Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mortal to Immortal: Help me!
Old 01 Jun 2009, 13:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Mortal to Immortal: Help me!

Heya,

I'm wanting to start Chaos Daemons for a new army to game with over the summer, however I have come to a bit of a problem. I have no problem making an army list or funding the project, what I am stuck with is which army list to choose. I have two army lists which I will present, one is a "mono-Khorne" list and the other is a "Slaanesh-Tzeentch" collaboration, I'm not asking for advice or improvements but what I would like is some help to make a choice as I have never played Chaos Daemons before. I reckon it may help you help me if I tell you what I want out of the army:
  • I will be playing a lot of pick-up games so I won't have a specific opponent, I could also be part of a fun/narrative campaign.
  • As I'll be gaming at a GW store, the boards will be 4x4.
  • I want to be able to kill Marines with ease, the store I go to has a high ratio of loyalist players.
  • I don't want to spend too much time building the army, as mentioned I would like to be ready for the summer time.
  • I won't be in a competitive environment (phew!) :P

Quote:
1000pts Chaos Daemons

HQ

Skulltaker = 140pts

Herald of Khorne = 120pts
- Juggernaut
- Blessing of the Blood God
- Fury of Khorne

Elites

Bloodcrushers of Khorne = 120pts
3 x Bloodcrushers

Troops

Bloodletters of Khorne = 153pts
1 x Bloodletter - Chaos Icon
7 x Bloodletters

7 x Bloodletters

7 x Bloodletters

Heavy Support

Soul Grinder = 160pts
- Phlegm

Total = 999pts
Quote:
1000pts Chaos Daemons

HQ

The Masque = 100pts

Herald of Slaanesh = 90pts
- Daemonic Gaze
- Unholy Might
- Transfixing Gaze

Elites

Fiends of Slaanesh = 150pts
5 x Fiends

Troops

Daemonettes of Slaanesh = 140pts
10 x Daemonettes

Daemonettes of Slaanesh = 140pts
10 x Daemonettes

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch = 170pts
10 x Pink Horrors

Fast Attack

Screamers of Tzeentch = 48pts
3 x Screamers

Heavy Support

Soulgrinder of Chaos = 160pts
- Phlegm

Total = 998pts
ARCHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 14:18   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Mortal to Immortal: Help me!

Definitely Khorne! Bloodletters and their Power Weapons as well as Furious Charge can definitely kill Space Marines.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2009, 14:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
Definitely Khorne! Bloodletters and their Power Weapons as well as Furious Charge can definitely kill Space Marines.
The problem I have is that both lists are really good, what I like about the Khornate one is that they dominate in the assault phase and are very, very powerful. However one concern I do have is my units becoming isolated and picked off, with the only ranged attacks coming from the Soul Grinder it will become a high priority target for my opponent(s). Also one big plus about the army is Skulltaker, I have no need to fear anything that is not in a vehicle, this guy should perform really well at 1000pts.

What I like about the second list is the mixture of combat and shooting, I have a lot of anti-tank and I really like the sheer power of the Fiends of Slaanesh. The Masque will be great in messing up the enemy lines, shifting objective campers, drawing victims into assault range, the tactical possibilities are limitless! However what I dislike is the fragility of the army, Daemonettes are not very resilient and Horrors just wouldn't survive if they were assaulted, what the Khornate list has over the second list is raw combat power to the exclusion of everything else, what the second list has is balance and more tactical options.

Old 01 Jun 2009, 14:46   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

I feel Soulgrinder is good for that Large Blast Template so let it draw fire while your Bloodletters march unmolested. If you fear being isolated, bring more Icons to the table. Anyway, Chaos Daemons is all about whether you totally screw up your Deep-Strike and you have lost all of your advantages or you land where you want or at least, somewhere your units still can be useful. It's a Do or Die thing. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 01 Jun 2009, 18:45   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

What I would like to know is how would the Daemons cope in Cities of Death battles? The GW store I go to seem to be heavily inclined towards Cities of Death when it comes to campaigns, not that it is a bad thing, but I wonder how Daemons would manage deep striking into all of that terrain?

It is a toss-up between these Daemons and Imperial Guard, the Khornate list has the brute force but I reckon the Guard would work better in battles like Cities of Death where there is a lot of cover.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 00:43   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

I would say they would be a lot of Dangerous Terrain but that's it. You might lose 1 or 2 on landing but the Cover Saves and getting out of LoS can be pretty useful for a CQC-Army like Mono-Khorne Army Lists. But I would try to avoid the Impassable Terrain if you had any. Again, I wouldn't worry too much. Take advantage of the huge number of terrains on the board. Land nearby but out of LoS. Jump from cover to cover then jump them for the killing blow.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 07:51   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

If you're worried about fragility - have you thought about taking fateweaver? Things seem to feel alot tougher with a re-rollable cover save.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2009, 15:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage

I liked playing the mono khorne army, but it clearly lacked anti- vehicle options. I would deploy your herald with your bloodcrushers, take fury of khorne and/ or unholy strength when you can to get over that problem as much as possible. The 8 strong bloodletters is effective to a certain point. That first turn lost is a blaring weakness of the daemons army. Also with the lack of any real defensive options, holding an objective can be quite difficult, it's best to have your bloodletters in thier element... Charging at your opponent using that extra 1 strength and initiative bonus for furious charge ( the only way they can take out anything stronger than an armor of 12)

Once in close combat with something, say a dreadnought, they can't do anything to win, only hold it off and deepstrike another unit to get ready to charge the dreadnought.

My new army list after seeing the weaknesses of a mono khorne list uses seekers of slaanesh in place of a herald, an icon bearer, bloodletters as shock troops, leaving behind plaguebearers to hold an objective

Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 02:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
If you're worried about fragility - have you thought about taking fateweaver? Things seem to feel alot tougher with a re-rollable cover save.
In my opinion, based on a few games and lots of reading, Fateweaver is the American Express Card of Daemon armies: don't leave home without him! He's big, he's tough, he can fire three Tzeentch gifts per turn, he gives everyone near him rerollable saves, and he's fast enough to be near the units that need protecting.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote