Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WH Probability Simulator / Calculator, Mathamawhatzit
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jun 2005, 19:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default WH Probability Simulator / Calculator, Mathamawhatzit

Alright. I've seen lots of talk about some pretty ambitious projects, but I'm thinking it would be nice to whet our appetites on something a bit simpler:

How about a probability/efficiency calculator? I'm not sure if something like this exists, but a handy "pocket sized" version with a nice UI would be great.

Here's what I'm thinking:

The program will have multiple fields, therein you can enter the BS of the shooter, the T of the target, the save of the target, and the stats of yoru weapon (You will be able to SAVE weapon/troop stats after you enter them, for quick access from a pull-down menu. THEN, if the user wishes, they can enter how many troops are firing of the same type, against how many of the other.

Imbedded into the program will be matricies of the firing/assault tables. From there, the program will calculate:

A. Probability to hit
B. Probability to wound
C. Probability they will save.
D. Overall probability to wound.
E. Average casualties inflicted.

From there, we could possibly add in a system that takes point costs into account, calculates the probable effects of "return fire" or a "return assault", and calculates general efficiency and overall feasability of a course of action.

Or, perhaps even a "fishbowl" simulator, which rolls the dice in real-time, for a (single chosen scenario, like Unit A assaulting Unit B) with graphics mimicing casualties and a log reporting what is going on. This would help lend some "real world" experience to people who don't get to play often.

Answers to expected questions:
Q: Why not just imbed the weapon/unit stats in the program itself?
A: Imbeding the fireing tables is walking the copyright line pretty fine as it is. But I don't plan on letting the user see it. They can look it up themselves if they're curious. By having the user enter the values, the program can fit their needs, and can be used for testing house-ruled custom units! (Yay!) With the codex at hand, or with a good memory, it's a simple matter of a few minutes data entry.

Q: Where do I come in?
A: I'm a good technical programmer, algorithms, datastructures, ETC, but I have very little experience with user interfaces! I need a windows program, not a DOS command line program. I'm good at designing graphics themselves, but I need someone to help me integrate it.

If anyone is interested, let me know. It's a fairly simple project, but one that requires a bit of work nonetheless.

And if you want to just chime in and give your support, or say "Hey, that's cool!", that's appreciated too. I want to know if there's enough interest to persue this project ^^;
Old 08 Jun 2005, 05:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: WH Probability Simulator / Calculator, Mathamawhatzit

This brings to mind the NS Damage calculator It would be interesting, however I think it would get really complicated with rerolls etc.

Possibly a simple javascript application, would be what I see as the easiest way to do it. All it needs to do is basic calculations from fractions etc.. interesting idea..
Old 08 Jun 2005, 10:36   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I concur, a HTML and JS program would be better then a full blown program, are you familar with Javascript, Yawgmoth1111 ?
Old 08 Jun 2005, 20:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Ui Veta

Aha..ha.. what a great idea..

I have done this before using the TI-83+ SE, if anybody knows what I'm talking about...

It was very simple, but it wasn't difficult. I also created one using darkbasic, which is fairly simple to use GUIs with.
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
For without Him we are Nothing.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 20:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, the reason why I suggest a full program would be to offer some fairly extensive features beyond just straight calculations.

But yeah, I have an admittedly basic understanding of javascript. Not enough to do what I would want to, however. If you guys think that a straight-up, no frills calculator would see a lot more use, however, I'd be happy to try to create it in JS.

EDIT: Hey, the NS damage calculator is pretty spiffy! I used to play that Mod all the time ^^; Comforting to know it takes 41 heavy machine gun shots to bring down a maxed out fade... Don't even want to check an Onos.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 20:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via MSN to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via Yahoo to WarmasterDevilfish

the days of natural selection, ah how we laughed... You might be pleased to know they finally left beta stage - a shocking revelation i think everyone will agree!

Either way, the calculators are a good idea. We've done something as far as necrons go, a sort of list of what the probability of hitting an opponent is gonna be with necron models... The sheet was originally produced by another member of the CSG however i adapted it to its nice looking self. Either way the link is here: http://www.theutherfish.co.uk/csgb/i...hp?topic=102.0

Hope that helps / gives you an idea...

WD

I feel obliged to say this, my name has nothing, i repeat NOTHING to do with the Tau APC, i chose this name long before I even knew about 40k, based upon a Chinese old wives tale about a fish which can kill you when eaten, it either poisons you if you cook it for too long, or if you don't cook it enough. I feel that should answer your question as to why i am the "Devilfish" - Not reccomended for consumption

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts
Space Marines - Crimson Skulls (My own chapter) - 1000pts

Battelfleet Gothic Fleets:
Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Warhammer - High Elves - 2642pts - Now in many bits on my desk... only 100 models to glue and paint :'(
Warhammer 40k - Tau - unknown at present, still working a list
Old 08 Jun 2005, 20:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Do you think we could include it with Digital 40K? Maybe as a stand-alone .exe file...

...Can't wait for D40K!
The Emperor is our guiding light, a beacon of hope for humanity in a galaxy of darkness. As we serve him, he is our greatest servant. As we pray to him, his thoughts are only for us. And in the dark when the shadows threaten, the Emperor is with us, in spirit and in fact.

Adore the Immortal Emperor; Admire the Immortal Emperor; Exalt the Immortal Emperor; Revere the Immortal Emperor; Venerate the Immortal Emperor; Honour the Immortal Emperor; Glorify the Immortal Emperor; Praise the Immortal Emperor; Hail the Immortal Emperor; Worship the Immortal Emperor
Old 09 Jun 2005, 08:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via MSN to WarmasterDevilfish Send a message via Yahoo to WarmasterDevilfish

loves to push his d40k don't you

The thing is, if its made available as a freeware, under the gpl as long as you maintain all documentation in its original form, theres nothing to stop you including a version in your package...

Obviously it would be nice to ask permission, but technically you don't have to...

Either way, as i said, the idea is feasable (heck if it can be done in excel it must be possible in c of all things)

Anyway if you need my services you know where to find me..

WD

I feel obliged to say this, my name has nothing, i repeat NOTHING to do with the Tau APC, i chose this name long before I even knew about 40k, based upon a Chinese old wives tale about a fish which can kill you when eaten, it either poisons you if you cook it for too long, or if you don't cook it enough. I feel that should answer your question as to why i am the "Devilfish" - Not reccomended for consumption

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts

Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Warhammer - High Elves - 2642pts - Now in many bits on my desk... only 100 models to glue and paint :'(
Old 09 Jun 2005, 10:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What's a mathamawazit?

Quote:
But yeah, I have an admittedly basic understanding of javascript. Not enough to do what I would want to, however. If you guys think that a straight-up, no frills calculator would see a lot more use, however, I'd be happy to try to create it in JS.
What else do you mean? That would be sweet if it was so extensive as to suggest what to attack what with using positions of your regiments and your enemies, objectives etc.

Regardless, I do think that you should have a miniature version that you make for all systems, including winCE and other pocket-sized thingamajigs, because people would want that sort of thing, its just obvious. Of course, you would have an immediate advantage, but heck, I'd do it.

Old 09 Jun 2005, 14:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah, whatever you do, please leave it open source so i can convert it to wince so i can run it on my pda... that would be very handy to have all things considered.

When you start talking about what to attack with, that becomes basically AI, which takes the fun out of the game, you might aswell just give your computer arms and let it play for you (aside from being rather hard to construct, it would make the game so boring it'd be like being told what to do by a computer... :P *sarcasm intended*)

40k Armies:
Chaos - Khorne - 1400pts

Chaos - Khorne - 3505pts

Armies in the Pipeline:
Closed Thread