Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Use of Green Stuff
Closed Thread
Old 28 Nov 2004, 18:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Falhandir Send a message via MSN to Falhandir Send a message via Yahoo to Falhandir
Default The Use of Green Stuff

I have: 1 Space Marine Commander, 1 GW modelling tool and 1 pack of green stuff. I have some experience with green stuff, but I want to model hair onto my Space Marine Commander (long ... flowing ... that sort of stuff) so does anyone have any advice?
Old 29 Nov 2004, 13:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: The Use of Green Stuff

a pin would be more help with this than the GW tool.
i have never done this, but know Bloodied Fangs has. PM him and ask, or wait for him to rock up here.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kre Mont re

+++You're in luck, 'cos I just recently sculpted hair onto my Traitor Guard officer (long... flowing... the gifts of Slaanesh ) and (I think) it turned out o.k. All I used was some green stuff, which I sculpted around the head in roughly the right shape, then I scored lines into it with a penknife (my sculpting tool of choice). Simple as that+++
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The hardest thing to do is give the hair body, once thats done detail is relatively simple.
Me, im awful with green stuff, just letting you learn from my mistakes. I think the right toolds helps a great deal, plus a steady hand and more patience than i can muster.

Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Falhandir Send a message via MSN to Falhandir Send a message via Yahoo to Falhandir

Ok, thanks, I think I'll try building it up in the areas I want it before trying a final layer that I can score onto without ruining the whole thing ...
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

+++Good idea Falhandir, although you'll have to make the final layer extremely thin to make sure it doesn't make the hair look like an afro O0+++
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd say the hardest part is getting it to flow, which will be sorted in the lower layers hopefully ...

This is easily my biggest modelling challenge yet ...

Ah well, if it all goes wrong I can give him a head scarf (my Chatper comes from a Desert World)
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

+++Actually, I used to hate sculpting things out of green stuff, it's only with my traitor guard command squad I've actually gotten to grips with it properly. I guess it's true what they say: practise makes perfect. Or it might be the fact I'm actually using decent quality modelling putty for the first time (instead of the poor quality rubbish I used to use)+++
Old 30 Nov 2004, 10:38   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I've used green stuff a little bit recently. Nothing special. added a couple of cloaks to my converted Commisars (from Scouts they have carapace) and added a few symbols to some guys. I'm currently doing a Enginseer with a couple of arms and I'm planning on doing some robes and hood for him (I'm using a Dark Angel model with robes as the base).

Anyway I find that a scapel thats wet (I usually dip it into water) stop the stuff from sticking to the tool and as you already know, build it up in layers is the best approach.
Old 01 Dec 2004, 19:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, I gave it a go ... you decide how it went.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v135/F...=PC0100451.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v135/F...=PC0100456.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v135/F...=PC0100455.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v135/F...=PC0100454.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v135/F...=PC0100453.jpg

What I did:

I mixed up some GW green stuff yellow:blue 2:1 repectively, and took a small amount which I flattened and stretch into a small skin, with a roughly triangular tip which I placed as his "widows peak" and stretched around into the reultant flowing shape, I then took the little blue pin in the background, dipped it in water and began to sort of sketch on the lines of the hair. I then took another long flat rectangular shape which I placed on HIS right temple area and brought that down next to the larger one and merged and added hair lines to that, merging it with the main bulk. I then took two more rectangular strips and made them as thin as possible before rolling them up, placing one hanging from the right and another from the left, positioning them and cutting them down as I saw fit.