Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

ion damage
Old 10 Apr 2007, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default ion damage

For the base of my tau comander, I want to include a dead SMurf that had just been peppered by a CIB. how would I modle the damage? I was thinking mabye heating up the tip of a nail and poking the SM all over. what do you think?

I have a very hard time picturing Aun'va rocking out to "Our God Is An Awesome God".
-Raptor Jesus

Ninja Fish Robots, Flesh-Eating Space Chickens, AND Supersonic Cockroaches??? W00t!!! (^ ^)
-Damian

I like me

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature spread the word!

if you think you've had too much to drink, you're obviously to coherent to have had too much to drink When I was your age, Pluto was a planet!
rattythepuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: ion damage

The ion weapon makes a spray of very fast particles, like say, a stream of red hot sand that are in a coherent beam. Not light, not mass but ions (and given the Tau superiority in tech neutral particles not + or - charged).

On marine, have all the paint flensed off in one area or a in a swath with the gooey bits all exposed and leaking. Note the particle hits probably mean a bunch of E is converted into heat. E=MV, after all. So there could be radiant effects.
Old 10 Apr 2007, 19:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

make a space marine and then put the plastic glue over the place where he was hit and jab at it with a craft knife
the glue will melt the plastic and the jab marks can be the holes where the particles hit the armour ;D

The way 2 Death is Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2007, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

The problem with this kind of damage, is well no one but your would actualy know what the wound is.

I would reference a body wound such as this with say the movie "Aliens" where the acid burns into metal. This "Relief Effect" would be difficult to model, but the wound would be wider at the entrance, and narrow at the bottom. Or perhaps it cut through.

Either way, it will be difficult to convey what this would look like, as we have no other frame of reference to conclude if it was modeled correctly.

So, whatever you want, works great.. cause.. no one here (on Earth) at least could tell you what it looked like. The description of the weapons are correct.. the damage.. well thats a different story.. If you follow my meaning..

LordBlacksteel
LordBlacksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 12:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well, since the CIB has 5 shots, you could cover half the marine with holes...

if the other weapon isn't a pulse machine gun (I know the name is wrong, but I can't get the right one), the weapon used should be obvious.
Old 11 Apr 2007, 18:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the other weapon is an AFP and I know that he wouldn't waste a frag round on a single target

I have a very hard time picturing Aun'va rocking out to "Our God Is An Awesome God".
-Raptor Jesus

Ninja Fish Robots, Flesh-Eating Space Chickens, AND Supersonic Cockroaches??? W00t!!! (^ ^)
-Damian

I like me

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature spread the word!

if you think you've had too much to drink, you're obviously to coherent to have had too much to drink When I was your age, Pluto was a planet!
rattythepuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 18:40   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think the idea of making a lot of small holes with a soldering iron (be careful), pin vise, or heated pin would probably be your best bet. It does have a very high rate-of-fire, after all.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 19:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would drill/ poke holes like people have suggested and then brush on a thin layer of plastic cement over the holes. It should give the effect of the shots burning through the armor. While it may not look exactly how the weapon is supposed to work it would definitely look cool. The 'Eavy Metal team achieved a similar effect on a nurgle terminator in a WD awhile back. It looked great.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 21:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I disagree with everyone

In every game/movie I have seen with an ion type weapon it has always been a drawn out beam, not a machine gun style attack. I would make a single ring the size of a CIB drilled through the gut of the space marine.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Amaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2007, 23:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I did a google image search for "ion damage" and got this: