it in data base

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

Old 20 Sep 2007, 15:50   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Bingo.

I quite like the sept colour idea, but it was badly implemented. It would be cool if part of the PROJECT could flesh out (Semi)official colours for all septs (dibs on gold for Fi'Rios mind......)

If I dig anything useful out at home, then I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2007, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Bingo.

I quite like the sept colour idea, but it was badly implemented. It would be cool if part of the PROJECT could flesh out (Semi)official colours for all septs (dibs on gold for Fi'Rios mind......)

If I dig anything useful out at home, then I will let you know.
Exactly. I do like the idea, but you have to understand, 19 colors... we going to have repeating colors. Thats why I like "Symbol" idea. We have unique symbols, and they are not to hard to sculpt. You can just paint it on armor if you would like it more. ^_^ And btw, Fi'Rios has a VERY good symbol

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

Old 20 Sep 2007, 16:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As a noob just starting off, with only 12 FW and a Crisis suit, this article is SO perfect for me, now I can work out how to make my force look like MY force without breaking any of the rules that I haven't learnt yet. Woohooo!
Great job!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 18:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: That place where, stereotypically, we all drink tea and wear top hats.

I'm planning on giving all of my FW Shas'Ui banners, in order to differentiate the squads. So far, this has resulted in the concepts of the Angry Tau, the Noisy Tau, and the Communist Tau ("MOSTLY ANGRY MOST THE TIME", "ALWAYS ROCKIN' ALL THE TIME", and finally "IN SOVIET TAU EMPIRE, PULSE RIFLE FIRE YOU!").

Here are the current Angry Tau, with their placeholder banner. As soon as I can get some transfer paper and plasticard, they'll be getting a much better one. I think I'll post those logos sometime...
92% of forum users have signatures which explain how they are part of an 8% minority. If you are part of the 8% that don't, copy and paste this into your signature, and duck when the paradoxial nature of this action causes a rip in the space-time continuum.

Quote:
+++Your avatar is my worst nightmare.+++
Sven the Kaiser of Krieg, On my avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
The Orkoid understanding of Force Field technology is staggering. The Imperium is a long way behind, and the Tau are, by comparisson, jumping up and down screaming "Witch! Witch!".
Askaris is offline   Reply With Quote