Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need an RF controller
Old 02 Jul 2008, 02:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Need an RF controller

Aright, basically, here's what Im doing. FAA regulations require having a manual override for any personally operated UAVs. I need a decent suggestion for an RF controller for me, as well as a matching antenna for the aircraft, and Id prefer it be easily modified.

List of stuff I care about:
Low power...I realize this likely trades off with range. I don't need an immense range for testing.
Low weight(dont care about on the controller side, just the aircraft side).
Flexible. I'll need a 3axis control to run it manually, and of course, I'll need a way to toggle between automatic flight and manual control. Ideally, I'll also want other controls as well. I don't know what particular needless gadgets I'll be using at any given time, so I don't have specific specifications, but in short, the more buttons and levers I have available to modify, preferably with relative ease, the better.

Any suggestions?

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2008, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Need an RF controller

Search "4 axis radio controller" on google. I was doing some looking around a few months ago; there is plenty out there. Instead of RF use RC. Basically anything used for model airplanes will suit you. It'll cost a fair bit of money, at least $100 or so though.

Tell me more about this UAV.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 02:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Eh, Im bored, and hadn't done any electrical engineering stuff since college, figured I'd hit up digikey.com and some other discount electronic sites and get back into it. Now, simple, practical projects tend to get boring rather quickly, so I figured I'd try something a bit crazier.

Got me some balsa for a light airframe, a grab bag of different electric motors(I intend to use a 5v, so all my circuitry will stay at the same voltage for simplicity, at least for now), which I need to do some proper experimentation with to determine what'll fit my needs best...but that requires either more math than I care to do, or building the airframe first to figure out how much thrust I need.

The actual airframe will resemble a revered sailplane(canards ahead of wing, no horizontal tail fins), which will require a bit more careful weight distribution than a standard layout, but should get me better efficiency. Slight tilt up on the wings, for stability, very low aspect ratio, and electrically powered. Using nicads atm, since they're inexpensive rechargables, but I imagine the end choice will be lithium polymer.

If I could find a reasonably priced source of large aerogel chunks, that'd be ideal, but right now that stuff is still obscenely expensive, unless I want to deal with the somewhat touchy and lengthy process of making my own.

My various opinions and tacticas, in article form: Ad clicks always appreciated.

Latest article topic: Video game design

Best free webhost Ive found yet: http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/2353.html
Tyndmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 07:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

You know what you could try; stop by Target or Wal Mart and pick up a super-cheap little RC plane, and tear it apart for parts. If you're only spending $30, whats it matter if it doesn't work quite so great.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote