Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Daemon Help!
Old 27 May 2010, 05:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Daemon Help!

What is a good size squad for bloodthirsters. I've found 10 to be ok but unwed enough to survive shooting and assaulting into terrain. I'm thinking 12-14 or using 13 would be a cool number.

I figure I need a prince to combat dreads. Mainly blood angel dreads. Just curious how should I build a good prince while no spending 200 pts. Also for 250 and under which greater daemon should I run that can handle dreads. Flight or fleet seems to be good requirements. I've only used weaver so far and he doesn't work for me.

Also currently I'm using skulltaker on juggernaught with 2 juggernaughts, should I run him with 3 or is 2 good enough. I have to relook but I think I can take advantage of wound allocation with them.

Edit 2: I'm torn between keeper and bloothirster.

The keeper with gaze and musk hit for 230 pts. Saving me 100 pts easy. I could leave combat and put -2 attacks on one model and -1 to everyone else. Plus I have frag grenades and will go simo or attack first most of the time. Great against Mephistopheles for 20 pts less. Also 7 attacks on the charge is nasty. Also fleet helps to get into combat. Might get pavane to pull units out off cover so khorne units may assault at int 5.

The bloodthister for 250 isn't bad either. The ws is redonkeyless, 3+ save, have flight, 6 attacks and str 8 on the charge. More durable to units firing at it. The higher str helps against t6 and greater models. Keeper makes up for this by -2 attacks and an extra attack. Both can pop armour. Just bloodthirster is more likely to do it.
Old 27 May 2010, 06:57   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Daemon Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
What is a good size squad for bloodthirsters. I've found 10 to be ok but unwed enough to survive shooting and assaulting into terrain. I'm thinking 12-14 or using 13 would be a cool number.

I figure I need a prince to combat dreads. Mainly blood angel dreads. Just curious how should I build a good prince while no spending 200 pts. Also for 250 and under which greater daemon should I run that can handle dreads. Flight or fleet seems to be good requirements. I've only used weaver so far and he doesn't work for me.

Also currently I'm using skulltaker on juggernaught with 2 juggernaughts, should I run him with 3 or is 2 good enough. I have to relook but I think I can take advantage of wound allocation with them.
Ok you say Bloodthirsters, which are Greater Daemons of Khorne, so I'm going to assume you mean Bloodletters, since 10 Bloodthirsters would cost 2500pts. I run Bloodletters in groups of 8 since that is Khorne's number, it has a small enough footprint, and it has enough guys that, unless you drop them somewhere foolish, they will make it into CC next turn. In high points games I'll run 16 since that's another Khorne number, and it piles in more bodies to withstand shooting.
My prince is always a Flying Nurgle Prince with Noxious Touch, Iron Hide, Unholy Might and Breath of Chaos, good for killing everything. If I were tuning for Dread killing, I'd go Flying, Unholy Might, Mark of Tzeentch, and Bolt of Tzeentch/Breath of Chaos. This is 220 points if my sleepy brain does the math right.
Great Unclean ones are the cheapest Greater Daemon, but they are also the slowest. Their buff (FnP) is negated by Dreadnaughts, so I might suggest a naked Bloodthirster, his wings will let him catch the buggers, and his MC status will help him penetrate the Dread. If you have the points, consider giving him Unholy Might. A Lord of Change wouldn't be as effective in this role, IMO.
Skulltaker, IMO, is points overkill. I could take a well kitted Herald on a Juggernaut and almost fit in another Bloodcrusher. My Juggernaut Death Star (1 Herald on Juggernaut, w/ BotBG, FoK, UM, with 5 Bloodcrushers, one with Icon, one with FoC) kills anything it runs up against and can withstand some serious punishment. Skulltakers decapitation skill seems wasted in a Death Star unit since anything they run against will be drowned in wounds anyway
Old 27 May 2010, 12:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks. 16 might be a bit much but I'll see if I can fit it in. I'll see how a herald would work out. Str 6 power weapon attacks should acomplish about the same as taker for 100 pts less. The rending on 4s was really nice. Expecally against high toughness creature.

Might use the khorne hq mc since he's probably what I'm looking for. Nurgle prince looks ok. But I need anti- dreadnaught the wounding on 2s isn't bad. The breath of choas is a must.

Edit:
I just looked over the herald. The juggernaut herald will hit me for 120 with unholy might. Should I take fury of khorne though. The chance of rend is slim but instead of glancing normal dreads he'll be pinning them. Plus it'll make him cost 130. Which is cheaper than taker for 175 which I'm only giving up 1 attack.

I'll be looking over the hq mc and the princes.

Edit:3
Got to fix 2nd edit which is in my first post.
170 pts I can have a generic prince with breath of chaos and wings. I guess wings is a maybe. I was hoping to stay in the 150 price range. If I spend near 200 pts I might as well take 2 slaansh daemon hq mcs and call it a day.

So I'll probably need a footty price with flame attack.
Old 27 May 2010, 14:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicop76
Great against Mephistopheles for 20 pts less.
Im assuming you mean mephiston but, as he has no invulnurable, any MC that strikes before him will have a good chance of dealing some smack. Also, he is not immune to instant death so anyone that has killing blow would be an easy way of crushing him
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2010, 16:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dream 2000 daemon army.
Hq
210 keeper of secreats: transfixing gaze
130 herald juggernaut: unholy might, fury of khorne
130 herald chariot Tzeentch: breath of choas, master of sorcery, bolt of tzeench

Elite
105 3 flamers of tzeentch
105 3 flamers of tzeentch
135 3 bloodcrushers: fury, instrument
Troops
95 5 pink horrors: bolt
100 pink horrors: bolt, changeling
160 10 bloodletters
160 10 bloodletters

Heavy
160 Soul Grinder: Phlegm
160 Soul Grinder: Phlegm
1845 total

I've droped taker, weaver, and grinder and replaced them with keeper, and heralds of tzeench and khorne.

I also added another juggernaut giveing one an instrument and another rending so I can distribute wounds for allocation like orks.

I have 150 points to spare for 2000 pts which probably go towards more bloodletters and a cheap prince.

I may drop a juggernaut with rending so I can add more bloodletters for my 1850 list.

@ Hen killing blow??????
I think you mean soul devourer which works if he fails his own leadership which seems unlikely.