Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A competitive review of the Codex Chaos Daemons units
Old 05 May 2008, 01:59   #21 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: A competitive review of the Codex Chaos Daemons units

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
Ah, I figured it was in the FNP special rule, saying shooting weapons of double str or cc weapons that ignored armor saves. If someone wants to post the text on FNP that'll sort it out.
Quote:
This ability cannot be used against weapons that inflict Instant Death (those with a Strength fouble or more the model's Toughness) or against close combat weapons that allow no Armour Save (such as power fists, power swords, Dreadnought close combat weapons, rending attacks that roll a 6 to hit, etc).
That's not even 100% clear, but I'm interpreting it as saying Instant Death, and then defining whawt Instant Death is.

A little late, but I hope it helps.

Scribes are a bit odd - they've got 2 powers, neither of which I'm 100% sure on what they do. You choose one to use, and then on a 4+ you can use the other as well. Otherwise, you use the same one again.

I would hope that the Daemons are designed for 5th ed. There's no reason why they shouldn't be. I'm not sure if they're revamping Deep Striking or not, although I'd have to say it's probably not too likely - what is there to fix? Chances are good that Daemons won't be competitive until 5th edition comes out, when their rules will become more solid, but until then we've still got a fun and decently well balanced army to play.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 03:54   #22 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

What are everyone's thoughts on models with fleet being able to assault after deep striking. The leaked pdf says you will be able to run after landing. It also says you can't assault unless you have a special rule that says you can.

So with fleet saying you can assault after running, shouldn't you be able to assault the turn you deepstrike? After all it is a special rule that says you can.
franks1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2008, 07:45   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd rather not comment on the 5th edition rules until they come out, hypothetical rules lawyering is possibly the silliest thing imaginable.
Old 08 May 2008, 21:15   #24 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Can I quote that? It is a valid point though, we're better off waiting till we know what the rules actually are.
Old 08 May 2008, 23:09   #25 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
On Deep Striking the army; I think this, right here, may well render the entire army "non-competative". Adepticon was, in my view, sort of a coming-out party for the new ork codex, and the return of the horde to competative play. With that in mind in the metagame, armies will be toting plenty of anti-horde guns. Deep striking close to your opponent is going to mean you're either scattering badly, or exposed to rapid-fire weapons at close range. If I could charge the turn I arrived, this risk would be worth it. Without that, I'm essentially giving my opponent easily killed targets.
Quality of playability has been down hill. Lack of customization and putting emphasis on selling new models has been lately GW's Achilles heel.

Your assessment is spot on on what exactly are the problems with this codex. I have enough models to immediately play with this codex, and the people that I do game with are RTT champions/Veterans in my area.

I'll make an assessment later later 5th Ed (2nd Ed v2.0) comes out.

Old 09 May 2008, 01:23   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll be playing a game with the models I already own tomorrow night, I'll be sure to comment.

I'll be running (1500);

Keeper of Secrets w/ Might, Musk, Pavane
4 fiends of slaanesh
12 daemonettes w/ icon
10 daemonettes w/ icon
6 seekers of slaanesh
Soulgrinder (defiler model) w/ both gun options
2 daemon princes w/ Mark Slaanesh, Iron Hide, Might, Flight, Musk & Pavane

(This is pretty much the only way I can run it with the models I already own and get to 1500 points - I'm not sure the tricked out princes are worth it, but I gotta make points.)
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 02:46   #27 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow... that's a brute of a force. I cannot see the daemonettes reaching combat, not sure about the fiends, but a greater Demon + soulgrinder + 2 Demon Princes is enough big intimidating monsters to definitely keep the game going unless your enemy is just as good in close combat (though I doubt that).
Old 09 May 2008, 03:04   #28 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, I'm going to try having the daemonettes, seekers and fiends drop down around 18-24" from my opponent on turn 1, hopefully, behind terrain.

If that works, then the daemon princes coming in with Pavanes off the daemonettes icons should pull the enemy closer, while the daemonettes, seekers, and fiends all have fleet, and some get that 12" charge move. With some luck, I'll get to tie up their shooters, giving the slower moving guys into the fight too.

Of course, the chaos gods may frown upon my plan, in which case, the big guys will drop in first, and I'll try to hide them behind some sort of terrain, and maybe between their wings and the pavanes they'll see combat on turn 2 anyway
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 11:42   #29 (permalink)
Shas'La

Good luck with your game RedBeard, and tell us how it goes.

My tactic is going to try to overrun my opponent with lots and lots of Daemonettes.

I have 68 painted and one KoS. I'm ready to go at the 1000 point range. I'm alittle bit of the old Skool type so I don't play unless I have painted models on the board.
Old 10 May 2008, 02:30   #30 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to GRISGIT-warboss

Rebeard, please give us a battle report, with pictures if you would be so kind? ;D
Daemonette Embrace. wow, thats quite a sizeable daemonette hoarde, would you be able to show us some pictures of them over in the showcase?
Cheers
GRISGIT-warboss is offline   Reply With Quote