Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Daemons Unit Analysis/Tactica
Old 22 Mar 2009, 01:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Chaos Daemons Unit Analysis/Tactica

Hey guys, I've noticed a lull in posts being made on this sub forum and I want to get some ideas going back and forth. What better way than to start up a Tau Online Chaos Daemons Tactica?

Confused? Have no fear, my third person self will attempt to cover the basics.
What does this mean hiro?
It means that I, along with the other daemon players of this forum will start to go over the strengths, weaknesses, abilities and tactics of each and every unit choice from the Daemon codex.

So am I allowed to post too?
Of course! I'm trying to get everyone's opinions on how to use certain units and how they work with the other parts of the codex.

Sounds like a blast, but I'm a shy lurker and I don't know if I really want to put myself out their; you might be-riddle me.
Have no fear. Everyone's opinion is equally valuable and I, along with others would love to hear what you have to say. What are you waiting for? Become a member and post!

Can I post questions?
Yes, posting questions is perfectly acceptable. They can be about anything that has to do with Daemons, and I'm sure you'll get a quick and helpful reply.

I'll start us off with some HQ analysis and go on from there within the next couple days, but in the mean time post away! Lets create something that Tau Online can be proud of.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 10:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Chaos Daemons Unit Analysis/Tactica

OK, lets start with greater daemons
the basics: there are 4 greater daemons, 1 for each god
bloodthirster = khorne, great unclean one = nurgle, keeper of secrets = slannesh, lord of change = tzeentch

The bloodthirster is a very powerful close combat monster, he can also fly across the battlefield quite fast in order to engage in combat, he can buy a ranged attack however he will be running quite a bit so it isn't necessarily that useful

The great unclean one is the toughest greater daemon, not because of actual toughness (they all have the same) but because of feel no pain
he is a slow greater daemon but won't die easily

The keeper of secrets, like all slaanesh stuff, has a high number of quite powerful attacks and will always strike 1st with its amazing initiative, it is also quite fast due to having fleet

the lord of change is the ultimate magic user, it has a large number of purchasable abilities as well as a number that it already has, it can also fly away from approaching enemies, you don't really want it stuck in close combat do you?

There are 3 greater daemon special characters
A bloodthirster - skarbrand
a great unclean one - ku'gath
a lord of change - fateweaver
I don't know much about these so other people can do that

All greater daemons, being large targets, will act as major fire-magnets, they are tough so can take a lot of it, but when they die, that's a lot of points down the drain, these guys are expensive, try and keep them in some form of cover against really shooty armies unless you think you can reach them quickly

Who's up next?
Old 22 Mar 2009, 10:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I think 40kenthusiast is :P.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2009, 12:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

aha, maybe we should have that moved hear, it'll save us loads of time
Old 22 Mar 2009, 13:14   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Thanks for that Circus - been trying to dig that out for a few days now!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2009, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Since 40kenthusiest already created what I was going for (the thing must have been hidden deep within the generic chaos section...) maybe we could just turn this into a question-answer thread. I'd be happy either way, its whatever you guys think would be most helpful and would get the most interesting ideas out there.
Old 22 Mar 2009, 17:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Thanks for that Circus - been trying to dig that out for a few days now!
It's on the "Important Topics" sticky in the Forces of Chaos section, along with a load of other Daemons articles. Really SILK, you're a moderator, you should know this
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 01:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the daemon list has a critical flaw that it must deepstrike every unit to get into play. What happens when a mech player has enough models to cover most the board? Also, if I don't have any tzeentch units how do I fight mech armies that drive away?
If you could answers these questions that would be sweet!
They hide their faces in snarling iron, but the cruelty, in their hearts is manifest in their brutal deeds. We are lost, and we are done. May the God-Emperor forgive our failure and protect our souls.
-last transmission of General DeLestt, Urdesh
Anarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2009, 01:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1. I think that if your opponent had enough mech units to cover the board you would probably have some terrain that you could hide behind somewhere, at least at the beginning since they have to deploy along a table edge. Besides, if he was that spread out somethings would probably be very vulnerable.

2. I don't think that they would be able to get too far away, since running helps out a lot in 5th. Other than that, I would say bring a couple of DPs or Soulgrinders. Built correctly DPs can provide some good shooting and still follow whatever fluff you want.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote