Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new daemons player
Old 19 Apr 2010, 04:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default new daemons player

hey everybody, recently, I was absolutely destroyed in a game by chaos daemons, and since i was going to start a new army, I decided to go with them. I currently have the very beginnings of an army, and am looking for suggestions for a list to build up towards. I prefer tzeentch and khorne units, but the masque looks very useful. please help. oh, and are screamers very good? I love the models and would like to include some.

thanks all.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
big mek metalgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 06:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: new daemons player

Tzeench is very good with shooting. While khorne is good at hand to hand.

Screamers is pretty good for taking out slow vehicles. I'll say a group of 6 or more would ruin a vehicles day.

The Masque in my experance isn't a great toon, but I'll rate her as ok.

Fateweaver would be good to help your khorne models survive against shooting. You would generally ds your khorne behind your tzeench to use as a counter charge since tzeench is basically tau in combat.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 06:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Fateweaver is awesome, but very expensive. I wouldn't recommend taking him at point levels below 1750 or so. At 2000 and above he rocks, though.

The biggest question you have to answer in a Daemon list is "how am I going to deal with heavy armor." The only decently reliable way is to Mark of Khorne Daemon Prince. Bolt of Tzeentch isn't strong enough for big stuff, the soulgrinder's railtongue is too inaccurate, and it's hard to get him into melee without taking a melta shot between the eyes! I still like the soulgrinder, but it's hard to kill vehicles with him.

I would highly recommend Flamers of Tzeentch and adding The Changeling to one of your Horror squads. Even if he doesn't do anything useful, he's great fun! Khorne Bloodletters and Bloodcrushers are also good units. I think Khorne and Tzeentch (which is the alliance I play) have the nicest Elite choices in the Daemon army, so fill up those Elite slots.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2010, 18:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

what about furies? does anyone use those at all? or should i ignore them, and instead just go with the flamers?
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 21:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mek metalgutz
what about furies? does anyone use those at all? or should i ignore them, and instead just go with the flamers?
Well, they're different force org slots. Furies are Fast Attack; Flamers are Elite. Are you thinking Screamers rather than Flamers? I haven't used either one yet, mostly because the models are so expensive, but I think the screamers are a better bet. Furies are just a tarpit and distraction unit, while screamers carry meltabombs. In spite of the advice I just gave, I'm considering running a few furies for Ard Boyz since I have some tyranid gargoyle models that would stand in fairly well.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 22:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

so far im thinking flamers, as the list im looking towards already has some reasonable anti-tank (mark of khorne daemon prince), but i may replace the flamers. also, what do you mean by 'ard boyz? I assume you dont mean the ork unit.

how many boards
could the mongols hoard
if the mongol hordes
got bored?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 23:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
so far im thinking flamers, as the list im looking towards already has some reasonable anti-tank (mark of khorne daemon prince), but i may replace the flamers. also, what do you mean by 'ard boyz? I assume you dont mean the ork unit.
Right, NEW Daemon player! Apologies...

Ard Boyz is an ork-themed annual tournament, run by GW, that is all about gameplay and nothing about presentation or painting. Models don't have to be painted or based, just fully assembled. Ard Boyz is just the name for it, and the tournament doesn't require you to play orks or anything. It's 2500 points, which is the top end of where the rules are balanced. More info can be found here...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...sp?aId=9500009

Back to the original question, I would NOT take out the flamers. Run them in squads of 3 and have them deep strike next to something expensive. They will take it out, and then your opponent will make absolutely sure they die. Look carefully at what their Breath of Chaos ability does. It is deadly.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 23:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
hey everybody, recently, I was absolutely destroyed in a game by chaos daemons, and since i was going to start a new army, I decided to go with them.
I don't play as Daemons, but I have seen people start armies purely because they've been thrashed by them recently. It doesn't usually work out well :P.

So, advice from a player who's seen people "get stuck" with/waste money on armies they don't like before: proxy some fights first. Make sure you like to play that way. Also, maybe seeing if you can practice painting one or two models might be good too because if you hate painting your army, well... given that you spend a lot of time painting it may not matter that you like the playstyle...

Sounds like you enjoy them and are already on a good start though so maybe I'm being needlessly cautionary
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 01:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Good points, We-Tain. The thing I would add about painting them is that most of the Daemon models are only available in metal. Bloodletters and Daemonettes are plastic, but not much else is.

For people who keep getting thrashed by Daemons, there is an easy counter: don't deploy anything. The Flamers in particular, are only useful if they have a juicy target to drop in right next to. If you take 2nd turn and leave your whole army in reserve, there's a good chance that you can engage the Daemons on your terms rather than theirs.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 12:56   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I personally despise Daemons because the army list totally goes against its own fluff. Mono-God lists should be the norm, with a "united" force representing a truly cataclysmic event. As it is, Mono-God lists (with the possible exception of Nurgling-Bomb armies) are pretty much useless.

As such, I would strongly encourage you to proxy any army before buying any models; the last thing you want is to be stuck with an army that can't perform on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote