Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1750 Competitive (As much as they can be!) Thousand Sons
Old 27 Jun 2010, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1750 Competitive (As much as they can be!) Thousand Sons

Hi, folks. I've lurked Tau Online for a while, and found that there is relatively decent advice given out around here, so I am just going to quickly jump right in and present an army I am working on for a Competitive Thousand Sons list (That isnt all TS) that I am planning on rolling out with in a Tournament at the end of next month. It's a variation of a few Chaos lists I've seen and run, albeit worked for a more Tzeentchy theme!

HQ:

Daemon Prince w/ Wings, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime, Bolt of Change (Or Winds of Chaos)

Daemon Prince w/ Wings, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime, Bolt of Change (Or Winds of Chaos)

Elites:

Chaos Chosen (5) w/ 4 Melta Guns (Normal Special Weapon slots), 1 Melta Gun ('Heavy Slot&#039
-- Rhino

Troops:

Thousand Sons Squad w/ 8 Thousand Sons
Aspiring Sorcerer w/ Winds of Chaos, Personal Icon
-- Rhino

Thousand Sons Squad w/ 8 Thousand Sons
Aspiring Sorcerer w/ Winds of Chaos, Personal Icon
-- Rhino

Chaos Marine Squad w/ 10 Chaos Space Marines, Autocannon, Banner of Chaos Glory

Heavy:

Obliterator Cult w/ 3 Oblits

Obliterator Cult w/ 2 Oblits

The list is pretty self explanatory, the two Daemon Princes fly ahead to be walking meat shields and / or the death of infantry who happen to be in their way while the two Thousand Sons and the Chaos Chosen scurry around in the Rhinos do drive byes or mass attacks on needed units, although this description doesnt aptly describe what they can do. While many may disagree, the squad in the back is perfect for what they do especially with ANY mission involving an objective near my deployment. There is no reason to dedicate any sort of expensive unit (such as another TS squad) to sit back when the cheap squad with re-rollable leadership can hunker back and take 2 pop shots a turn. Nothing spectacular, but they do their job. The oblits are just the icing.. Or in some people's opinions.. Cheese on the cake. With the Personal Icons I can DS them down close for a no risk drop, or leave them in the back for artillery. That being said, I am still iffy on this all and I am open to constructive criticism and opinions as I want to make this list the best I can... Without needing to go 'Zerkers and Twin lash princes...
Gravek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 06:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Nakor
Default Re: 1750 Competitive (As much as they can be!) Thousand Sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravek
Troops:

Chaos Marine Squad w/ 9 Chaos Space Marines, Autocannon, Banner of Chaos Glory
Don't you need to have at least 10 CSMs in the squad in order to have an Autocannon?

Otherwise it looks quite neat. Good luck with the torny.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 06:24   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Oops! Sorry, Obsession with nine it seems! The CSM Squad is meant to have 10
Gravek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 16:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its hard to do tournament level armies with thousand sons. You don't have to do 2Lash/zerkers/PMs/oblits to be tournament level. I've seen it and done it very well with normal CSMs, warptime prince, and defilers/vindis or oblits. But it is hard to do it with all TSs.

The princes need a little tweaking. Wings + MoT + warptime is a great combo. Throwing BoC on makes them really expensive and isn't as good as similar options. If you want an expensive super prince warptime + wind of chaos makes for a better combination. A re-rollable wind of chaos eats marines and terminators with ease. The only downside to it is that you can easily wipe out your enemy and not have anything to charge. And even though warptime+WoC is great, its really expensive, when people run them they normally only run one. Two princes is good, but IMO you've got to many points tied up in your HQ units. You might be taking BoC for the anti-tank capabilities but for anti-tank its really not as good as people expect it to be.

The chosen: Honestly you need more guys. The first time they take a wound your losing a melta. And 5 meltas on one unit might be overkill, and this is coming from someone who has the word 'melta' in his list 14 times. 3 meltas can reliably kill or at least immobilize any tank. 10 marines, 2 meltas, champion+combi melta, rhino = 230pts. About 60pts more than the chosen, but its scoring and big enough to be useful in other situations.

The sit back and shoot squad. Chaos NEEDS something that is good at camping objectives in our deployment and being useful. The downside is that we don't. You have a lot of points tied up in a unit that just fires an autocannon. Just an idea, you could take a small squad of TSs with either bolt spell and when it comes time to place your objective put it in terrain on your side but towards the middle of the table. Then put your objective there and put the Tsons there so they can provide support fire while holding the objective. Or use some CSMs with plasmaguns or a plasma/autocannon mix.

If you want the CSM melta squad instead of chosen drop an oblit. To get CSMs with two plasma for objective camping or some tsons just take out the autocannon squad and tweak the points some.

just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote