Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

a... What # in a squad?
Old 22 May 2009, 13:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage
Default a... What # in a squad?

Hello all, I'm new to the chaos daemons experience (current tau and former ork player) and I'm experincing a conundrum, what's the most efficient number for bloodletters (BL), I've been fielding 6 squads of 8, which gives me a lot more flexibility, but with that one turn lost to deepstriking, or a slow footslogging, I lose roughly 2-4 by the time I get my first assault, (vs tau) now when I get to close range, they take down about half of the BLs' current number.

The obvious solution, include more in the squad to mitigate the losses, but at what point does the number gain become too much of a risk with deep strike mishap table?
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 14:49   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: a... What # in a squad?

I think I would recommend a small number of large squads; maybe 3x16 instead of 6x8. You do have to be slightly more conservative with your deep-striking, but it also reduces the likelihood of coming in piecemeal and getting mowed down before you can get into CC. The most important thing is DS into or near cover and don't forget to go to ground if you think your squad will get wiped.
karnij7877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2009, 15:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Mirage
Default Re: a... What # in a squad?

I'll try it, but I'm also going to try the middle ground between the two, 4x12 BLs... I may be giving up a certain amount of fluff by not having a multiple of 8... Now for the mathhammer..

3x16- a 1 in 3 chance of deepstrike mishap. 2 squads left= 32 bloodletters left. 4 models down in each squad- 24 left, 2 squads of 12 w/ 50% success rate, 6 opposing models down to 24 models lost...

4x12-a 1 in 3 chance of deepstrike mishap. 3 squads left= 36 BLs left. 4 models down in each squad- 24 BLs left- 3 squads of 8... 50% kill rate- 12 opposing models down to 24 lost... A 50% yeild with more flexible units
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote