Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Making 40k Sized Books
Closed Thread
Old 27 Dec 2004, 09:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Making 40k Sized Books

Recently (as in, sometime in 2004) I was working on making my own Chaplains and Librarians from the plastic marines, and was looking for good books to use on the minis (and most of the decent 40k novels were a little too large and looked silly hanging from their belts – though they made great cover), so I set about making books for them.* I tried to keep it as simple as possible, so as to make my life easier, and so I could spend more time agonizing over how to paint them * *I also wanted to limit the supplies to nothing too exotic, so I could easily produce as many books as I wanted (I had started to think about having a smaller than average book hanging on all the officer’s belts – something like an inspirational hymn book, Chicken Soup for the Marine’s Soul).

While I am sure I am not the first to come up with the idea, I thought I’d share to process and pics for those out there that have been looking for a way to do the same thing.

So, I present “The Book Tutorial” (aka: A quick way to make decent books for your minis):

Ingredients:
Plasticard/Polystyrene (the .015 x .250” / .4x6.3mm Strips work exceptionally well)
Green Stuff (or any other modeling filler – aside from glue)
Exacto Knife & or Modeling Tool
A Coin

1 – Get a piece of Plasticard; the pre-cut strips are nice, since they will give you a consistent size for the book.

2 – Cut a strip off that is about ˝ ”(~12mm) long

3 – Fold the strip in half over a coin, this allows you to fold the strip without creating a crease, giving the spine a curve.* Alternatively, you can cut the strip in half at the ‘fold’ to make a squared off book.

4 – Mix up some Green Stuff

5 – Squish the GS in between the fold, then reopen the book to cut down the GS to be rectangular (I use a modeling tool rather then an exacto for this).* Be sure to cut in from the edge a bit, so the pages are recessed from the cover, do it a little more then you think you would need, as you will be carving pages into the edge next.

6 – Close the cover of the book again and set it aside to allow the GS to cure a bit (15-30 minutes).* I will often stand a metal mini partially on the book to help keep the cover closed.* (Actually, metal terminators work well)

7 – Next, start from the center and score lines around the GS, start from one side and move around the front and then the other side.* I will usually score the line on a side, and then use the edge that cuts through the front to guide me for that line.* This keeps the lines even so they look more like individual pages, rather then random lines.

(You'll have to use your imagination for the missing pics - sorry)

8 – I then sit the book aside (usually wedged under a metal mini again) until it dries.* After it dries you may still find that the cover 'pops' off, use a little super glue (very little) in the center of the GS and press the cover back down.

(See 6)

9 – Then you can add GS details to the book.* I usually GS and detail the binding, add straps, eagle wings and so on.* If you don’t want to GS, you can also cut smaller strips of Plasticard and use those to make straps and the like.* Alternatively, you can just paint your details.

Terminator Holding Book

Not sure how clear my books are, but you might be able to see the bindings have grooves cut in them to give them more of a classic leather bound look.* An eagle’s wing is the clasp for the one book (you may even be able to discern the tiny skull lock binding the covers), while the other has a standard strap and buckle.* The tiny book is going to be the basis of the inspirational book the sergeants carry.

Hope y’all like and/or find this useful

Those of you in Bolter & Chainsword or GW Forums will see much the same posted there - spread the knowledge
Old 27 Dec 2004, 10:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: Making 40k Sized Books

nice. good idea. pics are a bit blurry but you get the idea. top marks
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 27 Dec 2004, 18:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Seto

Ha, those are pretty neat. Good work!
Old 27 Dec 2004, 19:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ooohhh nice.

I like.

thanks alot.

Very good job and thansk for the walk threw that helps alot also.

Old 27 Dec 2004, 20:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default GS Detailing

Yeah, the pic quality is not the best, maybe one day I will either get a better camera, or jsut learn how to properly take close ups of things 1/4" long

Glad that y'all find it useful, figured most races could modify the book (size style or what not), so it is a bit more universal then most of the marine oriented stuff I do.

Ok, quick walkthrough on a book (Sorry for the cruddy pics):

Ingredients:
Green Stuff
Sculpting Tool (can use an exacto, or even a plastic powersword)
Your Pre-Made Book

Start with a point of reference if you are having any issues visualizing – I am using one from the Armageddon site (though I will be using the book I just did earlier, if I wanted to be more accurate, I would have cut the rectangle smaller to make the thinner cover).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ais Manuscript

1 – I added a GS wad for a spine, this will help me to square off the book and create the details.

2 – Smoothed and flattened out the spine with the standard GW tool (use a little oil on the tool to help smooth out the GS).* Smooth the spine and over the top.

3 – Add a piece of GS in the center to be the parchment/bookmark.* Flatten this out and square it off.

4 – Do detail work on spine/binding: add a little more GS to the top/bottom and then smooth it toward to opposite edge, then use the blade to square it off more.

5 – Instead of raised rivets, I used a burnishing tool (essentially just a small rounded tip you could use a pin head or the like) to create recessed rivets (apparently, as this is an old tool, my camera has seen fit to do this shot in b&w ).*

6 – I then added little blobs of GS to the other corners and used the blade to further shape the binding.

7 – Using the flat side on the tool, I patted down the GS corners.

8 – I then used a finer detail blade (you can use an exacto or the like for this) to tidy everything up.

I now have to wait for the GS to dry :P

If I get time, I will try to do the eagle on the cover, do the side binding and get a clearer picture for y’all.

Here is a clearer shot of the books, including the one in progress.

I will GS another and try take clearer step-by-step pics to replace the ones above as well.

The bindings themselves are rather easy; you just coat them with GS, then smooth and round them with gentle strokes from your finger tips (make sure to dip your finger in a bit of veggie oil or rub on the crease of your nose).* Once smooth, use an exacto or sculpting tool to score lines in it where you want them.

Straps can be added after the binding dries, roll out a thin strand of GS and then slightly flatten it and cut to the size you like.* Then lay the strap over the book and press down with a flat edge, preferably something close to the width of the strap.* This helps to get it in place and also to further flatten it out.* Then run a sculpting tool down the edges to even out.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 21:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

very good, could we get this on themain site? or stickied?
go here
Old 27 Dec 2004, 22:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Your books alone are good but the added details on the bindings is what does it for me.

Like the locks and eagle wings!

Really again, good stuff.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 23:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del

One word: Amazing. These books, whilst small, are still bleedin' awesome work!

If I did not float like a bee and sting like a cruise missile when it comes to Green Stuff, I'd give that a whack myself, because a few books could make good objective markers... A battle for important data, a book of names for Daemonhunters to retrive, or just the daily newspaper.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 06:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Final

Never thought about using them for objective markers.. I made one large book for a Dreadnaught I was working on, but had discarded it from the final model, that book is certainly large enough to become a tome to be recovered - just have to do a bit more GS detailing to make it a more suitable single model - thanks for the inspiration!

I finished off the tutorial book - basically, cleaned it up and added the Imperial Eagle:

Yeah, I know it is a bit thicker, I like the slightly bulkier look for a marine (the original tome picture was for a SoB).

The GS details were rather simple, other then the eagle...

Wherever there is a red dot, I pushed into the GS with the burnishing tool to make a recessed rivet.* The blue lines are where I made a 'slice' into the GS to create binding lines.

The eagle was made by creating a small triangle (a very small triangle) and then pressing the fine detail blade into the wings to give them a little texture. A tiny nib of GS was added to the belly for the gem stone and the top edges of the wings were trimmed down to create the eagle heads.

Same holds true on the other book - to make the buckle, I but a small sphere of GS where I wanted it (the black circle) and then flattened it, I then poked holes into it to create the buckle details.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 06:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

hmm.... very exellent and they look even better when painted
go here
Closed Thread