Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Daemons and the wolves
Old 08 Oct 2009, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Daemons and the wolves

Seeing that the new wolves are on the horizon, what would be your plans to counter this new army on the metascene?

My personal remedy for this are essentially cutting down on my horrors and including in a DP or two for the extra close-combat punch, while maximizing on both Breath of Chaos and Gift of Chaos upgrades to counter the threats from the books and torch and mutate as much of those puppies as possible. As for good o' Kairos, I am uncertain about switching him out instead for several Heralds of Tzeentch.

Discuss how the new Wolves affected your army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2009, 22:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default Re: Daemons and the wolves

well i don't play deamons, but i would avoid any walking HQ's or anything walking for that matter. it seems that armies are going to have to minimize troops as much as possible without sacrificing the amount of objective holders.
Death-Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2009, 08:53   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I dare say that the Slaaneshi and Khornate armies out there will handle them just as well as regular space marines - the main fear of Space wolves, something that is troubling my orks at the moment, is that they can seriously pump out the attacks! However, slaanesh and charging daemons will be able to strike before space wolves - so it becomes just killing space marines.

Only problem will be the new psychic powers! Jaws of the wolf is going to be murder for nurgle!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2009, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
I dare say that the Slaaneshi and Khornate armies out there will handle them just as well as regular space marines - the main fear of Space wolves, something that is troubling my orks at the moment, is that they can seriously pump out the attacks! However, slaanesh and charging daemons will be able to strike before space wolves - so it becomes just killing space marines.

Only problem will be the new psychic powers! Jaws of the wolf is going to be murder for nurgle!
Agreed to a degree. The characters comprised an extremely large proportion of the total point cost allocation for the army that borders on the unhealthy, and once these characters are down, the wolves are screwed. But more often than not, they will be buried in units that can soak the damage enough for them to do their work.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 09 Oct 2009, 18:49   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Unless they are independant characters of course - lets not forget that we can field a decent amount of characters of our own to take them out. I don't think much is going to stand up to a chariot mounted skulltaker.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2009, 19:10   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Unless they are independant characters of course - lets not forget that we can field a decent amount of characters of our own to take them out. I don't think much is going to stand up to a chariot mounted skulltaker.
I am personally more worried about the normal wolves than the HQs and special characters.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 11 Nov 2009, 04:55   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I dont know, I have had 3 games now against the new wolves. 1 win, 1 loss, and a draw last night 5 kps to 5 kps. They are not horrible to play against, but take a bit of for planning. You know you are having fun when your 7-man unit of horrors with a herald of tzeentch drop down first turn and blow away a 4-man unit of thunderwolves turn 1.
Trevor Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2010, 07:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Space wolves are nothing to brag about now. Recently ran into a person using wolves and wolf calvary. They died faster than space marines due to their SV.

But I am putting up 50 Daemonettes, 1 Daemon prince and the Masque in 1000 points as an example. I generally like a high model count army in the first place.

In the sake of the idea of using wolves in the SW army. It is a good idea and if I want to peruse that in the future I just might. But as I have made in a previous post elsewhere, I am upset on what they have done with the space wolf army and that army is now in storage.