Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Magnets On Crisis Suits
Old 28 Jan 2005, 17:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Magnets On Crisis Suits

Many people have been wondering about how to use magnets on a Crisis Suit, and I believe that I have figured out a way without using the really expensive rare earth magnets.* Thanks to Rjay for the suggestion for the pictures and www.imageshack.us for the uploading, extremly helpful!!! Also please be patient with the loading process, the pictures are really big!

1) Tools: I just use the standard strip magnets (they have a glue-adhesive on the back with some kind of paper covering it) that you can get at any craft store (or better yet, Wal-Mart), a sharp hobby knife, a thin file, Games Workshop plastic Glue, and a ruler.

2) Cutting: This is the most important step, so don't try to mess it up.* When you look at the arm, it has a small slot that hold the weapons on, so I used this as a center when I was cutting down.* I went about 0.5 cm in width (hand to elbow).* This provides enough space for a nice magnet that will hold a weapon in place.* As I went deep into the arm, I used the size of thickness of the magnet to help figure out how far into the arm I should go, about the thickness of a penny will do fine.*

As an extra bonus, I went and made the magnet flush with the arm, so It looks great! I did this to both arm and the left shoulder.* The shoulder was no more difficult than the arms, other than it is a little bit trickier to carve out (a picture later).

3) Magnets: I made the magnets fit the hole, not the other way!* It is also important to get the polarities straight with the magnets, for there is nothing more frustrating than finding out that your weapons repell instead of stick!!!* The normal ploarity on the strip goes like this:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * | N | S | N | S |
You can test this easily because when you bend the strip together, it won't stick to itself and slides over.* I used one polarity for the magnets on the crisis suit, and the other for weapons (so it ends up being using with outsides of the strips). I cut the magnets slightly smaller and they slid into place nicely. Be sure to test the magnets before gluing them!

This is an example of magnets in one of the arms:

And the sholder magnet:

4) Weapons There is no real problem when it comes gluing the magnets on the weapons. Just file off the little "nub" that is originally used to stick the weapon onto the arm or shoulder, and just glue down an small square opposite polarity magnet!* (sorry if you can't see it that good, but it's there!)

5) Done! The weapons do stick out a bit, but that's just dandy seeing how you can change your weaponry to match any army.* When figuring out points, make the most expensive configuration you can find and go from there, that way you'll even have points left over when you decide to swap the Rocket Pod to a Burst Cannon.* Now it' time to paint your model! It's fine to paint over the magnets, just don't slop too much on....here's a look at my configurartions!

* * Plain:

* * Conf 1: Plasma Rifle, Sheild Gen, Rocket Pod

Any Questions, Comments?* Feel Free!!!* *;D* Ohh, yeah, before I go, yes this is my only first Crisis suit I have done and yes it is my Shas'o, so no complaints about the weapon configurations I chose, it's only for example!* LOL L8r
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2005, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Magnets On Crisis Suits

Nice Job. I suggest this should be stickied.

R. I. P. DIMEBAG DARRELL - YOUR LEGEND LIVES ON

"The blink of an eye, you know it's me, you keep the dagger close at hand" - Opeth, "Demon of the Fall"
ButterRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2005, 18:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I second that motion. This is really helpful, thanx a bunch! (Btw, how much do the earth magnets cost?)
Elyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2005, 19:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks guys!!! Just trying to help...unfortunately I have not purchased a Hammerhead yet but when I do I'll post it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyas
I second that motion. This is really helpful, thanx a bunch! (Btw, how much do the earth magnets cost?)
You can purchase earth magnets at about 3.75 Canadain (about $2 US) per magnet. Some places have deals that allow you to buy about 50 magnets for around $70 Canadian. It's a bit expensive, but I guess they're worth it for connections that use metal instead of plastic...I'm still not sure whether or not the magnets I used will hold up a metal piece...**mutters to himself which sounds something like cheese cake...***
Old 28 Jan 2005, 20:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterRoll
Nice Job. I suggest this should be stickied.*
..um..sry, but what does it mean to be "stickied?"...***starts dreaming about cheese cake again...***
Old 28 Jan 2005, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

a "stickied topic is one up in the top bar that doesnt "float away" when people stop posting in it.

and I secod the motion for preserving it, but maybe in the conversion thread where it belongs?(the top of the Tau is already cluttered)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
dizzygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2005, 00:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

SWEET!!! Thanks a million!!! Feel free to move it if you want too!
Old 29 Jan 2005, 00:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Great Job there, I've stickied it for now ;D
Old 31 Jan 2005, 02:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to joeboy77

I actually sell rare earth (neodynium) magnets for $5 AU for 10 magnets.

anyone interested, just pm me !!

BTW, the crisis looks awesome !

how do you put photos in the post?

I want to put my broadsides in the pics so you can see what I've done

So get off yer butt and go for your dreams !!

Please Visit http://www.forevermorejewellery.com

Do you know that WoW spelled backwards is WoW ??

Read it upside down, it spells MoM...

Freakky
joeboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2005, 06:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

upload to either http://www.imageshack.us/ or sign up on http://www.photobucket.com for 100mb space and around 1gb bandwidth dedicated image hosting for free :P