Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So about these Daemons...
Old 23 Apr 2010, 13:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default So about these Daemons...

I've been trying and trying to get my friend to start 40k, and finally got him interested. The problem is that he's interested in a faction that I know nothing about, the forces of Chaos and specifically the pure daemons lists. He loves the idea of spawning daemons all over the battlefield, and the fact that nobody hardly plays daemons.

The first thing I noticed while roaming around Games Workshops site was the price tag on this army. Not a lot of plastic means it'll soar to heights cost wise, or so it seems. And the funnest army size to me time/variety wise is 1k, so is he looking forward to spending tons of cash if he chooses to pursue this particular army?

He took a quick interest in Tzeentch, which I understand to be the psychics/range for daemons. I know that mono god armies are somewhat difficult to play, but how effective might this army be. I will be looking into the codex to get a better understanding, but people willing to share first hand experience is welcome.

Is there any obvious "stay away" from units that he really shouldn't waste money on? I ask this mainly because he doesn't make scads of money, and I want him to keep interesting in the gaming aspect. The modeling part will likely follow if I know him as good as I think I do.

Anything else anybody felt like sharing is a welcome read for myself. I'm really excited about finally getting him to start enjoying something that I've enjoyed for so long. Thank you all.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2010, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: So about these Daemons...

I suggest he should start talking to the pros in his gaming region.

Running a daemon army is a difficult one at best.

I'll post later after several people have done so to get their opinions first 0
Old 25 Apr 2010, 05:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death

I personal don't play Daemons but I have a friend that runs a Khorne army and from what I have noticed that don't seem that hard to use, or maybe that's just Khorne.
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 00:21   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I play Khorne and Nurgle mostly and I haven't had any real problems with them, as long as you role well for deep strike, you just can't go wrong with Bllodletters. I don't use the other gods much I just never cared for them and I think the psychic powers are weak, but thats just my opinion. A good battle plan is required for deamons and you need to be able to adjust your strategy on the fly if things start to go against your original plans.
Dervish14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 01:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

you should tell him to proxy a game first. I got that advice from someone else on this board, and although it didn't change my plans, it could at least give him a feel for the game and army.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 02:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'll proxy the army. I still don't own one but I proxy it a lot. If he goes Tzeentch there isn't really a keep a way unit. I like small horror squads with bolt of tzeench for extra anti vehicle.

Liking the soul grinder so far. Daemon Prince isn't really working well for me.

For Hq you can take 4 5 wound models that is very good.

I have mixed feeling about Fate Weaver. Against guard psychic squad they Can make his leadership lower.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 10:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think I'll attempt to get him to play some proxy games. He's a weird fellow, all or nothing type. Perhaps he'll agree to that though :P. Thanks all for the advice given thus far, I've been reading around getting as much a feel as I can for these Daemons. They look to be interesting in deed.
Old 01 May 2010, 07:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Playing a themed Daemon army is difficult at best. A combination army is what you will need, the khorne zeech combination works well.
Old 01 May 2010, 19:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think he might enjoy a khorne tzeench army. He loves the look of the bloodletters and khorne berzerkers, and how frenzied they are to fight. And the tzeench psychic powers had him pretty pumped up. Doesn't sound like too bad of a combination.
Old 01 May 2010, 19:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

You can't take Khorne Berzerkers in the Daemon codex unless you are using them as a count as unit. I think most people just mix and match the god specific units. It is very hard to make a mono-god list that can do well, unless you are a very good general. If he does Khorne, the bloodcrushers are a great unit as are the bloodletters.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote