Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Microsoft Word - Not Responding
Old 07 May 2010, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Microsoft Word - Not Responding

I've got Vista and Word 2007. I generally don't ever have problems until I start working with 3 columns and bullet points, and only then. Whenever I try adding a new bullet point and change it around (e.g. erase it, type words, etc.) and do something against the auto-correcting format, the whole program will freeze, and then go into the "Not Responding" message of death as the whole document turns blank.

What... the hell?

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 03:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Microsoft Word - Not Responding

Can you give the steps you undertook to reach the "Not responding?" Cause I'm running the same, and 3 columns and bullet points are fine, so I'm wondering if its a specific circumstance. If it crashes for me, then it's probably something with word, and something to make a bug report about. If not, then I would assume it's something with your processor, or possibly either a lack of RAM, or the RAM is filled up.

Darth_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cortex (Darth)
Can you give the steps you undertook to reach the "Not responding?" Cause I'm running the same, and 3 columns and bullet points are fine, so I'm wondering if its a specific circumstance. If it crashes for me, then it's probably something with word, and something to make a bug report about. If not, then I would assume it's something with your processor, or possibly either a lack of RAM, or the RAM is filled up.
The first idea in my mind was the lack of RAM. I was running a song on Youtube, Word, and trying to get a picture together in another program. My laptop overheats like crazy, probably need the heat sync cleaned again. But I turned it off, let it cool, and tried something else. I found out that the most usual problem was a third-party add-in or something like that. I still haven't figured out where or what those are, but multiple people said to re-open Word afresh that cleaned out the add-ins. Well a a few features I liked disappeared, and I was able to run a little longer before I ran into the same problem again. I thought that maybe it was because I started saving documents in my preferred older type documents rather than as a .docx file. That wasn't it either.

Eventually I just kept saving my progress every 10-15 seconds and meticulously fought with the program. Re-ran it again, went smoothly some of the time when it crashed once again, but by then I was almost finished (after some 2 hours or so).

I wanted unequal columns, and it took me awhile to figure out how to adjust them the way I wanted them. I started typing out longer sentences on the third column, and when it indented the second line, I became furious trying to figure out why it was doing that. Didn't find any options to change that as an automatic setting so I had to somehow figure out how to get the second line readjusted under the first one. Found the indent line on the top ruler, and still haven't fully figured that one out.

That's when the biggest problem came with the "Not Responding". I wanted hyphens under the bullet points. MS Word thought that meant I wanted a sub-bullet, and so auto-corrected the location of it. Straining and fighting with it to get the hyphen positioned where I wanted it along with the text, it crashed.

Went back, told the auto-format to not automatically make that hyphen into a bullet point so I could space it how I wanted it. Started typing, crash. Tried again, started making a long string of periods, crash. Tried again, lost the information about the hyphen, pushed enter for another line, crash. Went back, redid everything saving after every word I typed, started making my periods, told the auto-correct not to group the periods into ellipses. Crash. Went in, told it to not change my string of periods, saved my progress. Pushed the space bar to type something after the periods. Crash. Went in again, got the first line done after 24 minutes. Pushed enter for the next line. Crash. Pushed enter for the next line, typed a hyphen, pushed space bar. Crash. Went in, redid the past 3 steps, saved the progress. Told the program not to auto-format the hyphen into a bullet point. Pressed the space bar, tried typing. Crash. Redid that step, saved progress. Typed my first word, crash. Typed the rest of the sentence, saved progress, started making my row of periods, crash.

And I went through that for the next fifteen lines. I was making this.

Games in the Past Month:
Old 08 May 2010, 12:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

What spec of laptop are you running? Vista munches RAM like a fat person munches cake, and if Word 2007 is anything like Microsoft's recent trends, it will too.

Combine them with a laptop that overheats, and restarting probably won't fix much.

Also, it could be a very specific glitch with the software and your laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2010, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strange Child
What spec of laptop are you running? Vista munches RAM like a fat person munches cake, and if Word 2007 is anything like Microsoft's recent trends, it will too.

Combine them with a laptop that overheats, and restarting probably won't fix much.

Also, it could be a very specific glitch with the software and your laptop.
Well to help compensate, I also run Vista in Win98 format and un-installed every unnecessary features of Vista. It's about as pure as you can get. I've been told that helps soak up some of the juice. It's a Compaq Presario C700, got it brand new 3 1/2 years ago I think. I have a cat running around and it sat in the corner of the kitchen where a lot of dust and stuff collected, so the fan will get a bit clogged sometimes. A friend uses an air compressor and *gently* gets all the stuff out of it, seems to help the overheating.

I haven't run Halo Trial in a long while, but I can do that just fine on moderate settings. I used to have a really bad problem with it blowing out on me though, not anymore. Of course, when the bottom gets hot to the touch, I'll stick two ice trays under it, defrost some steak for dinner in half the time you would in soaking hot water, or use two square ice packs.

Why is this important?

Games in the Past Month:
Old 09 May 2010, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviews
Vista feels a bit tight in the 1GB of RAM, it always uses around half of it. Given that the GPU also takes its share, that leaves precious little for applications.
[hr]
The laptop has Vista on it as the operating system. It was my first time using Vista. It wasn’t as bad until I realized that Vista uses more than twice the memory that Windows XP uses. My laptop had 1GB memory and was using close to 700MB of it with just Windows Vista coming up
[hr]
So far I have noticed one bad thing about the laptop. It gets extremely hot – the bottom part of it does -. I used to have a laptop (SONY) that overheated all the time and turned off by itself because of the heat. But that started happening after I had owned the laptop for over a year and used it 24/7. I haven’t owned this laptop for even a week yet.
It appears that this laptop does often have overheating and RAM shortage problems, although you did say you've stripped Vista, which should help a bit.
I think it may be a very specific glitch with something then, because it's unusual to have it break at the same point every time due to overheat/RAM shortage, both of which should be much more randomly occuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
Of course, when the bottom gets hot to the touch, I'll stick two ice trays under it, defrost some steak for dinner in half the time you would in soaking hot water, or use two square ice packs.
The bottom gets too hot to touch? :sadnshocked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Marksman
Why is this important?
The hotter it is, the lower the performance, as said, Vista munches machine power and Word 2007 probably does as well, so that combined with a lower performance than you should get, means that it's entirely possible that it's just breaking because it can't do anything because the processing power/RAM is all being used up and way under what it should be. Especially if it's getting too hot to touch, that's a bad sign right there. However, as I said, I think it's most likely a glitch, because RAM shortage/overheat should be much more random, and not occurring at the same point doing the same thing every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote